Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

I'm in the Denver, CO area. We have big squirrels here (they look like Jersey grey squirrels on 'roids with bad dye jobs), and they have ruined a lot of my squash and melons. My garden this year was purely experimental, but I'm wondering what I can do to cut down on the little suckers' depredations next year, besides get a BB gun. I was thinking netting maybe?

One of them actually PICKED a 5-pound spaghetti squash from the vine that I was going to harvest that day, dragged it a little way and then gnawed on it for a few bites before ditching it. I was pretty ticked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
They ate everything in my garden the first year here. We have eastern grey squirrels that are not native, and they are just bushy-tailed rats. For several years I made a pen with top and sides out of a plastic screen with 1" squares so bees could get in and that solved the problem but it limited the number of plants. Now I have a greenhouse with that same screen on the door and windows, and have no more problems with them, dear, or rabbits.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
They are eating the fruit off my trees everyday. You can't win. Even is you could shoot 50; they would invite 100 to the funerals! Unfortunately; many think they are cute and love to feed the squirrels. They probably get the lion's share of the deer corn that is sold every year. When they eat well; they multiply fast, very fast!

I used to love to grow corn in a small garden. Every time you think to yourself you will pick that ear tomorrow; the squirrels beat you to it! We have ducks and if we keep the duck food too close to the outside walls of the duck's cage; the squirrels will tear apart the wood frame. They destroy many wooden birdhouses - I presume to get at the bird eggs?

We are always happy for the fall hawk migration! Squirrel season also helps!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:34 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Lucky thing you're not growing pizza.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Lucky thing you're not growing pizza.

OMG, I laughed at those!

I did once see one carrying an entire baguette through my yard, which was weird

Old 08-27-2013, 05:20 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
Several years ago we had a picture garden, everything was just perfect. Then we had squirrels start showing up and with both of us working daylight to past dark we didn't do more than just pick the ripe stuff and water. Well we looked at the cabbage growing in a row and didn't much pay attention, hey, we could see it. Well when the time to pick it came we found that they had ate the backside of every one of them!.....

Old 08-27-2013, 07:12 PM

My feeling is that we are creating this nuisance. We buy countless tons of bird and deer food (squirrels get the lion's share of the bounty). Squirrels multiply like rabbits when the food is available. Then, when some people figure out that they have created a problem; they stop feeding. Of course squirrels are smart and are not just going to starve to death; if they have an option. That is where our gardens come in - everything looks great to hungry squirrels!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 PM

535 posts, read 966,689 times
Well, you all are going to hate my hubby. He rarely does anything since retiring but the one thing he does do is feed the squirrels in our Portland, Oregon neighborhood. He buys 50 lb. bags of peanuts and walnuts. He's built a ramp out of lattice so they can come right up to the window and be fed from his hand while he watches TV. I'm constantly sweeping shells off the patio and walkways. I can't go outside without nuts on me or they will attack. I'm 70 years old and weigh 110 lbs. Once, one of these critters nearly knocked me over. It climbed right up my panty hose as I was rushing off to church. I screamed and swatted at the bugger, lost my balance and he jumped off, ran just out of kicking range, stopped and looked at me like he was offended. Hubby just laughed. I keep thinking one of these days I'm going to lose it and yell, "It's me or those squirrels." But, I'm afraid after 50 years of marriage he'd choose them.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:58 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Danged rodents!

I wouldn't begrudge them a tomato or two, if they'd eat the whole thing. But they steal the fruit, take it up onto a tree or fence post, take a few bites, drop it, and then steal another one.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Danged rodents!

I wouldn't begrudge them a tomato or two, if they'd eat the whole thing. But they steal the fruit, take it up onto a tree or fence post, take a few bites, drop it, and then steal another one.
What really get's you angry is that squirrels know when to pick your fruit and vegetables. If you are in your garden today and say (to yourself): I think I will pick that one tomorrow - it will not be there tomorrow! The little pest are always one step ahead. Now, if we could only train them to do their share of the garden chores?

It's too bad that the Fall hawk migration waits until the Fall!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden