Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 06:36 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We love Hostas and they thrive in our lack of sun. Unfortunately the deer and rabbits love them more than we do, so they are looking pretty ragged now with so many leaves half-way or completely eaten.
A good healthy slug can take care of a hosta in one night. I used to go around picking them off things in the morning and throwing them back into the woods. They probably just spent most of the day trudging back to our garden so they could be ready to feast again at night. That was in the Pacific Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 01:55 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncliving60 View Post
Such a fun topic!

Mine was a moonflower vine. Two sweet little seeds--I had read of the possibilities, but planted them anyway, thinking "What can it hurt, since the freezing temps will keep it in check?" Obviously that was all the thinking I did before plopping those things in the ground in front of our white privacy fence. The result was lovely. The perfume and the beautiful white blooms were splendid! But 4 years later, I think there is still brown residue from that monster, clinging to the fence.

After frost, cutting away its cold dead body and dragging it to the compost pile was more effort than all the remaining garden required. It must have weighed 75 pounds!! And did I mention the seed pods!?! Holy cow! I spent hours making certain not a single seed remained. There have been others, many that were mentioned above, but none to compare to the moonflower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
holy buckets, it grew that big in a single season?
i have a couple going now, the deer ate the rest. hope there will be no regrets.
^
i resuscitated this 2-years-dormant thread with the above post, and am happy to say i have no regrets with my moonflowers. they were awesome.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:58 AM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,657,641 times
I put in 5 potentilla 4 years ago; 3 Mango Tango and 2 Creme Brulee as I wanted something that would pretty much have color all summer.

Bought really nice sized plants at a local nursery and they were not cheap, but I am pretty much to the point of just replacing them. Every year the blooms have been really sparse so they are not at all attractive. I guess I'll give them one more year, but they are on borrowed time.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:59 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,332,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I put in 5 potentilla 4 years ago; 3 Mango Tango and 2 Creme Brulee as I wanted something that would pretty much have color all summer.

Bought really nice sized plants at a local nursery and they were not cheap, but I am pretty much to the point of just replacing them. Every year the blooms have been really sparse so they are not at all attractive. I guess I'll give them one more year, but they are on borrowed time.
I am totally unfamiliar with the plants you named, but I wanted to suggest you list them on CL or something similar. Some gardeners might be interested in having them and will come dig them up. This saves both the life of the plant and your labour.

Old 12-13-2022, 01:08 AM

840 posts, read 773,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Trumpet vine! Everytime I turn my back to it it is popping up somewhere else in the yard. It is literately growing through a dime size space between my deck boards. Nothing like having a vine growing up your leg while trying to enjoy a family bbq. And the more you trim it to keep it in check the more shoots pop up somewhere else. All my other mistakes are easily dug out, but not this monster!

A gopher ate mine when young. Maybe oone would keep yours to a minimum. (hint) LOL

Old 12-13-2022, 01:17 AM

840 posts, read 773,289 times
Crete Weed. . . . I thought it was a pretty, native, annual, wildflower . . . & had quite a patch of them each year . . . until I learned that its seeds can cause trouble for animals similar to how foxtails can. . . . Now I rip them out as soon as I recognize them!

Old 12-13-2022, 09:22 AM

3,507 posts, read 763,567 times
pine trees .. 30 years ago i planted 20 around the circumference of my one acre property ..i hate winter and wanted year around greenery to offset the winter doldrums .. a friend warned me i would regret it .. he was right .. these are self shedding and limbs fall all the time and the cones and the needles are a nightmare .. 1/3 are too close to my house to safely cut down .. the rest are too close to neighbors fencing to cut down .. someone will have to deal with them after i pass on ..

Old 12-15-2022, 01:17 PM

257 posts, read 165,852 times
Transplanted an old privet hedge, saved it before the road was widened in its original location and it came with lots of poison ivy. Never could pull it all out. Wonder if the new homeowner went to war with it.

Old 12-19-2022, 07:02 AM

21 posts, read 15,373 times
In windy Wyoming our first year we let some plants seed out on our acreage outside of town and paid for it the next 8 years! Keep a close eye on Tansy, Horehound, Fennel and Echinacea. We fought them in every crevice that held a seed it seemed.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:47 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Thought I would bump this thread, in view of another more recent thread about regrets. Plenty of warnings in the posts. Don't say we didn't tell you! And ugh, some of my neighbor's violets have escaped and invaded my yard again! They popped up everywhere last summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden