Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 6,035 times

Advertisements

Would anyone have any experience or ideas on what might be done to help this lawn? It is terribly dry and sandy and many spots. I am not a landscaper so just looking for ideas and input.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 03:44 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Im not a landscaper either but usually grass comes back.. Have you tried a sprinkler on it daily?
Otherwise you can always:
Aerate.
Get 15 yrds of screened Topsoil
Re-seed
Enjoy new lawn

Your location isnt on the info so not sure if rain is in the forecast for you. Good luck

Old 06-10-2013, 04:14 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjspelman View Post
Would anyone have any experience or ideas on what might be done to help this lawn?
Start over completely.

After you're done the tilling and fertilizing and grading and rolling...
bring in a sprinkler crew to at least run the pipes before the hydroseed crew shows up.

If no/low rainfall is the norm around there... then hook up the sprinkler heads/valves too.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Where are you located?

Old 06-10-2013, 05:24 PM

Thanks for al the replies!

We are in S Tampa.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,963 times
JJspelman,
Your lawn looks like mine did when I moved in.
I have sand too, and this is what I found out.
Plant a grass that likes sand and heat.
Centipede grass is the best, a specialty grass that grows
in acid sand with poor nutrition.
Buy some regular yard sprinklers, buy some centipede grass seed
(the kind with the mulch on it) and spread the seed, and water.
Because your soil is very sandy, you will always have to water frequently.
Water at least twice a day til it grows in, be very generous with the seed too.
After it grows in, only water early in the morning, when the grass looks dry.
Don't mow it til it's about 1 1/2 inches high, then keep it at that length.
Now is the best time to seed a warm season grass too.
Put in a cement block path to the front door so you don't have to constantly
walk on the grass to get in the house too.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times
Lawns are a waste of water and land. Plant flower and vegetable gardens - you have a huge lot, you could make an awesome garden. Look at some gardening magazines for ideas.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 PM

Thanks Butterfly4U. Some great stuff there to consider. Not sure i can water that often though with the restrictions currently in place.

@imcurious - some good thoughts there as well, as far as adding a garden, but I don't think lawns are a waste. I'm sure there must be a happy medium there somewhere.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
I like Butterfly's suggestions too.
I'm no expert on lawns but back when I lived in Colorado I bought a house that had a terrible-looking yard both back and front. Plus water is short out there and it's not responsible to water too frequently.
For the back yard, I bought a locally-blended grass seed mix that was formulated for playing fields, parks and so on. It was quite expensive but worth it because it was tough as nails and needed very little water. My main reason for going with the "tough" grass for the back yard was because I had two large dogs and wanted grass that would withstand dog use.
On the suggestion of the same nursery I bought the grass seed from, I overseeded my front lawn with clover. Again, that worked beautifully. My current front yard naturally has a ton of clover and is greener that my neighbor's lawn. I never fertilize or use weed killer and as long as it's mowed to be kept fairly short, it looks great.

CloverLawn.org | Promoting clover as a lawn alternative

Old 06-11-2013, 05:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Usually your local garden center will be more than happy to give you all the info you need to improve your yard, bring that picture along with you.
Trouble with Florida its really hot and the earth is very sandy and nutrient poor, if you want great looking lawn its going to come at a price.Although a layer of topsoil and a reseeding and some fertilizer will certainly make your current lawn look a lot better .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden