Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:49 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

Because we had a very mild winter here in the Philadelphia area, the flowers in spring are beginning to bloom ... and it's still mid February!

Of course, this being zone 7a, I would expect perhaps a snow drop or the witch-hazel bush to throw a few flowers as harbingers of spring ... but get this: my neighbor's yellow daffodils started to open 3 or 4 days ago (mine haven't opened yet because they are in a rather shady spot in the backyard on the north side of the house.) Other flowers I've noticed in my neighborhood in bloom include not only snow drops, witch-hazels, camellias, flowering quince, daffodils and even hyacinths are almost ready to bloom.

Cool.

How about your neighborhood?

Anyone else experiencing precocious blooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
I believe it. I'm just south of you in the DC metro area, and we have some open daffodils (just a few but some) as well as creeping phlox, witch hazels, and some cherry blossoms. Hyacinths have been blooming for a about ten days but they seem smaller than usual. The local naturalist says the frogs are also breeding, and that she's never heard them making the breeding calls this early. We also have bluebirds arriving.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:53 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,566 times
I'm in north-central TX and usually the flowers start blooming in late Feb./early Mar...
we have had flowers blooming for 2 weeks now...the next door neighbors narcissus started blooming
last week and now I have a few daffodils that will be opened by tomorrow...there are buds on most of the trees here, as well. we had roses budding out in late december but then we had a hard freeze and they all fell off I think, because they disappeared without a trace...can't wait to get started planting in the garden...

Old 02-24-2012, 11:51 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
My snowdrops are already blooming too.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
I was just in Philly last weekend, and saw the daffs at my friend's apartment complex already had color to the flower beds. I'm so envious that you guys, while North of me, are a whole zone +. Stupid Ocean, with its stupid mitigating effects for the Eastern Seaboard!!

I'm in Cinci - a very mild weather, and lots of tree/shrub buds getting bigger and bigger (the mangolia buds are really starting to be noticeable) .. but no flowers yet. The bulbs are all up (they've been up forever), but haven't really seen the flower buds yet.

My guess is another 2-3 weeks. Although even that (early March) will be pretty darn early.

I'm not a snow lover, so I gotta admit this ridiculously easy winter has been FANTASTIC. That said, its going to be 34 tomorrow. But back to low 50's next week!

Old 03-01-2012, 12:43 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I was just in Philly last weekend, and saw the daffs at my friend's apartment complex already had color to the flower beds. I'm so envious that you guys, while North of me, are a whole zone +. Stupid Ocean, with its stupid mitigating effects for the Eastern Seaboard!!

I'm in Cinci - a very mild weather, and lots of tree/shrub buds getting bigger and bigger (the mangolia buds are really starting to be noticeable) .. but no flowers yet.

Philly and Cinci are almost on the exact same latitude: 39.57 degrees north for Philly and 39.8 degrees north for Cinci ... so you really can't say we are "north" of you.

Anyway, with the really mild winter we're having, my big fear is that Mother Nature will throw us a curve ball but causing us to have a freak snow storm in late March or early April. Hoping that won't happen. Earlier this week I planted large pansies in the containers on my porch steps.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I saw a forsythia bush blooming on my way to work this morning. Crocuses are in full bloom, and the daffodils are about to burst. My neighbor's daffodils are already blooming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Philly and Cinci are almost on the exact same latitude: 39.57 degrees north for Philly and 39.8 degrees north for Cinci
The only difference I notice in the weather in Philadelphia vs. Cincinnati is that Philadelphia has more precipitation, be that rain or snow, and is noticeably more windy. The springs are a little cooler here, but not by much.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
Flowers are coming up here in Allentown, PA as well.
In just a bit it will be time to plant my vegetable garden.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Philly and Cinci are almost on the exact same latitude: 39.57 degrees north for Philly and 39.8 degrees north for Cinci ... so you really can't say we are "north" of you.

Anyway, with the really mild winter we're having, my big fear is that Mother Nature will throw us a curve ball but causing us to have a freak snow storm in late March or early April. Hoping that won't happen. Earlier this week I planted large pansies in the containers on my porch steps.

Okay - I forget that Pennsylvania is as low as it is. However - you're numbers are wrong. Decimals are not the same as degrees/minutes/seconds.

The fact that Cinci is obviously lower than Philly when viewed on a map (Philly is almost dead even with Columbus) made me realize your numbers were off.

Columbus, Ohio: 39 degrees 59 minutes 0 seconds North.
Philadelphia, PA: 39 degrees, 57 minutes 12 seconds North.
Cincinnati, Ohio: 39 degrees, 8 minutes, 10 seconds North.

So yes - Cinci and Philly are closer than I'd thought - but still nearly 1 degree apart.

You still get the Ocean bonus. Cbus is not warmer than Cinci, but you are (according to the USDA zone maps).

But we have some flowers starting.. so Spring is beginning to creep in from the coasts.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Here in Brooklyn my neighbors daffodills and crocus are almost full grown. i think they are confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden