Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Em you finds (links) certainly add a great deal to this thread. I like the idea of pallets attached to a stone or brick wall but you would have to drill or nail them so I would not like that on my brick and stone house. Part of our house also has hardi plank and I asked DH to let me put up some window boxes. he refused saying any puncture of the wood would be inviting trouble. I asked over in the house forum and they are agreed it would not be a good idea. I'm a smart enough lady to let DH win from time to time so I had to let go of this plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
No Kudzu,
I see pallet pics all over Facebook too.
I think it looks OK, some of them anyway, but I can't
use wood for anything where I live.
The termites are sooo bad down here, we really can't
use ANY wood, it's a shame.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:56 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
yes the blue would not be my choice. I'm wondering how long it would last. I would treat the pallets first to give it as long a life as possible. I may be wrong but I think termites like dark places and not something out in the open like this. Still I wouldn't put it too close to my house- just like you aren't supposed to put fire wood close to your house.
I love the blue, the whole thing is quite vibrant and attractive.

Pallets can often be found for free...companies that receive goods as palletized freight (and who do not ship out goods in the same manner) may even be grateful for people who will come and take them away.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:45 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
I think it's a great idea, but I will caution anyone doing it to make an attempt to determine what has been stored on them. It's very possible that they are coated with chemicals or have had fluids that are not "friendly" added to them through spillage.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:32 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Very green way to reuse pallets. I love the post cap to give it a more fence like appearance.
It looks like that actually is a 4x4 fence post and not part of the pallets themselves, though I agree that the cap is a nice touch.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:33 AM

983 posts, read 2,543,161 times
Where would you get these pallets, I see I can add some of them inside the garden which shouldn't be an issue with the HOA, can't really use them as a fence. Very clever idea to re-use these pallets.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Garden centers in big box stores - in fact big box stores use them a lot. Large grocery stores sometimes use them- their suppliers ship on them. go look behind shopping centers, grocery stores, etc as sometimes they are left for the taking.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 AM

592 posts, read 2,244,367 times
Here is one I really like. Hugelkultur is a combination of wood and soil. This pallet garden is full of hugel.

My first Hugelkultur, feedback please! (hugelkultur forum at permies)

You can also find pallets on craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden