Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:18 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times

Advertisements

yeah its not that these are unhealthy...theyre just very tall and twiggy...it looks like theyve been grown for height rather than being allowed to fil out some so ive got a feeling theyve been in the middle of some beds, overgrowded and left to just keep growing up
going to give them some time to get settled in and then when its time ill prune em back to about 1ft tall and hopefully next year will get a little more "bush" out of them lol.

i moved the climber too, WOW that thing had a huge taproot, i couldnt get it all so i hope itll be ok but that main root is about 2" across and rins away from my property under the nighbors lawn and i couldnt go hacking holes out of his lawn to get the whole thing. it had a good base root sstem too so im hoping with lots of rabbit poop, frequent waterings and some tlc itll survive. it was getting strangled to death by some virginia creeper and privet.

ive never grown the rose of sharon myself before but implanning on keepignthem well pruned, i dont want them overly tall, im aiming for 6ft max on the sharons and then 4ft on the knockouts. i do think there pretty, but if they start going crazy i can always pull them :P

Im planning on planting peony along there too which will take care of the "no scent" issue lol, (i love peony)

the nice part about where there planted right now is the rose of sharon is planted on the "shaded" side, so even at 10ft tall they wond shade out the roses as long as i keep them pruned back behind them

ive still got 4 rose of sharon seedlings and 1 rose of sharon "tree" (its been pruned to have 1 main leader and is about 5ft tall) to put in tomorrow, but i got everything else into their spots so i feel quite acomplished...Ill have to get before and after shots up, this poor house has been neglected for so long.

Even the naighbor across (behind the knock out rose/rose of sharon "hedge) said that its nice to see some color and flowers going in...she said she loves rose of sharon but couldnt get it to grow where she planted it (neer the house in prety much full shade) so shes more than happy to see it going in on the property line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,779,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
well i brought home 6 semi sorry looking red knockouts...
there not in "bad" shape but theyve been definatly left to get leggy so they look like sticks with a few scattered leaves, definatly not "shrubby" or full like ive seen in pictures.
so im going to do some research into pruning (when and how) to give them a fresh start next year, but for now there in the dirt look quite healthy, are all between 2-3ft tall, and should look lovely with some TLC...i also managed to talk myself into a bunch of rose of sharon starts a realy sorry looking azelea (its a good 3ft tall but its mostly sticks with 3 or 4 leaves on the very ends lol) and a sorry looking stick of a lilac...its 1 tall stick plenty of leaves on it and some tiny leaves neer the base of the plant so im hoping some pruning and love will get that filling out too.
not a bad deal for veryhting though, and i would have brought home another lilac had i had more room in my car LOL. no realy..the guy was laughing at me as i manouvered each plant to fit as many as possible in the car. had i had more money there was nother 2 knockouts and a hybrid tea i would have taken too he was asking $5 a peice for the roses, everything else as free...i ended up paying a little over $3 for each of the knockouts and got everything else free...the same size (and similar condition) were $18 at walmart and lowes has them right now for $24.99...

now to go finnihs planting LOL

Congratulations on your great bargains. I'm sure you were a sight getting all those plants loaded up! If the Knockouts get a full day of sun and are planted in good soil they will form a very solid shrub/bush 3 feet across and 4 feet high. In spite of fairly heavy pruning on my part I have one single Knockout reach nearly 6 feet and more than 4 feet across (I had to reach up to deadhead and couldn't even get my arms half way around the shrub!). The rest of them are planted together, with bases about 4 feet apart and they have grown into each other. At the end of the season they all top 5 feet and get pruned back down to 3 in the spring. Pruning strongly in very early spring will make them so dense you cannot see the inner branches. I also deadhead all summer to keep them neater and I think it encourages dense growth, too. Spring pruning is best when you see forsythia beginning to bloom as a reminder. If you watch the roses it should be just as the buds star opening enough for you to recognize little leaves starting to form. Later pruning doesn't hurt but is not as easy to do and earlier (winter) pruning will leave them open to disease.

As far as digging them in temporarily..... Knockouts are tough roses but even tough roses need a little care to do well. These sound like they have already been abused a lot in the nursery which means they are weaker and can become diseased. Keep them in light shade in their containers for now and keep them well watered. Even though it will be a temporary home it will pay to prep the soil you will plant them in first with some amendments (rabbit poop is perfect as one part of amending) just make sure the earth drains well and is it is not packed hard clay - or you'll also need to add other compost. The soil needs to be good to help them regain some strength and make it easier to dig them up at some point when you want to move them again. Get them in the temporary spot and keep them watered, but don't keep them water logged. Once they are in the ground prune back very long branches by half or shape each one into a slightly rounded look. Remove all flowers and flower bud while you are at it. This will reduce the drain on the shrub, instead of trying to bloom it can put its energy into getting it's roots growing.

Give the bushes about 3 weeks and you should see new growth all over. Spot deadhead every so often and keep well watered. They are not big on fertilizer needs so the rabbit poop should be more than enough. Epsom salt sprinkled around the roots (mixed into the soil) will help them develop good strong green leaves. Each bush needs no more than 1/2 cup of plain Epsom salts (buy from the local drug store or from the supermarket the stuff at garden centers is the same and costs more). The more sun they have the bigger and fuller they get and the more blooms they have so their eventual home should have 6 hours of more of sunlight for them to do well.

Good luck with all of your "saved" plants! Next week will be hot here in TN so be ready to water every day to keep them alive.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:05 PM

thank you im feeling a little more encouraged that these will do ok. im used to much more "wild" cultivars (ruggosa, and ramblers are both veyr popular in the UK along with th hybred Teas, but i havent any experience with these "knockouts" these particular ones are the single flower reds.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:57 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Spring pruning is best when you see forsythia beginning to bloom as a reminder. If you watch the roses it should be just as the buds star opening enough for you to recognize little leaves starting to form. Later pruning doesn't hurt but is not as easy to do and earlier (winter) pruning will leave them open to disease.
That's when I first prune, while the forsythias are blooming. I looked for a link that shows you where to make the cuts when pruning, there is a bit of a science to it, it's easier to look at pictures. I bet yours are leggy Foxy, either because they didn't get enough sun, or they just weren't pruned each year.

How To Prune Roses

My rose of sharons are super hardy and bloom well, even in part shade. They are thick and shrub-like. I do get a few seedlings, but it's easy to just pluck them out of the ground every year. I guess in a warmer climate they could be weedier, though. It's funny that someone mentioned rose of sharons being a magnet for japanese beetles, but it's my roses that get attacked by them, never my ROS's. I have to spray even my Knockout rose bush against japanese beetles. I guess regional climates etc. can really make a difference.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:23 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I planted 6 knockouts in full sun and they grew huge and are covered with blooms all year here in zone 8, except for Jan and Feb...@ easily 4 ft tall x 3ft wide the first year. I use Bayer granulated fertilizer with systemic fungicide/bug, on every holiday (St Pat's, Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day) and they are thriving.
To answer your question, I think you could carefully move them after a year. Here's the thing, though, you can almost always buy them for cheap at HD or Lowes, so there's no urgency to get them before you need them. I prefer to get them small, so they acclimate in my garden and that way they are cheaper also.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 AM

gentle..cheap at walart is $18 a peice, cheap at HD and Lowes is $25, now to some that might be a bargain...to me thats WAY out of budget, i got these 6 knockouts (true they need some love) for $3.33 a peice LOL. now THATS a bargain lol
I think there going to edn up staying where i decided to put them though, i figure as i getmore flower beds situated i can always take and root cuttings from these origionals to fill in other spots as needed, takes a little longer than buying them from the nursery, but hey, there free LOL.

I never buy nursery plants full price...
the lowes where used to live would have "clearance" sales on plants once in a while (generally peek summer when things were starting to look debraggled from missed waterings ect) where eveyrthing on the clearance was $1, i got SOOO many plants that way and most assuming they still have a little life on them came back just as strong and healthy.
im HOPING i can get some similar bargains like that this year, ive got alot of little areas i want to set up as planting spots but no money to realy go for it with...
Craigslist is my friend lol.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,592 times
I just dug up my knock-out rose bush prior to investigating (05/26/12- zone 5). Though I am excited to read how hardy they are; how important is it to cut them back when transplanted? I love them and don't want to loose it due to a stupid error.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,779,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianna74 View Post
I just dug up my knock-out rose bush prior to investigating (05/26/12- zone 5). Though I am excited to read how hardy they are; how important is it to cut them back when transplanted? I love them and don't want to loose it due to a stupid error.
The best time to transplant roses has passed but if you have already dug it up get it planted! The longer it is out of the ground the harder it will be on the plant. The usual advice for pruning is when you are transplanting it in spring before it comes out of dormancy.

Treat the rose bush as if it was a potted plant and prepare a good planting hole with amended soil. Trim any blooms and longer scraggly branches but don't do a severe prune. Getting rid of the blooms and a few over long branches helps the plant put some energy into root building and the neatening also helps make it easier to handle. Don't worry, it will start blooming soon enough. Make sure you keep it adequately watered, especially if your area is getting the heat building into the middle of the country right now (90s here). Just make sure not to drown it! Good luck!

Old 05-27-2012, 06:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
I have successfully grown knockout roses in large containers on my deck for years. It is hard to kill them, especially with mild winters here in N.C.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,029 times
Default Dumb Question

What are knock out roses? I have a few rose trees that have been in the sun but aren't doing well at all. I want to move them as they are in the garden. I'm thinking of moving them to a shadier area. The leaves are always yellow, even after spraying them, removing the old leaves. They rarely grow at all. They don't even give any flowers. I moved one rose from the ground and it died, when I tried to potted it so I won't do that again. Anyone have any ideas as to what would be the best way to tackle this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden