Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

J&Em, Can you recommend any pretty (which I know is in the eye of the beholder) flowering house plants that can stand up to my "gardening style?"

Decades ago I had a peace lily and even IT died. I was so disappointed. I bought specifically it's nickname was 'the closet plant" read that in could grow in very low light.

I fertilize about 2-3 times a year, and I usually do water fairly regularly every two weeks like clockwork (give or take a day or two). I put myself on a schedule of the '1st' and the '15th,' the '1st' and the '15th" like a pay check! The 1 or 2 plants I have in clay pots get pretty dry, but the ones in ceramic pots do fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
African violets?

Old 04-02-2013, 01:59 AM

From what I just read, they seem to finicky. Can't have it too cold or hot. Can't get water on the leaves. Don't do well with tap water. It's not looking good for them.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Selhars, there are very few plants I can think of that flower and thrive on neglect. While azoria is right to some extent in that African Violets seem to be on many of the 'hard to kill' indoor plant lists. I don't think they match your needs and are tricky because of disease, lighting and water on the leaves issues.

The problem is that most good and avid gardeners tend to be nurturers. They'll take hopeless brown sticks and talk them back from the brink and lavish careful care until they have a lush specimen again. Of course, on occasion they can be ruthless, too, and toss some misbehaving wayward plant like a weed. This need to nurture runs counter to the care you want to give plants.

Many plants can be tough, eventually, but many need a lot of tender loving care to get there. I can think of only a few that will make the transition from nursery to your home that fit the bill. I may have a few more as I mull over past experiences. It took a while to find links for all of these but here goes:

Crown of Thorns:
Succulents
Crown of Thorns Plant - Euphorbia milii - Picture, Care Tips

Christmas/Thanksgiving/Easter Cactus (there are different bloom times and the branches look different): Thanksgiving Cactus, Christmas Cactus, Easter Cactus: What's the Difference? (University of Illinois Extension)

Hoya carnosa aka "Wax Plant" - It has tiny flowers Wax Plant - Hoya carnosa - Picture, Care Tips
Hoya carnosa
Hoya - Plant Palette - University of Illinois Extension serving Dewitt, Macon and Piatt Counties

Not flowering but interesting looking and some are very colorful:

Haworthia: these are great in low light conditions and form leaf rosettes that look somewhat like flowers the Haworthia: Haworthia - the jewels of the succulent world

Echeveria: Glenhirst Cactus Nursery UK - Echeverias For Everyone

In the same vein there are quite a few sedums that would work if you have a fairly sunny window for them: Sedum - sedum plants

The following is rare but the one I have has been doing fine on neglect in the garden. Lewisia cotyledon It isn't known for being a houseplant but it can be if it gets enough sun: Lewisia ‘Little Plum’ (Lewisia cotyledon)-Logee's Greenhouses There are other Lewisia that may also be good Bitter Root Lewisia Plants, How to Grow and care for a Lewisia cotyledon - Garden Helper, Gardening Questions and Answers but I have only had the one above. They all need quite a bit of sun time though and may be better as outdoor plants for you.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM

Thanks so much! I'll check all these out when I get a chance.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
BTW Selhars, I have peace lilies, and they do enjoy really low light levels, but need water every 3 or 4 days. They're one of the few houseplants that require a lot of water. When I first got mine, they wilted a couple of times before I read up on them and found out the deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden