Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 03:43 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times

Advertisements

When the leaves start turning and the hot sun dries them up, I mow them all down with the tractor. Next year they'll be back stronger than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 04:45 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,571,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My spouse is addicted to daylilies...unfortunately (fortunately) there is a daylilies "farm" closeby....
I know what you mean!! There was one near us when we lived in Ohio. We went and of course bought about 10 of them. Just to keep them alive, I planted them in what was to be a temporary spot I already had dug up, but they were thriving there and looked great, so I just let them alone. When we moved, my husband made me dig them up because they were "special". I knew they wouldn't fit in the cars, and the moving company won't take anything that's alive. Sooooooo, after I dug them up and had them ready to go - we ended up leaving them at the old house. I called our handyman and told him he was welcome to them if he wanted them since he had recently moved into a new house. He was ticked pink!!! I do love them though and am planning a devoted daylilly garden here at our new place. I just never get tired of them.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,779,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Just a follow up on what worked and what did not. Even though my sale daylillies were a bit ragged, they were still sporting buds and I could not bring myself to give them sever haircuts when I planted them. I opted for giving them a manicure except for one plant that the deer nibbled right down to almost nothing. That plant is doing the best...the foliage all came back, although a bit stunted, and it is blooming. The ones that I babied are not doing as well. They are limping along,still spindly and the buds were severely stunted. I know all will survive, but I learned that I really should have sheared them all and let them come back as best they could. Lesson learned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
IT TAKES ALOT TO KILL A DAYLILLY.

If you can't get them planted right away, I think you should just cut back everything now and cover them in good mulch and keep it moist. not soaked for any period of time but try not to let the hot sun bake them. When you do get around to planting them, even if it is fall, soak them overnight in a bucket and then plant them in good soil fortified with some manure, bone meal, natures helper- any good amendment.

It is bulbs you don't want to cut foliage on because nutrients go back into the bulb but this is not so true for daylilies. I have deer here who eat the foliage down to the ground every year as soon as I stop spraying deer repellent yet each successive year I get nice blooms-as long as I keep them sprayed.

Daylilies are the "special case" plant that you can break the rules with when it comes to planting. I swear they seem to actually thrive on abuse, well, make that neglect. Cutting back the foliage is sometimes helpful when the conditions are so hot that the leaves would only loose moisture and not provide enough energy towards setting new roots. Those rhizomes store enough "food" to regrow the plant easily as soon as they are in good soil and moisture conditions. Leaving any buds on it is not a good idea as that drains energy that should be put into making roots. From the plants perspective it "exists" to make more of its own kind through flower production and it will put its last gasps of life into trying to make seeds. The one pruned for you by the deer was healthier because there were no buds draining away the energy and instead the plant worked on survival by making better roots. NoKudzu's advice was spot on if you can't plant them right away.

I just planted a handful I couldn't resist buying at a daylily event in the midst of a heat wave where every day was 100 degrees or more. I watered intermittently and we finally got a soaking rain and low and behold there are beautiful green plants thriving! I'm sure I was lucky in the timing of the rain and I wouldn't recommend planting anything in that kind of heat normally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My spouse is addicted to daylilies...unfortunately (fortunately) there is a daylilies "farm" closeby....
Yep, that can be a "problem" depending on your point of view. I discovered a large well known Daylily farm is not all that far from here and pretty much would have loved to bring home at least 2 dozen varieties from the ones we saw. It was 103 as we left and too hot to carry too much which probably saved me. It doesn't help that I know someone who is becoming a breeder with a garden containing hundreds of different and exotic daylilies. Once you see a garden like hers you can't help but want to plan additional garden spaces filled with them. I wish your spouse much happiness with her daylilies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden