Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 940 times

Advertisements

I have two beautiful knock out rose bushes that I want to transplant. The only problem I have is I want to dig them up, hold them, then replant them after the small addition to the house is done. Can I hold the bushes in a burlap bag a in small pool of water? What are your recommendations?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I've had a few Rose of Sharon at both my houses. They can look beautiful, but unless you have a sterile cultivar, they'll make a TON of weed seedlings. I pulled somge out because of this. I hate river rock, but the two I have left here are in river rock, and I put some extra last year which kept it down pretty well. Or if it was out in the lawn where the seedlings would get mowed down, that would be OK.
Edited to add: You said you wanted some screening from the neighbor. A Rose of Sharon forest would probably do the trick!
I trimmed my Rose of Sharon to like trees and they are doing great. Have about 6 in a row. They are about 10 years old, a good 12' high and get beautiful flowers from late June through to early fall. I don't do anything to them but trim new leaves on the lower trunk. I have found a few new ones growing over time but just dig them out.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:17 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Someone brought up this old thread and when I read it, my thought was: gee, I wish I could find knockout roses for $5.

And what do you know? I walked into Walmart yesterday and they had their dead and dying, post bloom plants on sale. They looked like after the blooms were gone, they stopped caring for them. On the pallet of pathetic dried out roses, I found a knockout rose that didn't look too bad. It had a load of dried out, ugly flower heads and it looked really thirsty.

So. $5 for a red double knockout, one gallon. I hope it didn't get so dried out that it has permanent damage.

I will prune it back and trim the rootball, which has a high chance of being rootbound, and I'll cross my fingers. I'm not seeing any signs of disease, just lack of care and water.

I do notice, though, that the price of knockouts has plummeted since this thread was first posted. Knockouts used to be quite expensive. Now they seem to be priced like the lower end of patent roses.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:09 PM

Amazing what a good drink of water will do for a plant. My new rose perked right up.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 395 times
Question, I moved 3 of 4 knock out Rose's a week ago. I only moved them to s spot 3 ft away to give a more circular look at the corner of my mom's property. 1 of them I left in its place. It has bloomed beautifully but the other 3 look like the are wilting and turning brown. I've watered them well and they are in the same soil as before. Is this common when transplanting In the spring? I don't want to loose them.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyeverette View Post
Question, I moved 3 of 4 knock out Rose's a week ago. ........

You inevitably cut off a lot of roots when you moved them. If you haven't pruned back the tops, do that now. You no longer have the size of root system to support the size of the top.

Roses tolerate severe pruning with no issues and you can prune them back this time of year.

Plants that are awake when dug up and moved always look sad for a bit. Prune them back, keep them watered and they will come out of it and they will regain and catch up on size. Just provide good care and be patient.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
.......So. $5 for a red double knockout, one gallon. I hope it didn't get so dried out that it has permanent damage. .......

Update:

I bought a couple more end of season close-out knock out roses. Sad little things.

This spring, all of them have just started putting out some healthy looking leaf buds and the branches are supple and look good. So I ended up with some very cheap happy healthy roses.

Roses are tough. Knock outs are supposed to be even more tough.

I'm optimistic that they will thrive here becasue a neighbor down the road is a rose collector and his yard looks magnificent in the summer with all the different roses. He's obviously a rose expert, but I'm sure that if he can grow healthy roses in this area, I can too.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:30 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Update:

I bought a couple more end of season close-out knock out roses. Sad little things.

This spring, all of them have just started putting out some healthy looking leaf buds and the branches are supple and look good. So I ended up with some very cheap happy healthy roses.

Roses are tough. Knock outs are supposed to be even more tough.

I'm optimistic that they will thrive here becasue a neighbor down the road is a rose collector and his yard looks magnificent in the summer with all the different roses. He's obviously a rose expert, but I'm sure that if he can grow healthy roses in this area, I can too.

im also a rose collector and my bed looks fab right now and just remember roses are heavy feeders . get yourself a bunch of bananas and after eating them throw the peels into the rose bed soil . You will have such beautiful roses you will not believe it .

Old 05-06-2019, 02:04 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
well i brought home 6 semi sorry looking red knockouts...
there not in "bad" shape but theyve been definatly left to get leggy so they look like sticks with a few scattered leaves, definatly not "shrubby" or full like ive seen in pictures.
so im going to do some research into pruning (when and how) to give them a fresh start next year, but for now there in the dirt look quite healthy, are all between 2-3ft tall, and should look lovely with some TLC...i also managed to talk myself into a bunch of rose of sharon starts a realy sorry looking azelea (its a good 3ft tall but its mostly sticks with 3 or 4 leaves on the very ends lol) and a sorry looking stick of a lilac...its 1 tall stick plenty of leaves on it and some tiny leaves neer the base of the plant so im hoping some pruning and love will get that filling out too.
not a bad deal for veryhting though, and i would have brought home another lilac had i had more room in my car LOL. no realy..the guy was laughing at me as i manouvered each plant to fit as many as possible in the car. had i had more money there was nother 2 knockouts and a hybrid tea i would have taken too he was asking $5 a peice for the roses, everything else as free...i ended up paying a little over $3 for each of the knockouts and got everything else free...the same size (and similar condition) were $18 at walmart and lowes has them right now for $24.99...

now to go finnihs planting LOL

You could probably trim them now, if you wanted. Knock out roses keep growing and blooming right up to freeze time. They're REALLY hardy. lol

Old 05-07-2019, 05:59 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Default these are my rose beds

There are 16 roses in here but two are very small so you really cant see them but they are truly beautiful and color everywhere . I also have other flower beds as well and they are all coming to life .
Attached Thumbnails
Transplanting Roses? and knock out rose question-img_20190507_074454.jpg   Transplanting Roses? and knock out rose question-img_20190507_074505.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden