Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 13,843 times

Advertisements

I would like to grow a butteryfly garden. Any suggestions on what to plant - live in CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
milk weed, queen anne's lace,butterfly bushes, butterfly weed. There are dozens of books about butterfly gardens, threads on CD about how to attract butterflies and keep them coming back. most important is to realize that butterflies start off as caterpillars which eat the leaves of plants so you need to learn to i.d. caterpillars and NOT use pesticides in your environment. put out oranges and applies and any fruit to attract butterflies.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedee&fudge View Post
I would like to grow a butteryfly garden. Any suggestions on what to plant - live in CT.
Plants that attract butterflies in CT:
http://www.scottsorchardandnursery.c...lants_List.pdf

If you just 'google' plants that attract butterflies in CT you'll discover 100's of sites on the subject.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,814,635 times
They sure like my citrus trees.

and these Esperanzas ...

Probably not much help to you in CT..

Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 PM

68 posts, read 108,973 times
We have two butterfly bushes in full sun on the back side of our house. The bushes are almost taller than the house and attract loads of butterflies, Hummingbirds, and bees. The butterflies and Hummingbirds are fun to watch, the bees are more practical since they pollinate our veggie garden, and fruit trees.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:07 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRhodes View Post
We have two butterfly bushes in full sun on the back side of our house. The bushes are almost taller than the house and attract loads of butterflies, Hummingbirds, and bees. The butterflies and Hummingbirds are fun to watch, the bees are more practical since they pollinate our veggie garden, and fruit trees.
I need to get myself a butterfly bush (or two, or three). My next door neighbor has one and the butterflies LOVE it!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:03 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
Ooooh Darling. You are in my zone!
1. Butterfly plants/weeds - Asclepias. I have the pink tuberosa beside a small pond. It smells like vanilla and is a host for the monarch butterfly (actually they're all hosts for the monarch). I also have the orange and yellow ones in my drier borders.

2. Monarda - The red monarda didyma is loved by hummingbirds and butterflies. Select mildew-resistant cultivars.

3. Joe Pye Weed - The flowers don't look particularly special to me, but butterflies Swarm all over these. I have "little joe" and a regular spotted (I believe) Joe pye weed. The little Joe's are in a border and the spotted joe pye weed are beside the pond. JP is about 11 ft tall and "Little" joe is about 4 ft tall in my garden.

I'd recommend giving the monarda space, as it spreads. Buddleia (butterfly bush) do attract butterflies, but I'd check to see if they're invasive in CT. I try to spread the word about invasive plants, so hopefully you won't find this offensive.

The "also-rans":
1. Oriental Lilies - These bloom at around the same time as the monarda. Butterflies visited these and appeared happy.
2. Wild Perennial Lupine - These appear pretty easy to start from seed in poor, well-draining soil. They're a host for an endangered blue butterfly.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,411 times
I have had great luck attracting butterflies with mauve Eupatorium. It will attract many types of pollinating insects. Also, annual Lantana attracts butterflies.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,411 times
Also, the native milkweeds, esp. the orange variety, attract butterflies. The caterpillars will eat the leaves, but so what, that is part of the cycle.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:32 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,757,464 times
Passion vine and butterfly bushes attract alot of butterflies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden