Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 09:41 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,601,746 times

Advertisements

whats a lawn? we dug ours up 6 years ago and we grow our fruit and veg in that area now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 10:42 AM

53 posts, read 48,376 times
I don't use it for anything except to yell at the local kids to get the hell off of it

Old 12-23-2015, 11:23 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Some people assume once you have kinds they will run around in the backyard lawn. Is it true? Do kids run around pointlessly just because they found a flat grassy surface?
We used to when we were kids. We also used to play catch, football, hide and seek, tag, red rover, british bulldog and many other games parents these days would never dream of allowing their special snowflake risk breaking a fingernail (or a sweat) while playing.

Seriously... With questions like this, is there any reason to wonder why there is a childhood obesity epidemic???

Old 12-23-2015, 11:51 AM

22,844 posts, read 6,437,040 times
I live in an area of southern colorado that would be probably be defined as prairie....we have a small grassy area in
the back yard off the patio fenced for the peke...the lot is actually over an acre. The front is mainly driveway,
trees and some flowers, the rest we mow every once in a while with a riding mower.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:44 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
I like to give neighbors a place to leave their dog's poop. Im considerate.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:00 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Apparently, as a bathroom for the neighborhood's dogs.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:09 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,293 times
Why I have a lawn:
1) My kids use it to play sports and games (mostly just made up stuff with impromptu rules).
2) The clover and other wildflowers in the lawn attracts lots of honey bees to my garden and fruit trees.
3) It feels nice when barefoot.
4) Its nice to see something green and alive during the winter.
5) It keeps the mosquitoes away. I can't imagine how bad they'd be right next to the woods with lots of shade and standing water. This is actually the reason for the giant plantation lawns in the deep south. Most of the area below the Mason Dixon line was a malarial region until around 1900 and most white people of European decent did not have a long life expectancy if frequently bitten.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Assuming the lawn is the usual grass species--

1. it keeps the area cooler by absorbing heat without reflecting it
2. it is literally restful to the eyes as the wavelenth reflected is in the middle of the visual spectrum
3. it is visually peaceful by being soft and monotonous
4. smells great when mowed
5. a place to wander, play, sit on lawn chairs
6. produces oxygen absorbs carbon dioxide
7. background to showcase items like patios, pottery, pools
8. sound absorber
9. keeps soil in place but lets rain percolate through to the groundwater
10. dogs and kids can run happily through it without obstruction--makes us happy
all true.

We garden, both ornamental and vegetable, have swing set which the 13 year olds still play on, have badminton net up , put dogs outside when we leave for more than an hour or two (fenced in), take our shoes off to feel grass in our toes, and just enjoy green everywhere.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:51 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,177 times
When we bought this half acre it was nothing but thistles 6 foot tall so thick you had to fight your way through them. I remember years before saying this was the worst lot imaginable and we ended up buying it later. SMH. so the first year we put the house and shop on it and hauled in top soil. I tell you I ate dirt until I thought I was going to die from it. The house was filthy from it the winds blowing across it. The following late spring hubby leveled it some what and I planted lawn and it was tough getting ti to grow and we were still fighting thistles.8 years later we still fight the thistles. Not nearly as bad now.

So our lawn is used to hold down the dirt and cooling around the house. I hope to finish fencing it so the dogs can be out there with me when I am working. I would prefer to have had some thing else than lawn but it was the best I can do. Hubby is NOT a yard person. Takes me about 30 minutes to mow with the riding mower. I do not mind mowing and is a postage stamp compared to the 10 acres of cemeteries we took care of.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:28 PM

678 posts, read 438,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Why I have a lawn:
1) My kids use it to play sports and games (mostly just made up stuff with impromptu rules).
2) The clover and other wildflowers in the lawn attracts lots of honey bees to my garden and fruit trees.
3) It feels nice when barefoot.
4) Its nice to see something green and alive during the winter.
really ?

What we use the humus & top-soils & subsoil etc for is to house Nut-trees + Fruit trees + related bushes, &
hedges + flowers plus ornamental groundCovers like sedum, etc. iow, for 'grass' on this place there is NO room whatsoever
tho
have you heard of > "GOD'S THOUGHTS ON LAWNS" <
on 2nd. thought
not wanting to derail this fine thread, I will start another one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden