Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:05 PM

320 posts, read 2,529,602 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I bought a Troy Built gas mower from Lowes early this year. It's progressively gotten harder to start. This happens regardless of whether the tank is near empty or full. I've already changed the oil twice.

Basically what happens: I have to do the choke several times -- maybe 8 - 10 times -- before I can get it to start. I'll do the choke, pull the chord, doesn't start... redo. After it's running, it's fine and doesn't stall. Important note: If I then stop mowing for say five minutes, and return to restart it, the mower will start fine. But the longer I wait to restart it the mower -- let's say I wait a half hour before using it again -- the harder it becomes to restart again.

Does this sound like a fuel issue? Spark plug issue?

It'd be a pain to transport to Lowes, so trying to resolve this.

Last edited by motifone; 08-18-2011 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 04:54 PM

61 posts, read 387,857 times
Sounds like a clogged jet in the carburetor. Get some carb cleaner to get the gunk out. Have you been using/storing old gas? Without a stabilizer additive, gas can go "bad" in just a couple of months.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:24 PM

Hi WRX

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into the carb cleaner. Interesting comment about the gas -- we have a very small yard. Even moving almost every weekend, I am still using the original 2 gallons of gas I bought back in February with the mower. And did not add a stabilizer. Hmm. Wonder if that could be the issue -- I could swear the problem has gotten progressively worse over time, which might make sense to the quality of gas going downhill.

Would I need to get rid of the old gas & buy new gas and add stabilizer to it? I'll also get into the habit of buying less gas then.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:29 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Try some fresh gas, yes, you would be better off if you put some stabilizer in the gas you use for the mower.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:36 PM

Ok, guess I'll buy a siphon to get the old gas out -- figures I just filled it back up last weekend, but was with the old gas

What does one do with "old" gas anyhow? How to dispose of it cleanly? Could I use it in my car?

Old 08-18-2011, 05:44 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
You don't have to siphon the gas out of the mower, you could just dump the remaining gas in your jerry can into your car, assuming you drive the car pretty regularly, maybe get a turkey baster (that you will use in the garage but not in the kitchen obviously) to pull some of the gas out of the mower tank. But refill your jerry can with fresh gas, put some stabilizer in it, if you don't use much lawnmower gas you may want to only put one gallon in the jerry can.

Your symptoms may or may not be the old gas, but in a humid climate particularly E-10 gas which is all most people can get, will likely go "off" (oxidize) in the 6 months you have stored it.

It will help if you keep the mower and gas can somewhere that they don't get or stay real hot. A closed hot garage is the worst.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 PM

24,405 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Just put some Sta Bil fuel additive in the gas and that should take care of it. I also wouldn't worry about the oil other than to make sure it is at the recommeneded level.
Have you checked the air filter and made sure its clean or free of dirt? Take it off and clean it and spray the intake with carb cleaner as well.
I would also take out the spark plug and check it to see if its fouled and clean it.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Hi All

I bought a Troy Built gas mower from Lowes early this year. It's progressively gotten harder to start. This happens regardless of whether the tank is near empty or full. I've already changed the oil twice.

Basically what happens: I have to do the choke several times -- maybe 8 - 10 times -- before I can get it to start. I'll do the choke, pull the chord, doesn't start... redo. After it's running, it's fine and doesn't stall. Important note: If I then stop mowing for say five minutes, and return to restart it, the mower will start fine. But the longer I wait to restart it the mower -- let's say I wait a half hour before using it again -- the harder it becomes to restart again.

Does this sound like a fuel issue? Spark plug issue?

It'd be a pain to transport to Lowes, so trying to resolve this.

Quit using gas with 10 percent corn ethanol in it. That crap will gum up anything you use it in.

busta

Old 08-18-2011, 06:37 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,381,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Quit using gas with 10 percent corn ethanol in it. That crap will gum up anything you use it in.

busta
10-4 on the ethanol!! If you do not have access to gas without ethanol you can get some stuff to add to the gas to counteract the problem. Today I got some at Home Depot and a "shot" for one gallon cost about 60 cents.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I had problems with a mower years (I'm not sayin' how many!) ago and an old timer at a fixit shop told me only put the highest octane gas I could find in my equipment. I've done it ever since and have had very few problems. No Ethanol in that stuff, at least not around here, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden