Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:40 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I am in exactly the same situation with my fig tree. However, we found that even though the figs look ripe, they no longer taste as good as before the freeze... That accidental early freeze really put a damper on things...
My husband is going to try one today or tomorrow. He suspects what you said will be true of these figs. He grew up eating figs that his father grew, so I'll take his word for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 05:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Deceased:

Caladiums (all 96 of them, with the exception of one defiant spike on one plant)
Coleus
Begonias
Torenias (my precious, luscious, gigantic, trailing-just-the-way-I-wanted-it torenia!!!!)
Hybrid impatiens
Moonflower
Passion flower
Celosia

All of the above are to be expected, but... sigh. And I'm not an indoor plant person, so I didn't even consider bringing anything inside.

Still doing well:

Chrysanthemums of all kinds
Any sedum that is still blooming
Heuchera/coral bells
Toad Lilies (love my toad lilies!)

Doing OK, hanging in there:

Scented geraniums, which got enormous this year
Some of my agastache

My fig tree, which had just started yielding ripe fruit, now has all its leaves curled up. They will fall off soon. I told my husband I hope he enjoyed the 2 figs I harvested, because that's all he is getting! It was slow off the mark this year because last winter was so awful.

Anyone else have a hard frost yet? Anyone want to make me envious by telling me you don't get hard frosts where you live?

So much death in my garden today; it inspired me to put my Halloween yard decorations up.

I am already daydreaming about next spring. Tulip, daffodil, crocus and hyacinth bulbs should arrive via UPS any day.
sorry so many died at once: I hope you had a proper furneral for them. We are expecting our first freeze tonight, but our plastic flowers should do just fine.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:45 AM

Well, we have a couple of defiant begonias that just refuse to die. We have had 3 hard frosts so far, with temps as low as 30. Imagine my surprise:

The second photo shows how everything else around these two begonias, including other begonias, is dead. The yellow flower is my little breath of fresh air. You can't see it in the photo, but that plant has 2 other buds.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:41 PM

Hmm, not sure why my photos disappeared in the above post. I saw them embedded in the post when I originally made it. I'll repost them here, but I'll leave them as thumbnails to be clicked, just to be safe.

BTW, last night's 27-degree temp. killed the begonia. When I went outside this morning, it looked like it had melted. Ah, well, it was nice to have it so far into November.
Attached Thumbnails
First hard frost last night-20151116_152333.jpg   First hard frost last night-20151116_152351.jpg  

Old 11-25-2015, 07:35 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
We got our first hard frost on Sunday, November 22nd.

No gardens here but:

Flies have been greatly reduced.
Annoying Japanese Lady Beetles have been greatly reduced.

This means I have to de-worm my horses against bot worms Thanksgiving Day, as the Bot Fly population has happily also taken a heavy hit

Old 11-25-2015, 07:53 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We had a touch yesterday. The Impatiens are hanging in there, but they don't look good. I brought my orange and lime trees into the garage. They will spend the winter in front of a sunny window. Last year, this worked out good. I brought in a Staghead fern and an air plant and they're hanging in the bathroom. March 15th is the last chance of frost here, so its not that long for them to be inside.
Everything else will just sink or swim. Here in zone 8, most things are hearty, and only the tropicals die off.

Interestingly, I was riding around the neighborhood and saw a huge orange tree covered with fruit, planted in the ground. I wonder how mine would do, but I'm afraid to chance it.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
We got our first hard frost on Sunday, November 22nd.

No gardens here but:

Flies have been greatly reduced.
Annoying Japanese Lady Beetles have been greatly reduced.

This means I have to de-worm my horses against bot worms Thanksgiving Day, as the Bot Fly population has happily also taken a heavy hit
Yes, reduced flying pests *is* a benefit of cold weather! Especially the darn mosquitoes!

Old 12-01-2015, 08:06 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
It's 8 degrees this morning with a foot of snow on the ground. My garden is not only dead, it disappeared.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
It's 8 degrees this morning with a foot of snow on the ground. My garden is not only dead, it disappeared.
It's just sleeping! At least that is what I tell myself in the winter time.

We have a couple stubborn plants here that have just refused to die, despite a number of hard frosts. I think the warm weather we have been mostly having is giving them some hope. I have a pot of Gaillardia that still has some buds and new blooms on it.

I still have a number of bulbs to plant, so I am hoping the warmer weather lasts a bit longer. I hate it when the soil is so cold my hands hurt! It's finally raining here today, so at least the bulbs I already planted are getting some water. Grow, babies, grow! See ya in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden