Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times

Advertisements

This popped up in my garden last summer. I have a large hosta garden with all kinds of interesting things. I didn't plant any of these they were here when we bought the house so it's a learning experience. These have grown in several different spots in the yard and are about 3 feet long. They seem to grow one shoot at a time. They have white drop looking buds that turn dark round in the fall.

[IMG]
whatisthis by , on Flickr[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Looks to be a Hosta variety.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
The leaves look like hosta but the rest of the plant is all wrong for hosta.

The plant habit and flowers look look Soloman's seal.

This plant is a variegated Solomon's seal. Beautiful stuff.

--I love this plant--

https://www.google.com/search?q=solo...w=1024&bih=631

Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 AM

P.S. Kayekaye-

We've seen a number of your pics before asking ¿what is this? in the very pretty garden on your newly purchased property....

And every single photo you have posted is some kind of beautiful northern temperate zone perennial--which cost some previous loving gardener some real time and effort and money.

~~~from now on when you are mystified by some unknown beautiful creature which pops up in this garden and looks gorgeous, just believe that it is a special and lovely species even if it cannot be readily identified, it is definitely something that you want to keep~~~

Whoever lived there before you did and planted all these beautiful things surely knew their stuff. You are a very lucky homeowner indeed to have inherited such a fine garden. Love it and leave it be.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Azoria pegged it beautifully, it is a Variegated Fragrant Solomon's Seal (latin name: Polygonatum odoratum 'Variegatum' and not the common variety used for medicinal purposes. It's the prettiest variety with the showiest blooms so the gardener you inherited the garden from really had an eye for special plants. It is part of the lily family and sometimes its faint scent is very similar to other lilies. The previous gardener did the hard part getting it to start. Once established it is relatively easy to care for and slowly spreads and increases. It's biggest problem tends to be slugs which will also damage the hosta and other shade plants.

General helpful info here: Perennial Results: Plant View - Polygonatum odoratum 'Variegatum'

I have to say I am jealous of how much you already have growing in your garden. Every move I have made has wound up with a house with no garden so I have to do the back breaking work to make one for years before it looks anything like yours!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM

Thanks all! Oh no, I haven't got rid of anything in this garden. My husband had a couple episodes of not knowing which was a weed and took out some nice plants and once over-pruned the rose arbor. He has been duly educated now, thanks to this forum.

Yes the previous owner and the next door neighbor had a landscape business. It's what very definitely attracted me to this house, as the house itself is nothing much. This plant has been expanding and is on both sides of the house. I've never seen it bloom, just those white buds then later in the season they turn to dark round seeds about 1/8 to 1/4" big. Maybe it's brief blooming and I missed it. I will watch for it next summer.

I don't know much of anything about gardening but it has been fairly easy upkeep. One thing she told us was to not divide them and keep them as dense as possible to keept the weeds down. We weed a couple times a summer and don't have much work. Slugs haven't been a problem yet, nor deer as we are on a hill that they don't traverse for some reason. The one thing we do have problems with is MOLES. The yard is just spongy.

One plant the previous owner was showing me was variegated on the outside of the leaf and the other one next to it was variegated on the inside. One was fairly common and not worth much but the other was $700 per plant! I was stunned, as it didn't even look that much different to me. My comment was "just like that Star Trek episode" Let That Be Your Last Battlefield where Frank Gorshin played a guy with black skin on the right side of his body and white on the left, and the "bad" guy had the opposite. LOL "Star Trek" Let That Be Your Last Battlefield (TV episode 1969) - IMDb

I'm attempting to catalog the garden, long slow process as it is very full with thousands of hostas and other plants.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 PM

How about this one? This is a slightly altered photo of a plant growing in my side yard. Anyone know what this is?

Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 AM

^^^^
I want to say this plant is a Fritillaria but I haven't been able to find a photo that's an exact match of your flower.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Azoria I sure can see the Frittalaria reference, but don't think that is it. It also looks similar to the tropical vanilla plant flower but, given its location, I'm pretty sure it is another woodlands plant and in the Bellwort family. Here are a few links to see if you can tell the closest match to the original Kayekaye. Since the picture was altered a bit, and doesn't show much of the plant, I have no size reference to narrow it down more.

Bellwort | Uvularia grandiflora | Flowers for Shade Gardens

Uvularia grandiflora (Bellwort) : Prairie Nursery, Native Plants, Seeds, No Mow Lawn, Landscape Design & Consulting

Large-Flowered Bellwort (Uvularia grandiflora)

Bellwort (<i>(Uvularia perfoliata)</i>)

Uvularia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2012, 10:50 AM

Thank you J&Em! These look very similar to the last link, Uvularia grandiflora. I think that is it. Some of the photos I found from that name were kind of unhealthy looking compared to mine because mine look a little bigger and the leaves are more robust:

They grow in a bunch by a tree, about 18" high. The flowers about an inch big. The leaves grow staggered on a stem with the flower drooping downward from the very top. I will try to find a better photo.

Azoria, the Fritillaria are really interesting and pretty, so many patterns, wish I did have some of those but zone 3 is what grows here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden