Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:12 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times

Advertisements

I am trying to add more winter interest to banish the blues here in zone 7. So far, I have a list of plants I'd like to add (or add more of) to my garden:

1. Hamamelis Vernalis - a purple cultivar. Flowers in winter. Native.
2. Hamamelis intermedia - "pallida" seems nice. Flowers in winter.
3. Ilex decidua - "possumhaw" likes alkaline soil. Berries in winter. Native.
4. Ilex verticillata - winterberry holly likes acid soil. Berries in winter. Native.
5. Burford holly - Ok with alkaline soil. Doesn't need a partner to make berries.
6. Stewartia - pretty bark and overall plant shape.
7. Dixie wood fern - evergreen for me. Native.
8. Autumn fern - evergreen for me.
9. Christmas fern - Native.
10. Paperbush - Edgworthia crysantha (sp?) Fragrant flowers in winter.
11. Crocus - Appear in late winter...and I need more of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
We have a contorted filbert, 'Harry Lauder's Walking Stick' out front. We got the purple foliage cultivar -- which of course, turns green in 90+ temperatures. It looks better in winter than it does in summer! It's an excellent speciment plant.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
I've heard that CF's can be short lived in my area, otherwise I would love one. I just thought of another plant: hellebores!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Proven Winners | Arctic Fire

if it's an informal area, and you have the space, this is interesting in the winter too
American Bittersweet

Old 07-30-2013, 04:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
We have a contorted filbert, 'Harry Lauder's Walking Stick' out front. We got the purple foliage cultivar -- which of course, turns green in 90+ temperatures. It looks better in winter than it does in summer! It's an excellent speciment plant.
You know I dug up and moved hundreds of bulbs and perennials and irises from my Atlanta garden to bring to my new N.C. I also had a 20 year old harry Lauder. I loved my Harry but knew I could not dig him up so I cut as many branches off as i could. I got an extra moving wardrobe box and crammed it plum full of harry sticks. I have an antique red rider wagon on my porch and all my harry sticks are in it. I also use them as supports in my garden. I know I didn't do any harm to the plant but I surely would love to see how it has filled out since my extreme pruning. Maybe this fall I'll try to find a new one for this garden. Thanks for reminding me about my beautiful left-behind friend, Harry Lauder.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Proven Winners | Arctic Fire

if it's an informal area, and you have the space, this is interesting in the winter too
American Bittersweet
We had several Arctic Fire redosier dogwoods planted this spring. They're lovely in winter as long as you keep them pruned every few years. The stems become thick and woody brown and must be removed to promote new red stems. They're also very "non" the rest of the year and get a fair amount of leaf spot. I kind of wish we had chosen something else.

Red chokeberry is a wonderful shrub for winter interest. Gorgeous flowers in spring, beautiful fall color, and red berries all winter. We actually put in the dogwoods to replace five chokeberrys that were dead from last year's drought. We didn't bother digging them ou, and wouldn't you know, they resurrected themselves after the dogwoods went in. So now we have a quandary to deal with next spring -- what to move.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
You know I dug up and moved hundreds of bulbs and perennials and irises from my Atlanta garden to bring to my new N.C. I also had a 20 year old harry Lauder. I loved my Harry but knew I could not dig him up so I cut as many branches off as i could. I got an extra moving wardrobe box and crammed it plum full of harry sticks. I have an antique red rider wagon on my porch and all my harry sticks are in it. I also use them as supports in my garden. I know I didn't do any harm to the plant but I surely would love to see how it has filled out since my extreme pruning. Maybe this fall I'll try to find a new one for this garden. Thanks for reminding me about my beautiful left-behind friend, Harry Lauder.
My husband loves Harry! He really wanted one because he fondly remembers the Scottish comedian, Harry Lauder, from his childhood. Harry always carried a crooked walking stick, hence the name of the filbert. I also use sticks that have broken off, mostly as supports or added interest in containers.

NK, see if you can find the purple one. It's magnificent. Lots of green sprouts from the graft union, though, and like most purple-leafed shrubs, it reverts to dark green in intense summer heart. The cultivar is called 'Red Majestic'.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Tina, I will start calling nurseries early fall or even now to get one ordered. Thank you.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 AM

NK, I googled it and found it on the LOWE'S website. Go figure!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
We had several Arctic Fire redosier dogwoods planted this spring. They're lovely in winter as long as you keep them pruned every few years. The stems become thick and woody brown and must be removed to promote new red stems. They're also very "non" the rest of the year and get a fair amount of leaf spot. I kind of wish we had chosen something else.
I've seen the dogwood used in a lot of commercial plantings and yeah, lots of pruning needed. They do sort of fade into the background in the summer, I often see them planted with chartreuse colored plants, which offsets that a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden