Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 04:27 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OMG !!! Please please tell me what that gorgeous rosy red bush is called so I can buy 10 of them. I absolutely love that color and although it probably won't grow in AZ, I might be able to have it when I move to milder soil. Thanks so much.
To be specific, that's probably the TUSCARORA Crape Myrtle. That's a good color rendition of it, in the photo. Frequently, it photographs lighter than it actually is. I've grown it. Very vigorous, and totally resistant (for me) to the aphids and mildew which plague the older varieties (the ones NOT named after Indian tribes).

Here's the definitive guide to choosing the right variety for the spot you have in mind: Crape Myrtle Varieties

Notice there are MINIATURES! Many of them have horizontal growth habits, which make them wonderful for flower beds/foundation plantings. The 'minis' tend to bloom like crazy, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 05:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Thanks everyone. I really love all of the colors and will make note of Tuscarora for my new garden (whenever I finally get there).

Old 08-23-2015, 07:13 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
what I grow as moonflower is the ipomoea alba, which is kin to the morning glory. I believe yours is a datura, as mentioned above. My vines bloom at dusk and the flowers last one night. They are huge and smell wonderful.

They are an annual for me. I collect the seed pods but I have never had them reseed on their own, even in the compost. I usually interplant them with Heavenly Blue mgs.

My favorite nursery has had datura labeled as moonflower and in with the vines for the last three years. I bought one once. The leaves smelled really bad if you bruised them.

Yours are beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
My (Brief) love affair with Moon Flower-moonflower1-400x533.jpg  

Old 08-23-2015, 07:54 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
Very nice.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:40 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
The moon flower looks like bindweed or wild morning glory. I had those here and it took years of pulling to get rid of them. they came from my neighbors.

Now I have oriental bittersweet and some other huge thing that I need to figure out how to kill.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:29 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
They are also called datura, or Devil's Trumpets, and they will grow in Florida. Up north, they grow as an annual. But as NK mentioned, reseed.
In SW Florida, without a frost they live through winters and become bushy. Their cousin is Brugmansia, which is a bushy tree, and flowers hang down instead of up. Also called Angel Trumpets.
And that is one beautiful bush of them NK
Ditto I thought it would be moon flower at first, but the seeds are different. What many people commonly call moonflower is a fragrant vine that opens its flowers in the evening. I first grew it to attract bats to my yard.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:35 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Some of these names are so confusing! I would never call a datura a moonflower but after doing some research I see that it is common to do so. In my area if you say moonflower we think ipomoea, from the morning glory family.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:42 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,759,412 times
I have never seen a moonflower in a bush form and have never seen them for sale in our area. It's beautiful.

The one thing I can grow is the moonflower vine, from the morning glory family. I absolutely love them, I plant them every year and they are not invasive. Once a cold snap hits, they are dead and they do not return. Unfortunately this year, I must have planted 10 seed packets and either the plant didn't survive, or they are about 6" high after 5 months. I don't know if it was from all the rain we had or what, but this year, no dice.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:55 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
The datura that you have in the picture is a bush datura.
They have poinky seeds too, and aren't fragrant. They are poisonous.
I grow the moonflower vine. Which has big smooth white seeds that are easy to
grow, and they bloom in the fall only. They grow all summer and when they bloom in
September, the bloom opens after 7pm.
The huge white bloom smells sooo good it's actually amazing.
The pollinators are moths, so they open at night and are white.
If someone hasn't tried this vine, I think you should next spring or summer.
The smell alone is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden