Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:51 PM

774 posts, read 906,671 times

Advertisements

This is going to be candid but I have no other way.

I'm a 63 yo male, my bowels have been impacted since last January. I start a stool, get something out then the inflammation and narrowness of my rectum blocks off the rest of the waste as it overruns a very narrow opening so I have to take whatever I can out by hand.

Its getting worse now.

I've been to the ER, to five private Gastroentrologists. They USUALLY feel the rectum (last one didn't), tell me there's no problem, tell me I have constipation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ridiculous) and prescribe me enemas or other laxatives.

One doctor last February gave me surgery for hemorrhoids, I had thought that was my problem, then a few weeks later gave me a colonoscopy but I awoke an hour after the procedure, found my rectum wasn't lubricated, got a one page report WITHOUT pictures.

That doctor had claimed that a colonoscopy would find my blockage if I had any but nothing changed.

What do I do? How do I get help?

Old 04-14-2014, 11:40 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Read this website, it may fit your condition. Also you should ask your doctor who performed the colonoscopy for a color picture. You paid for it.
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) Treatment, Causes, Symptoms, Diet, and Surgery - MedicineNet

Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Might want to try a proctologist.

Also I will be blunt here as well with a suggestion you may find offensive - but just throwing ideas out there.... Anyway "older gay men" who are on the "receiving side of things" have larger "openings" down there, due to the rectum being "expanded" on a regular basis...

Some women may have a similar occurrence after many years of married life, and I don't know if they would be very talkative about such things? But perhaps the larger opening makes things flow out a little easier?

With that said, note it is possible for that opening to be more relaxed or larger. Perhaps there is some sort of medical instrument which can open up or expand that opening? Also note there are "adult toys" which are designed for such things and therefore should be able to be cleaned and be sanitary for each use...

BUT... Before doing anything such as the above, do check with a doctor and float the idea around. Note some people with certain medical conditions can easily have their intestines "punctured", and then get peritonitis. So DO get expert advice about this before doing anything.

Another thing can be diet. Do you eat a lot of cheese? Maybe changing your diet can help - might want to see a nutritionist.

I know that is not fun to be forced to change your diet - to be forced to not eat what you like. (I recently had to myself - they took away all the "good stuff"!) Anyway sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Last edited by Billy_J; 04-15-2014 at 10:04 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Read this website, it may fit your condition. Also you should ask your doctor who performed the colonoscopy for a color picture. You paid for it.
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) Treatment, Causes, Symptoms, Diet, and Surgery - MedicineNet
Thank you for the link.

I ought to send it to the gastro doctors who "treated" me.

They acted like Diverticulitis didn't exist or they wouldn't test me for it.

The doctor never did a colonoscopy (found out later that my insurance refused to ok his second procedure) but I can't legally prove it.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I've read a lot of these sites

Bowel Obstruction Guide: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options

My problem is in getting a doctor to take me seriously.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:01 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
It sounds like you are constipated, but more so that your stools are too large and hard to expel. Try something like Miralax that adds moisture to the stools, and also drink a lot of water each day.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
It sounds like you are constipated, but more so that your stools are too large and hard to expel. Try something like Miralax that adds moisture to the stools, and also drink a lot of water each day.
Tried it.

That's not what my problem is. Stools come out then clog or block my small opening then mostly go back.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:25 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Strange that no one has asked what you eat so I will.

What do you eat on a daily basis? What is eaten as routine?

It isn't always the most complicated, sometimes it is the simple things.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Strange that no one has asked what you eat so I will.

What do you eat on a daily basis? What is eaten as routine?

It isn't always the most complicated, sometimes it is the simple things.
For the last three months, a lot of Yogurt, sugar free Jello, some Turkey.

Before then, a lot of hot, spicy, tasty foods.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:55 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
For the last three months, a lot of Yogurt, sugar free Jello, some Turkey.

Before then, a lot of hot, spicy, tasty foods.
You need to add some veggies to the mix, or some other source of fiber. My husband refuses to eat any vegetables and his doctor has told him to take 4 Metamucil capsules twice a day and to try harder to eat vegetables.

They make yogurt with fiber added. If you're eating your turkey on white bread, you can get white whole grain bread that has 3 or 4 grams of fiber depending on the brand.

You could also try a stool softener, you might have to take it for few days in a row before you notice a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness