Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 12:50 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,212,763 times

Advertisements

Ok, this may be a baseless question but I wanted to know just the same, has anyone either yourself or someone you know of attempted to grow citrus fruit(They supposedly have varieties and brands that are touted as being more hardy than older varieties), or thought of or actually attempted to grow Avocados in North Texas, aka the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Ok, this may be a baseless question but I wanted to know just the same, has anyone either yourself or someone you know of attempted to grow citrus fruit(They supposedly have varieties and brands that are touted as being more hardy than older varieties), or thought of or actually attempted to grow Avocados in North Texas, aka the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex area?
I highly doubt it. Dallas got down to 15 degrees this past January, and had been that low in 2011 as well. No citrus or avacado could handle that.

I think the problem with DFW is that there's just nothing to the north to block arctic air from moving in every few years (no mountains or a body of water to neutralize the cold). I lived in San Antonio back in 89-90 and I remember it getting down to the upper teens there one night. That cold snap killed a lot of palms in San Antonio. Amazing that it can get that cold that far south. SA is about the same lattitude as Orlando. But I never saw any citrus or Avacado trees in San Antonio, and most trees there are deciduous. Some winters in SA you could grow very tropical trees, but then every decade or so, they get one horrible freeze down to the upper teens and it kills tropical vegetation, so most people don't bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden