Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:47 AM

719 posts, read 1,059,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
One cut should be enough to kill the vines. You may want to go back later and cut back to closer to ground level the shoulder height stumps.

It will be a couple weeks before you see the ivy start to brown off, it's working through the nutrients and water left in the vines.

It's not exactly a quick process, the warmer it is the faster it will happen.

You may want to put a Roundup type product on the cut ends going to the ground. The problem with doing that is that there is some evidence that some of those products can leach out of the ivy roots to the tree roots and cause issues. Those stumps will survive unless you do that or pull them at some point. If they start to put out new growth cut it off immediately. You don't want to have the same problem start again and cutting the new growth will eventually (as in a couple years eventually) kill the stumps.

If you just chipped the tree's outer layer of bark it should be ok.

Something else.The ivy has spread into the woods on the ground behind my house. Can I chop it up with a hoe to kill it?Put roundup on it?or do both? I was thinking about using my tiller to till the ivy but the soil in the woods would be hard to till with lots of tree roots in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 09:12 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I think the poster meant to put it on the ends of the vine that go UP into the tree canopy, not the ends that go back into the ground. Although since OP seems confused about what to do despite people all saying the same thing, it might be best to go ahead and be specific.
There would be absolutely no need to herbicide the vine leading upwards from the cut. That part is going to die regardless.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:13 AM

45,404 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
Something else.The ivy has spread into the woods on the ground behind my house. Can I chop it up with a hoe to kill it?Put roundup on it?or do both? I was thinking about using my tiller to till the ivy but the soil in the woods would be hard to till with lots of tree roots in it.

Who owns the property?

If it were me I would go chemical on that large a patch (you could hand pull it). If you do go chemical be aware that anything green it touches will be impacted, both good plants and bad.

Tilling or hoeing without removing will just cause the problem to get worse. Every little bit of vine will root and grow.

English Ivy usually needs a couple treatments of killer, it's tough ****.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Who owns the property?

If it were me I would go chemical on that large a patch (you could hand pull it). If you do go chemical be aware that anything green it touches will be impacted, both good plants and bad.

Tilling or hoeing without removing will just cause the problem to get worse. Every little bit of vine will root and grow.

English Ivy usually needs a couple treatments of killer, it's tough ****.

I own the property and where I am talking about is in woods with no groundcover except old leaves and the ivy on the ground. So hand pull or go with the roundup?

Old 04-26-2016, 09:30 AM

45,404 posts, read 60,592,880 times
A combination, pick your spots. As I said I'd likely call in the chemical weapons if I were doing it.

Once the ivy is gone don't be surprised if other native plants (forbs) start to grow

Old 04-26-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
A combination, pick your spots. As I said I'd likely call in the chemical weapons if I were doing it.

Once the ivy is gone don't be surprised if other native plants (forbs) start to grow

Sounds good.I am going to start on the smaller oak tomorrow.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:36 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Have you tried digging around the vines to expose the root? It might be easier then trying to cut the vine embedded in the tree. I would definitely NOT cut down some beautiful old growth tree to eliminate a vine.

Cut the root at the top of the soil in half or as near as in half as you can get. I would inject the rood with a herbicide. Tree roots go deep and if it's done carefully you shouldn't harm the tree.

I use a ground clear around the edge of my garden every year without harming my vegetables. Just a couple of light sprays on the weeds and they're gone for the rest of the summer. Unless it rains for 12 hours straight right after you put it down. Doh!

Herbicides are tricky but very effective.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:41 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
I would do just that but I cannot overstate the thickness of the trunks that have grown up these trees .I am not dealing with just a vine .That's how the ivy trunks are on my tree.Thick , woody and in places overlaid. I will continue to cut away at the trunks but I do not want this vine spreading to my other trees.

I use loppers regularly to cut woody vines that are as thick as a human's wrist. That's what your photo looks like.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:52 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
There would be absolutely no need to herbicide the vine leading upwards from the cut. That part is going to die regardless.
Oh, *I* agree with you, but the OP seems to have no grasp on what everyone is trying to tell him, and he also is very concerned that the vines in the canopy die faster than normal. Even in responding to my post, he thinks I want him to climb up a 40 foot tree to apply an herbicide, when that is not what I said.

The advice (which has already been given over a dozen times) is simple:
1) get loppers and cut the vines anywhere in the 0-5 foot high region of the base of the tree. Yes they are thick, but you can do it without damaging the tree. And if you nick the tree a couple times, it should still be okay.
2) once the vine is severed in half, the stuff heading up the trunk to the canopy will die automatically because they've been separated from the root system. Or apply herbicide to the cut ends leading up the tree if you want it to die faster (which is what I think that other poster was saying in his post - that's how I took it, anyway).
3) let vine going up into the canopy die - it WILL die - and once it has dried out completely (which may take many, many months) simply remove the dead vine from the trunk leading up into the canopy. I'll also add, if necessary, call a tree service in to remove the portion beyond your reach.

I personally think this is a troll thread because over a dozen posts have been made telling him what to do, and how to do it, in very simple terms, and he's making it harder than it needs to be AND keeps responding with the same comments over and over again.

Edited to add: OP, just call a tree service to come and take care of this for you, since you clearly don't feel comfortable doing it.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:30 AM

I sprayed roundup on the cut ends leading up to the canopy and down into the ground.Is roundup what everyone means by herbicide? Roundup is all I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden