Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 02:16 PM

323 posts, read 499,707 times

Advertisements

The male squash flower pistil (the yellow polleny thing down inside the flower) sticks out like a.... you know.....
The female flower 's pistil is a cluster of turned back ridgy things. You pick a male flower, peel back the petal exposing just the ..... male polleny thing. Then stick that in the female flower and rub it around getting pollen on the female parts. This is plant sex.

Cucumber and melon flowers are different. The female flower has a little baby melon or cucumber at the base of the petals. The hand pollination proceedure is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is why you need many plants, I have 10. Sometimes you get all male, then all female. If the timing is bad you will never get anything from them. With mine in a greenhouse I am hand pollinating every morning and afternoon with a soft artists brush and we have been eating squash for over a week now.
I have no less than 19 squash plants - yellow crookneck, patty pan and zucchini- and ALL of them are covered with male only flowers. I have gotten 6 actually squashes off them in the last 2 or 3 months.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
The male squash flower pistil (the yellow polleny thing down inside the flower) sticks out like a.... you know.....
The female flower 's pistil is a cluster of turned back ridgy things. You pick a male flower, peel back the petal exposing just the ..... male polleny thing. Then stick that in the female flower and rub it around getting pollen on the female parts. This is plant sex.

Cucumber and melon flowers are different. The female flower has a little baby melon or cucumber at the base of the petals. The hand pollination proceedure is the same.
LOL! X-rated! Thanks for not making me feel stupid.

I've always just taken care of the plants and reaped the harvest.

So, I also really am curious now, too - why would plants only produce male flowers? That does seem odd. Are they hybrids? What can cause this?

Old 07-14-2014, 02:45 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
After a few misshapen squash and cucumbers, I just pulled all mine out today because they had either completely succumbed to some kind of disease or looked very sickly. I will not try to grow these again, because they have never been successful in my SFG.
Herbs do best, and the tomatoes and peppers are OK.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:51 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
When we had heavy rains in Jersey a few years ago, my best friend's cukes and zukes really didn't produce much. Maybe after the rainy season has passed they will perk up?

Old 07-14-2014, 05:14 PM

I have noticed that under wet conditions, members of the cucerbit family tend to get mildewed leaves. New uninfected leaves grow. Pulling off these fungus leaves do not seem to have any effect whatsoever. Still, my plants have mostly to only, male flowers. You can pick flowers off squashes, dip them in cornbread batter and fry them but I am tired of eating fried flowers. WHERE IS MY SQUASH? WHY AM I INFLICTED WITH THIS CURSE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden