Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:16 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,164 times

Advertisements

We have had a discussion about how entertaining squirrels are, but I find that humming birds are too. Each feeder will have a guard bird and it is amusing to see the other birds trying to sneak by the guard. The fall migration is now ongoing and the "air combat" can get quite intense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:43 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Most of our hummingbirds have pulled up stakes and have headed for the coast. I left one feeder out, mostly because of the transit birds we get en route to warmer climes. During the last of July and August I was going through a quart of sugar water/day, now,....a small 8 oz feeder will last for two weeks.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:39 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
We have had a discussion about how entertaining squirrels are, but I find that humming birds are too. Each feeder will have a guard bird and it is amusing to see the other birds trying to sneak by the guard. The fall migration is now ongoing and the "air combat" can get quite intense.
I spent a long time in my backyard yesterday watching just that. It's so funny watching them chase other hummers off! There's a lot of attitude in those tiny birds!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:55 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,234,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Most of our hummingbirds have pulled up stakes and have headed for the coast. I left one feeder out, mostly because of the transit birds we get en route to warmer climes. During the last of July and August I was going through a quart of sugar water/day, now,....a small 8 oz feeder will last for two weeks.
Getting quiet here as well, I miss them so till Spring.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:31 PM

Yesterday I watched two "dancing", for the lack of a better description. They were facing each other about one foot apart and moved in almost perfect harmony. I was too busy watching their movements to notice what sex they were.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:16 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
I adore hummingbirds! I have also noticed a sharp decline in the number of hummingbirds I have visiting. I wasn't sure if I should refill my feeders today; I ended up refilling only one (I normally do two) and I only saw one female out there. I could count up to six at a time between the two feeders frequently this summer. I'll miss them!

Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,675 times
I love them too. They must all be coming this way (Phoenix, AZ). I've seen more and more of them fighting over our feeder. A mama Hummingbird built a nest 8 feet from the feeder on a wire on my back porch. She brought two little ones into the world, and it looks like she and their "daddy" and twins are the ones using the feeder. They take turns sitting on a dead branch guarding it. I could sit and watch them for hours. I always wonder what would happen if I put up a couple of feeders. Would the same group take over all of them?

Old 09-19-2010, 08:41 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
I didn't see one hummingbird this year. We have several feeders up and the neighbors have a flowering vine hummingbirds like, but this year was a bust. All our feeders did was attract the occasional yellow jacket. I was very disappointed.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I adore hummingbirds! I have also noticed a sharp decline in the number of hummingbirds I have visiting. I wasn't sure if I should refill my feeders today; I ended up refilling only one (I normally do two) and I only saw one female out there. I could count up to six at a time between the two feeders frequently this summer. I'll miss them!
I leave my feeder up all winter (except when a hard freeze is forecast) because I have seen transients as late as late December and I'm sure they need all the help they can get. That may not be feasible though in MO.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I love them too. They must all be coming this way (Phoenix, AZ). I've seen more and more of them fighting over our feeder. A mama Hummingbird built a nest 8 feet from the feeder on a wire on my back porch. She brought two little ones into the world, and it looks like she and their "daddy" and twins are the ones using the feeder. They take turns sitting on a dead branch guarding it. I could sit and watch them for hours. I always wonder what would happen if I put up a couple of feeders. Would the same group take over all of them?
When I put up more than one I try to keep a great distance between them, and if possible, keep them out of sight of each other. And yes, if they are too close together the "guards" will guard all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden