Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:06 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times

Advertisements

Upper 60's?! I wish!! Our forecast for next week around Boston is more 40's and grey rain. This is one crappy winter that just won't Die!!!!! How do they expect me to believe in "global warming" when all I see is crappy freezing weather and never ending ice and did I mention cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 04:07 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,796 times
65 here in the Denver Metro area today! Worked in the yard--it is coming alive. Lots of chives growing in my raised garden bed. Hoping some of the daffodils can wait until later in the week to bloom--snow in the forecast mid week

Old 03-29-2014, 07:00 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
I agree with Pennyone here, This as in Boston,Massachusetts in Indianapolis has been a nasty winter that just won't die. It snowed with about around 0.5 inches of heavy wet slushy snow accumulation today as the rainfall turned into snow before ending this morning, this afternoon 37 Degrees For a High Temperature was the best we could manage in Indianapolis, and yet the forecast calls for highs in the upper 60's to near 70 on Monday, Whether we get that warm Monday we shall see. I don't believe in that Global Warming propaganda after the 8th coldest winter on record in Indy as well as being the snowiest winter on record, I really think that this Global Warming Alarmism is way overblown and that there will be more negative than positive but that it won't be as severe as these Charlatans are saying. Frankly I don't see what the Big Deal with Cotton growing where Corn Once Grew would be, other than maybe the fact that areas well north can't support Corn Like Indiana can, that is perhaps where I can see where the problem is. The weather Across the Midwestern U.S. and parts of the East has been rather quirky recently that I am willing to admit. The Only Thing Blooming in Indianapolis are a few widely scattered crocuses here or there depending on whether the person has them in their yard, otherwise a few wild onions are and have been sprouting for the last week or two, and just within the past week, a few locations have had landscaping put in some pansies in a very few random spots through out the city of Indy as well as the neighboring suburbs.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:22 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
MD zone 6b/7a.
I THINK it's my amaryllis that are coming up (in containers). I need to see more, though. Other than that not. a. thing.
I mean, I have the green of some foliage on my lenten rose -- but flowers forgeddaboutit.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:29 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
MD zone 6b/7a.
I THINK it's my amaryllis that are coming up (in containers). I need to see more, though. Other than that not. a. thing.
I mean, I have the green of some foliage on my lenten rose -- but flowers forgeddaboutit.
Indianapolis zone 5b/6a see a few wild chives coming up in a few sporadic areas, isolated cases of crocuses just about ready to bloom but not actually blooming as of yet, some areas are planted in ornamental pansies, otherwise the landscape here is grey tree trunks, brownish green grass and otherwise barren and a lot more reminiscent of winter than where we usually are at the end of March in terms of vegetative growth.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:44 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Well, I cheated today. I BOUGHT these pansies and they will go in the ground tomorrow.
But, they ARE blooming, Right?

Old 03-30-2014, 07:45 PM

588 posts, read 1,439,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Daffodils, hyacinths, some forsythia, and trees are just starting to bloom. Everything's a little late this year.

I was out doing my circuit early this morning and everyone I saw had flower prints on their shirts. It's like we're trying to will spring to get going.
Yeah, that.

I too am in Northern Virginia.

On the south side of the house:
  • Crocuses bloomed about three weeks ago. They were destroyed in today's rain/sleet/snow/wind "storm"
  • Daffodils bloomed about two weeks ago, in the midst of the snow
  • Hyacinths bloomed earlier this week
  • Grape hyacinths are blooming now
  • Greenery for tulips and other bulbs (I can't yet tell what they are) have popped through the soil, but there are no buds yet.
  • The daisies are beginning to put greenery out

On the north side of the house, I have TONS of bulbs coming up, but no buds yet. The columbines are beginning to pop up all through one of the shade gardens (I allow them to go to seed and to self-seed wherever they want).

The trees haven't done anything yet.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:07 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Alas, my tulips were a bust, but the camellias and azaleas are in bloom now. The Bradford Pears have just finished blooming, the centipede grass is just starting to go green, and we are planting the gardens now.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:39 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I've had pansies blooming in flower boxes for a couple weeks (bought and planted them), crocus are about done, tulips and daffodils are growing, but not blooming, and I have Lenten Rose in full bloom. My grass... I've fertilized, thatched and mowed it once (mowed to suck up the thatch I raked) and it's greening up. It should be ready for a real mowing in a week or two.

I've seen cherry blossoms and the Bradford Pears (I think that's what they are) are greening up, soon to put out white flowers. This is definitely earlier than last year in Denver.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:51 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Just the crocuses. One hellebore has a very sad looking flower. I'll have to check and make sure it is not just a very dark leaf. But I'm still plenty busy. I've moved some shrubs and planted a couple of new shrubs. Still a ton more to do before the weeds really get going. There are a lot of tree limbs that I have to cut up and move as well. But YAY spring is HERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden