Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 01:45 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davissja View Post
We bought a brand new Sears Craftsman riding lawnmower two summers ago. We went to start it this spring and it would not go forward or backward. We asked the Sears people to come out and check it, which cost $100.00. They said that the transmission was dead and to fix it would be $1000.00. We paid $1400.00. We didn't buy a warranty because we thought we could trust the Craftsman name. We were told, "So sad, too bad". Come and buy a new lawnmower.
I guess that in order to have something last, one has to pay the company hundreds extra cause they are selling crap. Sarah 6-6-2016
I used to own a repair shop and I always hated Sears lawn mowers. I did not like working with their parts department. They had a habit of changing parts frequently to promote sales and it was a mechanic's nightmare. The only way I would work on them is if the customer got the parts from Sears - I did not have the time to waste or the need to be stuck in the middle. Of course that was forty five years ago and perhaps they have changed today + I imagine that computers help.

I also worry about buying any Sears products simply because they are financially still in hot water. I would not want a riding tractor that I might or might not have trouble finding parts.

Now, as far as replacing the transmission (transaxle); you might want to see if there are any tractors available that have been scrapped for engine failure. Possibly you could buy another tractor very cheap with a blown engine?

One last thing I would look at is if you really have any 'transmission' problem. Some riding tractors have little transaxle disengaging leavers sticking out the back of the tractor. It usually doesn't look like too much; just a heavy wire with a little rubber protector over the end and sticking through the rear cover. This is to disengage the transaxle so the unit can be easily pushed. There is always a chance that a mechanic did not know of this disconnect or they were out to take you for a lot of money. Of course I would also double check my drive belt to make sure it is not broken or off any pulleys. I would also want to see if the axle is secured to the wheel and not freely spinning. Transmissions (transaxles) do not go bad that easily; you might even research to see if there is any extended warranty on defective units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Okay so I broke a primary drive belt on the mower deck this morning. The original drive belt lasted from 2001 to 2014 at which time both belts on the deck were replaced. It looks like the new primary belts only last a year now.
Mine (just replaced) was the original but rather than pay Sears $19.95 for the current replacement, and wait for shipping or drive 30 miles, I went to the local auto parts and bought a Gates made for automotive use matched to the right size for $11. My mower deck belt still looks fine but may have been replaced before I bought it.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:48 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I never understood that, things built in the past were stronger and lasted longer. Didn't they want consumers to come back frequently and keep making purchases? How did they make money back then?

Makes you wonder why things are made cheap now.

Either:
Consumers don't want to pay for something good
Manufacturer needs that income to keep happening
Or cost of imports or parts are too high
A car, appliance or lawn mower that is reliable and keeps working for years, (or can be easily fixed), means that customers delay their next purchases. What will the manufacurer sell in the time being?
Also such tools tend to cost more and the public (that usually doesn't understand much) are responding to the bottom line. Therefore today's effort goes towards marketing, advertising and exterior design. What's under the skin takes the back seat.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:02 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Mine (just replaced) was the original but rather than pay Sears $19.95 for the current replacement, and wait for shipping or drive 30 miles, I went to the local auto parts and bought a Gates made for automotive use matched to the right size for $11. My mower deck belt still looks fine but may have been replaced before I bought it.
I think Sears Parts wants over $50 for my belt. The belt is on a 48" deck and is about 90" long (5/8" wide). I can usually find them for around $20 online. I just ordered two belts.

I have gone to automotive belts at times to replace smaller belts like on a swamp cooler or even on my old Ford tractors where only a water pump and generator/alternator are being pulled. Gates has indeed always been a decent belt.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I am not saying that the belt you bought will not work; but some automotive belts will not hold up under the demanding use for lawn equipment. Most automotive belts do not have to be engineered for engaging/disengaging and slipping. Gates makes special belts for such use called their 'PowerRated' belts. Here is one link to Gates: http://www.gates.com/~/media/files/g...nt-4312061.pdf. Unfortunately there are almost seven hundred pages; but just scroll down one page and you can see one of their PowerRated displays that possibly you might find at a hardware store - at least you should always ask for the heavy duty lawn equipment belts.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:53 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
A car, appliance or lawn mower that is reliable and keeps working for years, (or can be easily fixed), means that customers delay their next purchases. What will the manufacurer sell in the time being?
Also such tools tend to cost more and the public (that usually doesn't understand much) are responding to the bottom line. Therefore today's effort goes towards marketing, advertising and exterior design. What's under the skin takes the back seat.
You are SO right ! Just like far to many humans these days. They look good, and spend a lot of money, time and effort to look good, but what's really under the "hood" ? Sometimes that isn't quite as pretty. Our business principles and societal values in general directly reflect the principles and values of it's people. Think about that for a while.....

We want cheap products made to high quality standards. First of all, that's an impossibility. Second of all, it's easy to see a cheap price, but much more difficult to look under the "shiny" new skin of a new product and actually find the weak points where failure will undoubtedly take place long before failure should be expected. We should hold manufacturers responsible, but we don't. We just queue up and buy a new one with little more than a little whimper. Given how we fall into the cash register line so well, why should they change ? They have little incentive to change until we force them to by being willing to pay a little more for better quality products that offer a better value in the long run....not to mention not filing up our landfills with junky products that fail years to soon. Soon enough the manufacturers who make "cheap" junk will cease to exist. But....we don't do it.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
You are SO right ! Just like far to many humans these days. They look good, and spend a lot of money, time and effort to look good, but what's really under the "hood" ? Sometimes that isn't quite as pretty. Our business principles and societal values in general directly reflect the principles and values of it's people. Think about that for a while.....

We want cheap products made to high quality standards. First of all, that's an impossibility. Second of all, it's easy to see a cheap price, but much more difficult to look under the "shiny" new skin of a new product and actually find the weak points where failure will undoubtedly take place long before failure should be expected. We should hold manufacturers responsible, but we don't. We just queue up and buy a new one with little more than a little whimper. Given how we fall into the cash register line so well, why should they change ? They have little incentive to change until we force them to by being willing to pay a little more for better quality products that offer a better value in the long run....not to mention not filing up our landfills with junky products that fail years to soon. Soon enough the manufacturers who make "cheap" junk will cease to exist. But....we don't do it.
It's a matter of balance. I will buy certain tools at Harbor Freight, for example, because I use them infrequently, so despite poor durability, I still get my money's worth out of it. For something I use often such as a cordless drill I will study the ratings and go with something that costs more but will hold up. TVs are almost disposable now it seems, with the cheap ones such as Westinghouse, Sceptre, or Element that might last a year or two. Meanwhile, that old 2002 Sony 32" Trinitron CRT TV in the bedroom is still going strong at age 14.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:10 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,860 times
Quote:
It's a matter of balance. I will buy certain tools at Harbor Freight, for example, because I use them infrequently, so despite poor durability, I still get my money's worth out of it. For something I use often such as a cordless drill I will study the ratings and go with something that costs more but will hold up. TVs are almost disposable now it seems, with the cheap ones such as Westinghouse, Sceptre, or Element that might last a year or two. Meanwhile, that old 2002 Sony 32" Trinitron CRT TV in the bedroom is still going strong at age 14.
I've used Harbor Freight exactly like it sounds you do. If it's a "one and done" deal where I'm unlikely to ever use this item again, I want functional for one use and cheap. Typically though, I used my tools for years and still have mostly SK hand wrenches/tools I purchased when I was 16 and working on my first car...and I still have them all after 40 years ! I rarely if ever buy any off brand equipment and generally I've always been pleased with the longevity and performance....with a few exceptions along the way of course.

Most durable goods that we will always use, like appliances, cars, lawn mowers etc..., should certainly be made better than they are though. I've always had Toro lawn mowers (purchased at a Toro dealer) and never had a problem. Of course, like most lawnmowers, Toro has two lines. The "big box" one, and the one sold at true Toro dealers. Big difference in quality. Let's just say, you get what you pay for.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I've used Harbor Freight exactly like it sounds you do. If it's a "one and done" deal where I'm unlikely to ever use this item again, I want functional for one use and cheap. Typically though, I used my tools for years and still have mostly SK hand wrenches/tools I purchased when I was 16 and working on my first car...and I still have them all after 40 years ! I rarely if ever buy any off brand equipment and generally I've always been pleased with the longevity and performance....with a few exceptions along the way of course.

Most durable goods that we will always use, like appliances, cars, lawn mowers etc..., should certainly be made better than they are though. I've always had Toro lawn mowers (purchased at a Toro dealer) and never had a problem. Of course, like most lawnmowers, Toro has two lines. The "big box" one, and the one sold at true Toro dealers. Big difference in quality. Let's just say, you get what you pay for.
I was a Toro dealer in the 1970's and they were supposedly one of the better push mowers. I would go to the National Hardware Show in NYC and would buy 100 cheap push mowers for $25 each. Wheels would break off the Toro cast white metal housings and the cheap mowers would take a beating and still work. The Toro housings; like many of today's riding tractor spindles relied on white metal castings for the wrong job - those castings cannot take a beating. Today many brand name tractors use white metal spindles and if you hit one good rock or root; they will shatter and leave you with one over $100 repair bill. Complicating the issue is the fact that many riders do not give enough blade clearance for rocky/root filled lawns.

I am not saying that money cannot buy quality. It is just that the quality you seek has to be tailor made for your exact circumstances. Many customers simply do not know exactly what they need to get 'their' job done.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:32 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One last thing I would look at is if you really have any 'transmission' problem. Some riding tractors have little transaxle disengaging leavers sticking out the back of the tractor. It usually doesn't look like too much; just a heavy wire with a little rubber protector over the end and sticking through the rear cover. This is to disengage the transaxle so the unit can be easily pushed. There is always a chance that a mechanic did not know of this disconnect or they were out to take you for a lot of money. Of course I would also double check my drive belt to make sure it is not broken or off any pulleys. I would also want to see if the axle is secured to the wheel and not freely spinning. Transmissions (transaxles) do not go bad that easily; you might even research to see if there is any extended warranty on defective units.
This was my first thought. Someone pulled the free wheeling lever, and never pushed it back in. Many riders that have a rear bagger attachment kinda hide this this lever due to all the metal brackets needed for the weight of the bag/bags. I just can't see a transmission going bad while sitting for the winter months, unless there was a major fluid leak during the winter months. But, if that were the case one would notice a puddle of fluid under the tractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden