Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times

Advertisements

Our neighbors have a couple chickens that are basically free-range in the neighborhood... they spend a lot of time in our front yard. Normally we don't use any fertilizer or weed killer, but the crab grass has taken over our yard. We are hoping to use a crabgrass killer and then overseed & fertilize.

Does anyone know how long the chickens would need to stay off the grass after using something like Ortho's Weed & Crabgrass Control? And, is lawn fertilizer (or the seed patch stuff with fertilizer in it) poison to them as well?

I called Scott's and they don't have any data regarding the crab grass killer and grazing animals. If anyone has any experience or advice, I'd appreciate it! Hoping to at least figure out how long I'd have to ask them to keep the chickens contained.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 12:53 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Perhaps you might be interested in reading this: http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/vinegar-weed-killer.html
They do say that using the 5% acetic acid vinegar you might need more than one application on your crabgrass. At least the vinegar would be safe to your neighbor’s chickens.

We have ducks and I worry about them when I spray our fruit trees and fertilize the trees with 10-10-10. So far my efforts have not helped control my ducks - they keep multiplying! I don’t know if the same could be said about chickens?

Old 09-26-2011, 03:00 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times
We actually use the vinegar solution for a lot of weed growth around our driveway/walkways. Unfortunately, this time we really either need to use something heavy duty to kill all the crabgrass in the lawn or dig up the whole yard and re-seed (we'd rather avoid the latter).

The crab grass has been bad since we moved in, and we just kind of ignored it... at this point the yard is about 50% weed. It's really bad, even by my extraordinarily low yard standards.

I think the neighbors can keep the chickens contained for awhile, but I've heard everything from "till the weed killer dries" to "several months".

Old 09-26-2011, 03:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Is there any reason to not just dig up the yard and re-seed completely? If you decide to reseed you'll want your neighbor to keep the chickens off until your new lawn has taken root completely, at least a few weeks.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:26 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
We actually use the vinegar solution for a lot of weed growth around our driveway/walkways. Unfortunately, this time we really either need to use something heavy duty to kill all the crabgrass in the lawn or dig up the whole yard and re-seed (we'd rather avoid the latter).

The crab grass has been bad since we moved in, and we just kind of ignored it... at this point the yard is about 50% weed. It's really bad, even by my extraordinarily low yard standards.

I think the neighbors can keep the chickens contained for awhile, but I've heard everything from "till the weed killer dries" to "several months".
I have to admit, I don't know about chickens but with dogs it is till it is dry. Even though thats the rule, I always wait until its dry and then after it rains or is watered (then dried) to be sure its safe. Is there any way you could use that orange construction fencing and do half the yard (fenced off) and then the other? That way you could be safe for the chickens and still get the job done in a reasonable time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden