Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You probably know that if you allow people to regularly walk through your property for several years it can become a 'right of way' meaning even though it is your property the public has the right to access it.

This even applies if the property is sold. If the prior owner allowed this the freedom to cut across the property stays with the property, regardless of who owns it.

At least, this is what was taught to me in school.

So, people should be very careful in this matter, even if they think they are being good hearted, it could lower the value of your property when you try to sell it.
My house and the one next to it had been vacent for some time. Once the dogs arrived that put a stop to the foot traffic. The house next door got knocked down so its empty space. But my neighbor knows everyone around here and wouldn't think much of it either.

Now that I know the stump in the middle is not on my side, I'll eventually fence in that side for a garden. Don't think there would be much left if my dog could much it so he's going to have a six foot fence between him and the plants. And I figure if people cut across the vacent lot and mind being parked at, they shouldn't be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 03:32 PM

15 posts, read 32,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
A few years ago I even noticed a man walking around taking cuttings and dropping them in a bag. He was going around at a fast pace and I could not get to him. Isn't that stealing?
Here in SC it is:

"SOUTH CAROLINA: Any person entering upon the lands of another for the purpose of hunting, fishing, trapping, netting; for gathering fruit, wild flowers, cultivated flowers, shrubbery, straw, turf, vegetables or herbs; or for cutting timber on such land, without the consent of the owner or manager, is guilty of a misdemeanor."

State Laws - Trespass - Real Estate

I love plain language!!

If you allow people to just come on your property, your property WILL become known to criminals as an easy mark. As others have noted, having a nice garden may tempt those who will assume you have money or other items you care for and which others might find valuable.

For those who say "what harm?" I must point this out - that you provide a temptation when you don't have a reputation for enforcing, one way or another, your property rights. Make no mistake, there are plenty of people out there - many of whom are these trolls who harass people who talk sense with liberalizing ideas.

A populace which doesn't insist upon respect in a civil society will be easier to corrupt in other ways. We teach each other each day how to live by everything we say and do, and this is becoming more and more important for us to do.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
"Our property is monitored by cameras. Trespassers will have their photos shown to the authorities and charges will be filed."

That's a good sign to post. You can buy fake cameras pretty cheap.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:40 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
I'm paranoid about this stuff. I would think someone was taking pictures to make a plot somehow and break in my house. I doubt I would have said anything, but would have gone to the local hardware store and got vicious dog signs and no trespassing signs. We don't have a vicious dog...they don't know that though.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I'm paranoid about this stuff. I would think someone was taking pictures to make a plot somehow and break in my house. I doubt I would have said anything, but would have gone to the local hardware store and got vicious dog signs and no trespassing signs. We don't have a vicious dog...they don't know that though.
I heard somewhere that people buy those signs that their house is protected by some security firm and stick them up although they have no such protection. I also read that crooks look for those signs thinking that there is probably something good to steal in such houses.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
maybe this would work:

Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
^^ Awesome. I'm stealing that.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
maybe this would work:
That was SO funny. Thank you.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Can't look at beautiful pants and flowers...can't take pictures of them..dare not admire great looking kids for fear of being called a perv...can't say hello to strangers...Why did't you approach the woman and give her a tour- as for the guy who wants cuttings from gardens in the neighborhood...Bad people do not grow plants- Good people love plants...What's wrong with folks these days-they don't think..."He was walking at a rapid pace"- maybe he knew that your hood was full of selfish and paranoid people?
An old post but, for gosh sakes ! It is her property and her space ! All the people had to do was come to the door and ask and if she said no, that is her right. This post is silly and utterly without merit.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:19 PM

606 posts, read 730,626 times
Happened to me once, I met him on my back porch and had him call 911 to report himself for trespassing on private property. I held him until the police arrived and pressed charges. I guess he was intimidated by my bacon eating size. I'm about 6'-2" and weigh 225. Or maybe it was my Marine Drill Instructor voice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden