Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 09:14 PM

37,715 posts, read 46,149,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I guess we were lucky. But I think it's pretty, it was just too close. The people that lived some time ago owned part of a nursery. They planted all kinds of trees and some right next to the house! We took out all kinds of trees.
My boyfriend had one next to his deck. He kept having to cut down little ones, and finally chopped the whole thing down. It was horribly messy too - OMG it COVERED the deck in crap every single spring. It was awful to clean up that mess. I was so glad to see that tree gone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 10:45 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,949,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You'll find out pretty quickly.

Texas Invasives
It will not likely deter me. I grow a great many things from seed and many never leave pots. I'll find good use for it. I've dealt with invasives of one type or the other. Most I haven't found to be a big problem. In fact we may go lawn free in the near future. Then all things will be easier to manage.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
We had a mimosa tree planted too close to the house, so we took it out.

I have never seen any seedlings. Its been 15 years or more - nothing. Maybe it depends on the zone? Here in 7/8.
Yeah you don't want anything very big next to the house. I really like the Pride of Barbados as well which is more bus like.

Very colorful plant. The pods and seeds are remarkably similar. As seedlings they and mimosa are nearly indistinguishable.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:29 AM

9,742 posts, read 14,302,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Yeah you don't want anything very big next to the house. I really like the Pride of Barbados as well which is more bus like.

Very colorful plant. The pods and seeds are remarkably similar. As seedlings they and mimosa are nearly indistinguishable.
Beautiful, SATX56! Thanks for the uplifting photos!

Old 05-05-2014, 02:19 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,740,922 times
Quote:

Georgeous!!!! Look at those colors!

Old 05-05-2014, 08:52 PM

37,715 posts, read 46,149,173 times
Quote:

Wow very pretty. The national plant of Barbados - what an appropriately named plant! They are a member of the pea family...who would have guessed. Sounds like a perfect plant for Texas. Wish they would live in my area, but it's too cold here in Va.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Beautiful, SATX56! Thanks for the uplifting photos!
You're welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Georgeous!!!! Look at those colors!
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow very pretty. The national plant of Barbados - what an appropriately named plant! They are a member of the pea family...who would have guessed. Sounds like a perfect plant for Texas. Wish they would live in my area, but it's too cold here in Va.
I can't imagine living where it's so cold so long. We have mild winters generally and if not for a rare hard freeze we could grow about anything.

The Lower Colorado River Authority along with San Antonio River Authority and local water providers are dealing with drought conditions here. They've been introducing and providing some native plant varieties that do well in these conditions. I've yet to bother learning the names of some I have.

Back to Mimosa's and Pride of Barbados..These are seedlings of both and I just can't tell them apart. I grew many from seeds. The pods and seeds are quite similar also...

I haven't gotten to read much these days. It's a struggle just to keep my plants safe from the dogs and the heat and/or short lived freezes here.
More POB..

Old 05-06-2014, 12:59 PM

SATX56........I've "known" you since 2008 and had no idea you were so involved with growing your own seedlings and such! Your picture looks like my work shed! Whatever I can find to put something in, gets put to good use. Great photo! Thanks!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
SATX56........I've "known" you since 2008 and had no idea you were so involved with growing your own seedlings and such! Your picture looks like my work shed! Whatever I can find to put something in, gets put to good use. Great photo! Thanks!
Ha! Thanks! You wouldn't believe the assortment of foam cups and tin cans sitting in the spare den. Wife is constantly complaining. Guess I'm a closet gardener. I collected all sorts of odd cuttings and complete plants in pots years ago. I used to visit many homes and would end up in the gardens talking plants. Then I gave up a few years. Then my wife brought home a hoya and I was back in business.

We would be living in a jungle if not for the occasional daughter and family visits. (coming to stay for months or years to catch-up) Big dog here and there and sheds and such being utilized as well as the yard being destroyed. Most of my gardening dreams must live their days out in pots I'm afraid. I hate to let any seed go unplanted. I've grown many citrus trees and had good success with many plants. Life is tough.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Ha! Thanks! You wouldn't believe the assortment of foam cups and tin cans sitting in the spare den. Wife is constantly complaining. Guess I'm a closet gardener. I collected all sorts of odd cuttings and complete plants in pots years ago. I used to visit many homes and would end up in the gardens talking plants. Then I gave up a few years. Then my wife brought home a hoya and I was back in business.

We would be living in a jungle if not for the occasional daughter and family visits. (coming to stay for months or years to catch-up) Big dog here and there and sheds and such being utilized as well as the yard being destroyed. Most of my gardening dreams must live their days out in pots I'm afraid. I hate to let any seed go unplanted. I've grown many citrus trees and had good success with many plants. Life is tough.
Ha!!! You are a very dedicated gardener! Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden