Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:41 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have the same problem. Our mailboxes are located on the street. My grass goes up to a raised berm on the edge of the road, there is no sidewalk. During the winter, our mailman will get his right wheels on the grass side of the berm and drive the 60 feet to the next mailbox leaving a rut in the grass. I can't imagine that a mailman walking between my neighbors' house and mine could be as destructive as this. I agree with the suggestions for the stepping stones. It sounds like the simplest solution.

So who has a solution to my problem? Keep in mind that the mailman can easily deny that he was responsible by claiming someone else drove over the edge of the curb.
Well, since you think stepping stones should be put across the op's garden, it would make sense that the solution to your problem would be to put a paved road between yours and your neighbor's homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 10:08 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,059 times
I would border the garden with something thorny, like gooseberries or even better would be fragrant roses grown for rose hips. The postal carriers should stick to designated sidewalks as any other person should, they are not exempt from basic courtesy because they are employed by the government. I had one postal carrier use my side gate to bring packages over that did not fit in our mail box, then leave the gate open. So we locked the gate so that he would have to use our front driveway public access. We had to gate off our front circle driveway because several neighbors would use it to turn around in, they would actually go all they way through the circle. I could understand the postal carrier doing it to deliver a package, or the power company to check the meter. This postal carrier the op is dealing with is just being rude because he is allowed to. Many service personel have been allowed to be lack in their behavior and we let them. WE must tell them we are dissatisfied with their service, not let it happen and accept it.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:19 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,104,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Since conversion kits are available, attempting to drive a left hand drive vehicle from the right is unnecessary.

RHD Kits | Right-hand Drive Conversion Kits (RHD)

Kits cost about $1700.
Except then the conversion kit would have to be disabled for the postal employee to his/her own vehicle necessitating, conversion and UNconversion 6 days a week. Not going to work.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:24 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Except then the conversion kit would have to be disabled for the postal employee to his/her own vehicle necessitating, conversion and UNconversion 6 days a week. Not going to work.
Why? As best I can tell, driving a right hand drive vehicle is not illegal in the US.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:55 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Well, since you think stepping stones should be put across the op's garden, it would make sense that the solution to your problem would be to put a paved road between yours and your neighbor's homes.
There is a paved road between my home and my nieghbors. The mailman chooses to drive over the edge of it. His vehicle does considerably more damage than if he walked between our houses and put my mail in a mailbox next to my front door.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:59 AM

530 posts, read 667,033 times
I have seen the postal employees doing this in Maryland but I'd be willing to bet that they walk across lawns in every part of the country. There doesn't seem to be a rule about this, or if there is, many of the employees don't abide by it and the post office certainly does not have the manpower to investigate all complaints.

If I owned a home where this particular thing was taking place, I'd plant thorny hedges that were too high to cross!

Old 01-15-2015, 08:14 PM

468 posts, read 582,854 times
Take a picture/video of the offense. Video tape yourself asking him to stop doing it. If he ignores you make a complaint.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Because the US Postal Service believes that a carrier doing his duty has the right to take the most efficient route to his next delivery point and the US Supreme Court has backed the postal service before in such confrontations. Thus making him not a trespasser but a carrier authorized to be on your property because that is where your mail receptacle is. You will not win a civil suit and the Sheriff will not arrest the carrier doing his duty. The option becomes how to get rid of the apparent shortest route to the next point.
I had a similar problem with a carrier cutting across my entire lawn in order to get to the house next to mine. I called the carrier supervisor who said pretty much the same as the above post. However, since I could prove that I have paid for a post office box and do not have any home delivery at all, the supervisor was sympathetic to the situation and he told the carrier not to walk across my lawn anymore.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:54 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I have seen the postal employees doing this in Maryland but I'd be willing to bet that they walk across lawns in every part of the country. There doesn't seem to be a rule about this, or if there is, many of the employees don't abide by it and the post office certainly does not have the manpower to investigate all complaints.

If I owned a home where this particular thing was taking place, I'd plant thorny hedges that were too high to cross!

Someone is certainly lacking in southern charm.

I guess it takes all kinds.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 9,740 times
Walking on Landscaping is one thing,and definitely wrong..Walking through a Wet ,Blacktop sealed driveway and tracking Black Footprints up my walkway and front steps is another !

I just had my asphalt driveway "Sealed",I put up the caution ribbon at the end of my driveway..You can clearly see the ribbon and smell the odor from the Sealent.

Of course my mail carrier loves to walk over lawns,through flower and rock gardens,anything to make her job easier ..So ,of course as usual ,she walks right through my WET driveway,onto my walkway,steps on 1 Belgium Block,and up my stairs..How do I know which way she walked ? Her black footprints ,several of which,are everywhere !

I call the local post office,explain to them what happened ,their response was : Yes,our carriers are allowed to walk on grass,through driveways or whatever in order to decrease their time spent working..Since I did not post..A "Do Not Walk" sign,on the side of my driveway,next to my garage..which is the Path she takes usually,how would she know not to walk there ? Thats the path she normally takes,so basically if the carrier has absolutely no common sense,or any care in the world for peoples personal property,according to the Supervisor it is "Not Their Problem",though of course he will "Speak to her" !

Several of my neighbors have complained about the same carrier that she walks through driveways and rubs up against their cars and scratches them . She was even caught my one of my neighbors that she placed her big bag on the hood of his brand new Infinity,60K $ + car,and scratched the hood..So basically,the carriers can do what they want,damage personal property,and do nothing about it ??

Im located in North NJ ..

Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden