Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

I have read both sides: some, with a lot more experience than me have said: no rocks. Even on CD, Nick says no rocks. I have a couple of books on container planting and they say, either no rocks or not necessary. I didn't use them this time around, but my garden, other than my herbs isn't worth much this year. So I have no idea what is right. I am learning I think and will approach things differently next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
nmnita,
When we know better, we do better.
All I have to say is you don't buy a nice plant from a nursery and get rocks
in the bottom of the pot. And when you buy the gorgeous plant, and its happy and blooming
the nursery that grew it did something right. No ricks, all rich well draining soil, right?
Just saying.
Oh, and for people who are obsessed with raising the PWT, perched water table, just do the
pot in the pot method, put the pot with the plant you have into a slightly bigger pot, and use
the exact same soil for both, and put soil in the larger pot too.
No PWT at all.
Easy Peasy. LOL

Old 06-30-2015, 04:54 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
This may be a bit off-topic but I'm contemplating growing boysenberries in containers and one source said they really like to spread so to put some kind of screen over the holes in the bottom so they don't take root! Anyone ever had this concern?

Old 06-30-2015, 05:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
You can used wadded up aluminum foil balls, instead of rocks.

Rocks are placed in the bottom of pots to help with drainage. At least that's what I always heard.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
This may be a bit off-topic but I'm contemplating growing boysenberries in containers and one source said they really like to spread so to put some kind of screen over the holes in the bottom so they don't take root! Anyone ever had this concern?
I once had to have a "non invasive" bamboo. I planted it in the pot with screen all around it. In no time flat I had bamboo all over the place. That's why I don't believe there is a non invasive kind. The roots managed to get out of the drainage holes and the fine screening around it.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
My wife always puts stones in bottom of pot over drain hole to make sure it drains well overtime. In time your likely to have to repot because its a pot with fixed soil in it. Sometimes increasing the pot size by if it likes bound roots or whatever.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:55 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Adding small rocks to the bottom of the pot doesn't hurt and in many cases aids in drainage and aeration.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:41 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
I thought the stone in the bottom of the pot is simply to keep the soil from falling out of the drainage hole, while still allowing drainage.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:14 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I do a great deal of container gardening. For really large pots I flatten old nursery pots, milk jugs, anything plastic and then cover with either landscape fabric or coco mats so I don't lose any soil but I still have good drainage and plenty room for root development.

I have so many containers I don't want to waste good soil just to fill up a huge pot. I also put peanuts in plastic grocery bags, tie the handles together and stick them in the bottom on big pots.. This way I don't have to deal with loose peanuts when I empty the containers. What a mess that can be. Unless you have high winds I doubt you need weight in any container.
never heard of doing that, does it drain well though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden