Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 06:22 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious if anyone can explain this. I've had spring flowering shrubs send out a very few flowers later in the season before, but my Weigela has almost completely rebloomed. It didn't do this last summer, our first year in this house. Also some Columbine and some Myosotis I planted this spring are doing the same. They all started doing this at the end of an unusually long, hot dry spell in July and now the temperatures have gotten more normal again they're going great guns. I don't recall the flowers' tags saying anything about a second bloom. Of course I'm happy, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing, or knows why this would happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
I've had weigelia do that before, and in fact my wine and roses does have flower buds on it.. so looks like that will happen with mine this year as well.

I can't get columbine to survive even one season, let alone come back the next (just have no good conditions for it!) .. so can't comment on that.

Every once and a while I've had an odd lilac fall burst - just one or two pannicles.

So.. think with shrubs its not unheard of.

Enjoy the show!!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
It's abnormally normal, LOL. I got up this morning to see a rose flowering on a spring-blooming climber. And last fall I had lilacs for Thanksgiving.

Don't worry about it. Just make sure your plants have enough food and water and they'll be fine.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:52 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
The weather may be confusing the plants. They will often flower, leaf out, or bloom to ensure reproduction for the next year. It may take more than a year to happen. We had it a few years ago with the trees hit in a terrible snowstorm when all leaves were still on. Branches 10 feet long snapped off like little twigs -- some towns here lost tons of mature trees. Can't even remember how much time we spent removing broken branches with saws. However, we had incredible growth the second year after; the maples produced pods twice and the locusts did as well. Flowers will do the same.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:06 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Thanks for the replies. There has been a lot of odd weather, this winter spring and fall. I guess everyone is confused.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:29 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,855 times
Funny you should post this thread. I had a post a while back about my lantana's dying and couldn't figure out the problem since they love the heat so I gave up on them. They were "dead" for over 2 months and now, after intense heat (100 degrees and higher for over 45 days) and no rain, they are greening up and producing buds again! It makes no sense to me whatsoever but I am not going to complain.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,469 times
I think intense heat can be just as much of a "dead season" for some plants as winter. So, they "hybernate" then and come back once the weather is bearable again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden