Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:11 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,273 times

Advertisements

I have this long hose (30 ft?). It is a nice, quality hose not one of those thin kinky ones or those gimmicky ones that shrink up. I can't get any good water pressure when I hook up my sprinkler to it. I'm thinking there is some sort of dead bug in there that's preventing water from flowing efficiently. Last year, I got a really good stream when I used this hose/sprinkler. Also, there are no leaks in the hose.

Any tips? Google didn't help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 10:29 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
I have this long hose (30 ft?). It is a nice, quality hose not one of those thin kinky ones or those gimmicky ones that shrink up. I can't get any good water pressure when I hook up my sprinkler to it. I'm thinking there is some sort of dead bug in there that's preventing water from flowing efficiently. Last year, I got a really good stream when I used this hose/sprinkler. Also, there are no leaks in the hose.

If you can drop something small through it, perhaps a ball bearing and see if it comes out the other end that might work. I know when my central vac (which is long, but not as long as your hose) is plugged, I drop a nickel in it to see if it comes out. If it does, no obstruction. If it doesn't, I hook another vac (my shop vac) up to it and suck whatever is in there out (usually pet hair). I suggested a ball bearing because I can't think of anything (except maybe a dime) that would go through without getting stuck itself! Maybe a metal 'nut' would work also. Something small, but heavy/metal.

Also, it may be the actual sprinkler. Found this (read toward the end):

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/06/19/ny...den-hoses.html

Last edited by tangelag; 07-13-2017 at 10:50 PM..

Old 07-14-2017, 05:23 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
hold the open end of the hose up to your face while staring into the hole and have someone turn on the water at the other end, should work fine

Old 07-14-2017, 05:34 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
My hose was blocked the first time I used it this spring but it was actually the sprinkler - it has a little screen on it that was getting blocked by debris coming from the hose. Obviously the hose worked fine when the sprinkler wasn't attached and all was good when I cleaned out the sprinkler screen. But you've probably already checked that out....

Old 07-14-2017, 07:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
My hose was blocked the first time I used it this spring but it was actually the sprinkler - it has a little screen on it that was getting blocked by debris coming from the hose. Obviously the hose worked fine when the sprinkler wasn't attached and all was good when I cleaned out the sprinkler screen. But you've probably already checked that out....
Yes, if the hose is fine without the sprinkler, it's the sprinkler that has some blockage in it. Either the screen or even a buildup of minerals on the inside, reducing the size of the holes.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:46 AM

83,501 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post

Plumbers snake. Might cost you a little bit but nice to have around to unblock some drains as well..

RIDGID 1/4 in. x 30 ft. Replacement Cable-21338 - The Home Depot

Old 07-14-2017, 11:57 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
If you can get good pressure without the sprinkler but you can't get good pressure when you hook up the sprinkler then it's the sprinkler that has a problem, not the hose.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:38 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Well a fish tape could help test for clogs. Good idea is ...anytime you've left an end of your hose open for an extended time hook your hose up to water supply and turn it on before installing a sprinkler or nozzle on the other end.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:19 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
Maybe try a air compressor. Blast some air in on one end. Hopefully whatever is blocking will come out, hopefully not get lodged in tighter. Maybe whatever is blocking needs a good soak. Pour some Dawn dish soap in add a little water and let sit... Lately Dawn for some reason has been my go to if all else fails.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:21 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,919 times
Just buy a new hunk of hose. They don't cost so much that you want to waste a day trying to diagnose. But first, as others have said, see if the blockage is the sprinkler. Some have a screen at the hose connection, but many don't. The nozzles just get clogged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden