Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:48 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times

Advertisements

We all made them when we first started gardening... What was your most memorable ones?

I'll start. When I first moved into this area (never planted anything before), I did not know about raised beds and was not in the mood to dig those heavy red clay soil, so I'd fogure I would plant tomatoes in containers. I went to the big box store and bought myself a pack of tomato seeds and a seedling starter kit, proceeded to follow instructions.

A couple of weeks layers, my seedling are going well and as I shared my excitement with a more knowledgeable coworker, she asked me where would I be planting them? I told her I was planning to plant them in containers since I did not want to dig. She nodded and said that would work but make sure I give them a big enough size container as they will grow big... so plan on a 5 to 10 gallon container for EACH seedling.... There was an awkward moment of silence, then I quietly said: "but I have 72 seedlings"...

After she's done laughing so hard that her belly hurts, she asked who told uou to plant ALL the seeds? Well... The packet did not say ONLY plant a FEW seeds!!!

What is your story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 05:15 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Beginning Landscape mistakes.

Installing a backflow preventer........ Backwards.

Yup first one I constructed.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 PM

83 posts, read 291,466 times
I burned the roots and killed my very first tomato plants. I figured that if manure was good on the surface of the soil, it would be even better right down next to the roots. Poor 'maters, they never stood a chance.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:29 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
How much time do you have?

Old 05-24-2013, 07:38 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,349,209 times
When I had containers full of pretty annuals on my condo patio and saw they were getting eaten by insects, I sprayed them.

With Off!

It only took a half hour to kill everything.

(This was 27 years ago, btw...)

Old 05-24-2013, 08:46 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
How much time do you have?
I'll be here all week!!

Come on. Fess up!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,032,386 times
I'll let you know in October!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,221 times
I remember, being new to the Phoenix, AZ climate, and being totally unable to grow ANYTHING. . . . I took the Maricopa County Master Gardeners class. . . . .you should see my garden now!~

Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,336 times
I got out my Martha Stewart magazine, and I carefully put up a few posts, strung and knotted twine between them. I was going to have a beautiful morning glory screen! I followed the directions for planting seeds and anxiously waited for them to come up, and up them came! So many of them, that I transplanted some to the picket fence. But they didn't seem like the ones on the seed package...

I was very carefully cultivating bindweed!

One of many, many times I cared for healthy, luscious weeds, waiting for them to bloom.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:45 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I got out my Martha Stewart magazine, and I carefully put up a few posts, strung and knotted twine between them. I was going to have a beautiful morning glory screen! I followed the directions for planting seeds and anxiously waited for them to come up, and up them came! So many of them, that I transplanted some to the picket fence. But they didn't seem like the ones on the seed package...

I was very carefully cultivating bindweed!

One of many, many times I cared for healthy, luscious weeds, waiting for them to bloom.
Here in AZ, Morning Glory's were long prohibited, because they are a close relative to "field bindwind", a noxious pest to cotton crops. Do yourself a favor and get your seeds from a reputable seed company. Now that the ban has been lifted, I have Morning Glorys on every fence and post. . . .they are glorious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden