Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:17 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Your so sweet.

Here I got you some flowers.
Wow -- I have one of those and ddin't know what it was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:32 AM

983 posts, read 2,542,705 times
No Kudzu, as always, great thread, can't rep you anymore, have to spread the love first.

I have been on CD on/off for the past 5 years and have seen a lot of great contributors and got great advise (with some yelling) from them. I think a lot of us take the comments too personal and when a knowledgeable one tell us we are not correct. I see that on every board and I can see some people just get nasty. I love CD and love all my "friends" on the boards and sure hope I don't see any of them leave because of some who are not taking it out on people.

Thanks again for a great thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:13 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've been on CD for several years and at least 4 times I've seen very generous and knowledgeable people run off by snarky comments. Glad to say I haven't seen it so far this growing season.

There was a man who managed a big box nursery department and he was so helpful. I like to look up his old posts. And he was mostly self taught. he was run off.

There was a man who knew so much about trees especially and he did a lot of volunteer work with ridding nuisance trees from land. He got into it about mimosa and sweet gum trees and got really mad at those who insisted they were pretty, and they would plant them no matter what harm they did. he gave up in disgust and took his considerable knowledge elsewhere.

There was a woman who took incredible time and energy to look up questions and post lots of links to back her posts. I marveled at her experience and willingness to share. Somebody on here called her a know it all and other snarky things. She has not been back in many months and i doubt she will ever be back,

So be sure to thank those who take the time and energy to share what they have learned either through formal education or experience. Many times we are getting information we should be paying big bucks for.
Good post. Good information.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:37 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Well I'm glad the garden section is a lot more polite now. OP if you are insinuating that anyone was "run off" of the forum, I'll openly admit that I defended many posters when they were attacked or belittled by one poster. If you mean J&EM, she did provide some useful information, but was rude (IMO) and condescending...especially to new posters.

This year I notice that we have many more people posting on the forum, and I LOVE it. I don't care how much people know as long as we're all polite and love gardening and are willing to learn from and share our experiences. I'm happy that the forum is that way. It is a fun place to come and rest after I'm tired of the more controversial areas of CD.

Well...until someone mentions Roundup...then all bets are off.
Wow. J&Em was one of the few reasons I used this forum and I miss her knowledge and kindness very much. I never, not in one single post of hers, saw her as rude or condescending. In fact, the very opposite. I often found myself wondering how she maintained composure at times and HOW she managed to diplomatically steer someone in the right direction. I also miss Tina very much. Her posts were always funny, passionate and knowledgeable.

I've participated in many garden forums over the years and never saw the confrontational style of posting that you see in so many other areas of the internet.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:57 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Sorry, but the only people to blame for being "run off" are those who do the running.

I reserve the right to argue with a know-it-all, and respect the right of anyone who wants to do the same with me or anyone else.

Because when you get down to it, no single one of us knows everything. Period. Heaven forbid we should be reminded of that.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:04 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Must be the lull between gardening seasons......very popular thread here.

Since 2007, I have really enjoyed this Gardening Forum. It has been wonderful, and every single poster has something to offer. I guess there are a few "Stars" on every forum. But, the regular gardeners, asking questions, respecting the earth, and digging their way to happiness are the ones who make this Gardening Forum successful. Those with more expertise are the icing on the cake!

Way back in September 2013, I should have reported "a very knowledgeable poster" to a mod. Sorry I didn't at that time. I didn't think 4 letter words were allowed here. That post was more than condescending, a personal, nasty attack on me. So much for "knowledgeable".

Happy gardening, everyone! This is the season we've been waiting for, after a long hard winter. Enjoy it!

Old 05-02-2014, 03:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
I'd say your "friends" need to grow up. The first guy, the tree expert, sounds like a 5 year old. Waaa I disagree with you so i'm taking my ball and leaving. Good riddance. The others sound super sensitive and an Internet forum is no place for thin skinned people. If pixels on a screen make them run away, then they have bigger issues and should focus on those anyway. besides, you are assuming that is why they are no longer active. You don't really know. They could still be here lurking, they could just be busy with other things or they could have died or any of 1000 other things. Such drama.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
I'd say your "friends" need to grow up. The first guy, the tree expert, sounds like a 5 year old. Waaa I disagree with you so i'm taking my ball and leaving. Good riddance. The others sound super sensitive and an Internet forum is no place for thin skinned people. If pixels on a screen make them run away, then they have bigger issues and should focus on those anyway. besides, you are assuming that is why they are no longer active. You don't really know. They could still be here lurking, they could just be busy with other things or they could have died or any of 1000 other things. Such drama.
Actually I do know. I had private conversations with all of them. I even went to visit with one.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:40 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Not everyone enjoys confrontation and harassment. It has nothing to do with growing up. You can be extremely mature, and still not like to be in unpleasant surroundings, lol. Those pixels on the screen are just as real as the idiot in the parking lot who calls you a jerk.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:21 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Actually I do know. I had private conversations with all of them. I even went to visit with one.
Then I stand corrected, you know that they stopped participating on the board because people were mean to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden