Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times

Advertisements

Is one brand of pre-emergent better than another? Also, do most of you buy concentrate and spray it in a bug sprayer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,786,156 times
I'm not a fan of their use in the garden, but understand they are needed in some cases. Timing and type depend on your location, as well as if they are for lawn or garden application. In addition, what works for me in the much more warm and moist area of the Smoky Mountains, or someone living on the coast will not be the same for you in a drier climate like Nevada. Our weeds will be different and so will the timing. I did a little look up to see if there were some local references for you to start with and found some. The first is pretty in depth for each weed you may need to deal with but does list the best treatments that have been researched:

http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications...her/eb9801.pdf

There may also be local regulations and restrictions on certain types of pre-emergents allowed for use on the home lawn and garden area. Here's a starting point for getting good local help:

UNCE Natural Resources Programs

Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
What areas are you going to use it on- vegtable garden? ornamental plants? lawn? rock gardens?

Need more info from you.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
*Sobs* Why do people post questions about using chemicals in the gardening forum. OP, I don't have a favorite pre-emergent because I do not use herbicides. I also don't recommend the use of herbicides to anyone for any reason.

Especially not on an on-going basis, which is what I believe those pre-emergent herbicides are used for. You use them every year, if I am not mistaken. Quite a few weed seeds are airborne, and they'll come back no matter what you use.

I would suggest a different non-chemical method of getting rid of the weeds...either that or trying to identify the weeds and gaining an appreciation for them. I wouldn't recommend using herbicides.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What areas are you going to use it on- vegtable garden? ornamental plants? lawn? rock gardens?

Need more info from you.
Pretty much my rock gardens. I do have a section across the back fence section that has perennials, and some bulbs. You'd be amazed at how many weeds can come up in the high desert. I had no idea it would be different for different areas. Our garden is done in pots so we can bring them in at night. Otherwise, we have to wait until June 15th to start anything.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Pretty much my rock gardens. I do have a section across the back fence section that has perennials, and some bulbs. You'd be amazed at how many weeds can come up in the high desert. I had no idea it would be different for different areas. Our garden is done in pots so we can bring them in at night. Otherwise, we have to wait until June 15th to start anything.
Very familiar with your area as I have spent the last 30 years enjoying the outdoors on the Eastside of the Sierras. Also did a few landscape jobs Reno/Sparks area back in 2006/2007.

Granular spread with a hand spreader sounds like it would work out best because of all the rock.

If you can get it Surflan or Ronstar is the best on the market commercially but fairly expensive.

See if you can get some at Ewing Irrigation in Reno. They might also recommend another non commercial product for your area.

If you dont want to go that route Granular Preen or a similar product from Home Depot/Lowes will work ok.

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER for preemergent to work correctly and not get pollute run off.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 AM

Everybody always told me pre emergent was cheap compared to Roundup. Yesterday I went to Home Depot and they wanted $15 for enough Preen to do 1100 sq ft. I'm thinking I need like $45 worth, so I left feeling like I needed more research. Went to Costco next, and bought enough Preen for 3000 sq ft for $22.
I just bought the home a year or so ago, and like the idea of neutralizing the seed. It's amazing how many weeds you get here during the growing season. Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
I never used herbicides before moving to a rural area and having three acres to tend to. I am no longer judgemental about the use of them. It depends on how responsibly you use them, and I use them responsibly. I freely admit to using Treflan preemergent granules in selected areas of our landscape, though I think this year with a puppy, I'll give that a miss. Having done a term paper on the effect of these products on soil organisms in college, I can say with certainty that they DO NOT make for dead soil. That's just hogwash. Garden chemicals that are used today may alter the biodiversity of the soil somewhat, but they don't damage it. In fact, I was hoping to prove just the opposite when I did the paper, and a number of professors and entymologists set me straight.

And horrors, horrors, horrors -- I also spot spray broadleaf weeds with glyphosate (Roundup)! If any of you saw the square footage I would be weeding on a weekly basis, you would too. And even if I had the energy to pull all the weeds, some with deep taproots must be sprayed. I'm not getting any younger and I have enough to do without pulling weeds all day long in the crummy Kansas weather.

I am a Master Gardener for my county in Kansas. I have two hort certificates. I'm well aware of the hazards of some chemicals, the time it takes chemicals to break down, and their proper usage.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:50 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,608,496 times
I have tried the Walmart generic Roundup and it is very slow to work.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 AM

67 posts, read 242,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
I have tried the Walmart generic Roundup and it is very slow to work.
Expect to see reactions in 3-4 days when it's 80 degrees and well watered... When it gets cool and the plants re growing slowly or are stressed, it may take 7-10 days to see symptoms. This is true for the Walmart stuff as well as the glyphosate we use in farm fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden