Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:36 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

I have some absolutely stunning Pampas Grass, planted about eight years ago by a professional () landscaper just a few feet away from a Blue Spruce on one side and a Forsythia on the other. Why on earth he chose to plant it where he did is beyond me. At any rate, it's gorgeous, but due to its positioning, the tree and the shrub on either side are getting crowded. The Forsythia is practically hidden and the Blue Spruce is struggling to find room to grow.

So anyway... I want to transplant the Pampas Grass. Can this be done without killing it? If so, how and when should I do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:37 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Pampas Grass is unkillable. Indestructible. Ironweed.

Dig up a patch of your existing pampas and stick it in the ground wherever you want--no need to be gentle. Give it a year or two to root in and it will thrive. Note -> pampas grass needs a lot of breathing room. Give it a lot of wiggle space away from anything else it might crowd out.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:00 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
^^^Agree, pampas grass is nearly indestructible. Dig it up and shove it in the hole, water it good, they say. It's considered a weed in some areas and banned by many HOA's.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:52 PM

Indestructible? Great! In this particularly instance, that's what I'm hoping for. When's the best time to transplant -- fall or spring?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:03 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
I chopped, hacked, and pulled out 2 very large pampas grass 3 years ago, and even then it isn't 100% gone. The previous owners of our home planted right in front of the propane tank to keep it from being an "eyesore." They got so big you couldn't get to the tank. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Make sure they are in a spot for PLENTY of room to grow. I believe spring is the best time to divide and transplant grasses.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
I chopped, hacked, and pulled out 2 very large pampas grass 3 years ago, and even then it isn't 100% gone. The previous owners of our home planted right in front of the propane tank to keep it from being an "eyesore." They got so big you couldn't get to the tank. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Make sure they are in a spot for PLENTY of room to grow. I believe spring is the best time to divide and transplant grasses.
I'm surprised that so many people consider them to be an eyesore or a weed. Ours has been growing for about 8 years now. Of course, it dies down to the ground every winter but by October, we have those big gorgeous fluffy plumes. I love it. We do have another perfect place for it. It's good to hear that I'm unlikely to kill it, as I do seem to have that talent sometimes. So next spring then... Thanks for the advise.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 2,074 times
Default Should I prune my Pampa grass once the transplant?

Hello! I am in a similar situation with the transplant of my Pampa grass. I have clear that there is no problem in transplanting it, so and I have a doubt, should I prune my Pampa grass once the transplant? Or the transplant as it is and so I leave it. Is it beneficial to trim it?

What I planned to do is once transplanted cut it almost to the ground level, in the same way I wait for the advice of someone more expert.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:10 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Pampas grass is great. Looks so ethereal and relaxing blowing in a breeze. Great accent or cover.

I've cut a big one in three or quarters.

I cut them back to a few inches for easier handling and envisioning when I'm re-positioning.

We have some zebra grass too which was a great surprise when I discovered it.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:41 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Extremely invasive, indestructable plant here in So. Cal...the edges of the leaves can cut like razor blades too...be careful.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:56 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You can't kill it. It's a good thing that you like it because it is just about impossible to get rid of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden