Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Your talking to me like I am white trash or something- I will have you know I have been a gardener all my life- Every season- I grow- I water- I prune- I beautify...I create a little heaven whether it be the family garden back in the day...Or on a roof top down town (not an easy task)---The environment in parts of Toronto is beautiful- couples stroll on nice up scale streets and admire every ones gardens...There is no such thing as NOT peaceful enjoyment of natural beauty.

The point I was making was in the fact that some guy walks by a tree or vine and takes a clipping- of course they should ask..but if I see someone doing that..I would not flip out like they were stealing my first born.

It is hypocritical that a person who loves the natural world and the beauty of natural growth- would hate and distrust human beings-

And yes you are _Paranoid...and YES - selfish- but you live in America - I don't guard my beauty - is share it- as if their eyes are going to steal it?
Now that was a tantrum. so sad to be so angry and and not be able to understand what we are trying to say. maybe you need a nap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 04:18 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
Me and her would be having a discussion with my XD-45 as moderator. You don't walk on to some ones property and their back yard without permission

Old 05-06-2012, 05:16 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
i plant my garden for ME first...if other people want to admire it FROM THE PUBLIC AREA (ie a sidewalk) thats fine...
if they want a closer look they come to the door and ASK, ill be happy to give you a tour or if im too busy id be happy to say "feel free just dont go into the rabbit area" or "be sure to close the gate"

if someone wants cuttings from some of my plants, they dang well better ask, its Called STEALING. if my plants are large and healthy enough to take some cuttings then I will take some and give them to you if im feeling so inclined (quite frankly plants are expensive and i dont GIVE things away for free unless i relay like you, trade, yes...) but dont dare come along taking cuttings form my plants or pulling flowers ect...

i dont think anyone here would have a problem with someone comming along the side walk aking pics, stopping to admire the flowers or smell something...
but cutting/pulling something or flat out walking around someone elses property without permission is not only rude but dangerous...

if YOU get injured on MY property thats MY fault (unless theres signs up stating no tresspassing) so why would i want random strangers trapesing all around my place?!
a simple slip on a mossy rock or trip over a hosepipe and its potentially a lawsuit and my house on the line. NO...yoy stay on the PUBLIC side of the property line unless you ask and are given permission first.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:31 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,102,658 times
What this made me think of was once when our house long ago, far away was for sale, a woman and her husband came to the house and wanted to take pictures for an "aunt" who was going to help them with the purchase. Strange thing was, she wanted to appear like a model in all the photos like she was showing the place. Never heard from them again and I got the idea that she was sending them to someone to say "this is mine". So, maybe, people do this and then post them if they have a backyard like mine and want to impress someone. A neighbor told me someone was taking pictures of her house a couple of weeks ago. So, you go out and take pictures of other people's things and put together as your "dream" album on the internet to impress your friends and relatives?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:42 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Now that was a tantrum. so sad to be so angry and and not be able to understand what we are trying to say. maybe you need a nap.
Now here in the Southwest let someone do that and they will get capped...yes indeed.

OK, is it me or are the people on CD having more tantrums and blow outs lately? Over the past 12 months it's getting to be a common phenomena. Is it the economy...immaturity...drugs...psych issues, what? I like coming to CD bc the people here give sound advice but lately I don't know what's up

Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Now here in the Southwest let someone do that and they will get capped...yes indeed. ...........

And if they did that with no evidence of imminent lethal force to be used against them then they would be acting against use of lethal force laws, including castle doctine or stand your ground laws.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:53 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
I take some of that back- I did not realize you were talking about people going on to your property. The other thing - people see a beautiful surrounding and they think you are rich- They look at plants like furniture and don't realize you grow them...that it takes care and effort and diligent duty to watering...To create your own little heaven takes work- One time one of my son's friends brought over this unsavory young woman.

She thought my roof top patio was grand..Tropical plants some 25 years old- Morning Glories growing up for twenty feet and bringing shade...house plants hear and there- and few very tall Sun Flowers..oh yes and a very large lemon tree that I had rescued...it was pot less and laying on a side walk...I made that baby a grand big plant...Two days after the visit from the creepy young and dumb girl. The lemon tree vanished and some African carvings disappeared from the kitchen...that opens onto the roof top.

It made me think...some people don't understand that one can live like a rich man without money- If you are intelligent and love nature- and do the work- You can live like a king---- this year I don't know if I will do the big garden on the roof...I am feeling a little hopeless this year...and want to leave this stupid city and people that will steal a lemon tree-

Old 05-06-2012, 06:58 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

And if they did that with no evidence of imminent lethal force to be used against them then they would be acting against use of lethal force laws, including castle doctine or stand your ground laws.
DEAR GOD....I knew it was a matter of time till the Zimmerman thing and protecting your home would leak into this thread- we were talking flowers here - not guns...But it does go to show you that Americans - not all- are crazy with this bearing arms thing...I just hope that someone does not get shot dead while taking a clipping from a plant--or maybe have their eyes pepper sprayed for looking at a beautiful garden - that the low life was to lazy to grow and wanted to dig up and steal and plant in the ghetto...never to be watered and die....lol

Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
I would probably freak out a little, then I'd call the cops and report the person. It sounds suspicious.

I would assume she was "casing the joint" in order to break in later. LOL Buuut, there's a small chance she was overcome by the beauty of the OP's garden, and didn't realize how invasive she was being.

I agree that taking cuttings/samples of plants without permission is stealing. I've been tempted by a big stand of christmas fern, and another of those native yellow lilies OMG but seriously, if I found someone doing that on my property, I'd be pissed. It is tempting, but if you want a plant, go buy it from a nursery.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
DEAR GOD....I knew it was a matter of time till the Zimmerman thing and protecting your home would leak into this thread- we were talking flowers here - not guns...But it does go to show you that Americans - not all- are crazy with this bearing arms thing...I just hope that someone does not get shot dead while taking a clipping from a plant--or maybe have their eyes pepper sprayed for looking at a beautiful garden - that the low life was to lazy to grow and wanted to dig up and steal and plant in the ghetto...never to be watered and die....lol
I ws responding to yet another poster who made an outrageous claim in this gardening thread. Please direct your remarks there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden