Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 06:55 AM

6,381 posts, read 4,218,402 times

Advertisements

I would like to plant some flowering perennials in Large pots for the summer and then plant them in the ground one fall.

What kind of soil would I use in the pots, garden soil from Lowes or Home Depot or exterior potting soil, or a combination? I would guess others have done this..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 07:26 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,103,495 times
Drainage is key, so use a good potting soil mix. Using anything else will result in soil compaction which will do harm to the plants.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Drainage is key, so use a good potting soil mix. Using anything else will result in soil compaction which will do harm to the plants.
On another note, was bought a Crape Mrytle ( will plant it on the yard in the fall) and put it in a pot on the deck and I planted it with native soil & fertilizer. Assume this is correct?

Old 04-16-2017, 12:15 PM

13,062 posts, read 18,157,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
On another note, was bought a Crape Mrytle ( will plant it on the yard in the fall) and put it in a pot on the deck and I planted it with native soil & fertilizer. Assume this is correct?
LI center nailed it. Drainage is the key component. If the soil is too light it will dry out quicker but drainage is really the key no matter what soil.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:32 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,103,495 times
Quote:
Not really. Was it a bare root tree? If not, why remove it from the pot that it was in? If it was a bare root, then put it in a pot that just covers the circumference of the roots by a smidgen, followed by what I mentioned above. And no fertilizer til it is in the ground for an entire growing season.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:38 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,987,474 times
Quote:
Crepe Myrtles are tough trees. You can abuse it and it will refuse to die. My USDA zone is similar to yours so I'll share my experience.

My first CM was ordered online. It came as bare-root in the dead of winter. I did not know what to do with it so it soaked in a bucket the entire winter. There's no way I'd go dig hole in a minus 20 F clay soil. Later in the spring I planted it but it didn't seemed to grow so like a good husband following wife's command, I pulled it the following year and put it in a plastic container so I can plant something "prettier" at the same location. The poor CM sat in that plastic for 2 years and often it was bone dry. I was convinced it was dead but left it over the winter for "just in case" I was wrong.

Well, the following spring came and little buds began to emerge out of this "dead" CM. I overcame by guilt and dug a nice hole to finally gave it a permanent home. That year it grew 4 feet, the next year another 4 feet, and now it slows down at 12-15 feet. Each summer it blooms beautifully with pink flowers. It's a "Miami" CM variety.

Enjoy your CM. Don't worry about babying it. It's a tough tree. Make sure it gets a WIDE container for its healthy root grow. The half-whiskey barrel is ideal. For Christ's sake put it in the ground by fall & do not do what I did. If fact, it will not hurt it if you plant it in the ground now.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Not really. Was it a bare root tree? If not, why remove it from the pot that it was in? If it was a bare root, then put it in a pot that just covers the circumference of the roots by a smidgen, followed by what I mentioned above. And no fertilizer til it is in the ground for an entire growing season.
I bought at Lowes in a two gallon container and I planted it in a pot that wasabout3 inches or so wider on all sides. I used a planting fertilizer with a little manure/compost and mixed it well with the native soil.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Rickcin; 04-16-2017 at 05:01 PM..

Old 04-16-2017, 05:10 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,986,154 times
Quote:
I used a planting fertilizer with a little manure/compost and mixed it well with the native soil.

I wouldn't use native soil in a pot, use potting soil instead.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I wouldn't use native soil in a pot, use potting soil instead.
OK, I will get some exterior potting soil and transplant it tomorrow.

Also, I guess it should be watered twice a week since it's in direct sun. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden