Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 05:42 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
That doesn't prove a thing. We can argue some more because people might come to this forum and believe you when you say certain types of mulch can kill your plants. There is no research to back that up. Everything you post above just leads to many questions about other growing conditions and factors.
Control of Nuisance and Detrimental Molds (Fungi) in Mulches and Composts, HYG-3304-98

<b>Is Your Mulch Magnificent? Or Miserable?</b> - Gardens Alive!

Gardening Resources, Cornell University
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 05:57 PM

472 posts, read 570,391 times
Paperboard makes a decent mulch.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,349,209 times
Interesting article from Cornell, but that is more the exception than the rule, and it can apply to any type of mulch. It has to do with the way mulches are stored and the problem isn't inherent in hardwood mulch. Moreover, the Cornell article stresses that exposure to air dissipates the mulch toxins very quickly. I don't see a problem.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
anything can be inherently good but misapplied or processed incorrectly or directions ignored. These articles state that.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,779,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some types of mulch will inhibit plant growth (I had that issue with glads and much, glads came up stunted and spotted, took me a couple years to connect the dots). Mulch does give a finished look to a bed and conserves moisture.

Mulches in and of themselves do not inhibit growth or cause the kind of damage you describe, that is if it is healthy mulch, not sour or from an infected source. Most of the commercially available mulches have been treated or heated to prevent disease from being spread. If you have read up on glad diseases you'll see right away that every virus seems to result in stunted plants, most often stunted flower stalks as a symptom. The damage you describe sound like often just referred to as "yellows" or fusarium corm rot. There are some nematode problems of gladiolus that can also have similar symptoms but would persist after the mulch is removed. If it came and went with the mulch then I would suspect contaminated mulch not the type of mulch causing the problem.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:14 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
Mulch definitely has its cons but as for the original poster: Just be sure to keep the mulch away from the trunk/stems of your plants are....keep the mulch well away from there! Your plants need to have good ventilation and having the added humidity and conditions that the mulch adds to the scene makes that necessary ventilation even more crucial.

If you have the mulch too close to your plants, they will likely die. I would not even allow the mulch to be much under the bushes, if at all. To have mulch any closer to the base of your bushes than that would require an almost constant breeze of fresh air movement.

The same principle applies to growing house plants. Always remember ventilation.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,050,809 times
A few thoughts on mulch I've experimented with. I tried cocoa bean mulch and then noticed the mold that sprang up on it. Its supposed to be harmless and it seemed to break down pretty easily. Pine bark mulch for the shrubs kept down weeds and lasted a long time but didn't do much to improve the soil where we plant some creeping flowering plants for some color at the borders.
I've used peat moss and it loosens the soil but I'm not sure if it really adds humus to it. Licorice root mulch was easy to work with and broke down quickly, as did cypress mulch. But many say cypress isn't good for differing reasons so I won't use it again.
I noticed that the mulch I spread around the rhododendrons the last few years, a combination of licorice root and cypress and peat moss has really broken down and improved the soil. I've planted some shade flowering plants at its base and they are thriving. The rhododendron seems to be thriving too. If I lucked into a good combination I'll leave well enough alone.
I noticed some mounding near newly planted trees in a shopping center, black mulch nearly a foot high around the tree. That looks bad and can't be good for the tree.
At a local Wendys I saw they have red mulch and very nice plantings around the store and its well maintained. But by the drive thru under a tree theres a patch with untouched shrubs and neglected mulch. The reason... a profusion of poison ivy growing in and around the shrubs.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:20 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
The absolute worst thing you can do with any type of mulch around trees is pile it up around the trunk. Tree mulch should be a mounded ring away from the trunk a bit. Distances are subject to argument.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The absolute worst thing you can do with any type of mulch around trees is pile it up around the trunk. Tree mulch should be a mounded ring away from the trunk a bit. Distances are subject to argument.
This is definitely true. I can't count the number of trees I see driving by businesses and stuff with mulched piled up around the trunk by the "professional" landscapers. These are the same places that had mulch fires last summer during our extreme heat and drought.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,349,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Mulch definitely has its cons but as for the original poster: Just be sure to keep the mulch away from the trunk/stems of your plants are....keep the mulch well away from there! Your plants need to have good ventilation and having the added humidity and conditions that the mulch adds to the scene makes that necessary ventilation even more crucial.

If you have the mulch too close to your plants, they will likely die. I would not even allow the mulch to be much under the bushes, if at all. To have mulch any closer to the base of your bushes than that would require an almost constant breeze of fresh air movement.

The same principle applies to growing house plants. Always remember ventilation.
Why does everything have to be so complicated, so precise? In Nature, trees and shrubs drop their leaves and mulch themselves. No Nature fairies come along and pull the mulch away from the trunks. Sure, we advise people not to heap mulch up against the trunks or crowns of plants, but I've done it in my haste to get 20 years of mulch put down, and to no ill effect. All the gardening I've done over the decades, and all the gardeners I counsel in the MG program, I honestly can't think of a case where we diagnosed someone's problem as mulch being placed incorrectly -- the exception being mulch volcanoes and mulch piled up over tree roots. It just is not a big deal.

I routinely place mulch under shrubs, woithin a couple inches of the main trunks. I do that because under the shrubs is where I tend to get the most weeds. The shrubs are all thriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden