Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 06:50 PM

7,494 posts, read 7,179,877 times

Advertisements

Looking to put down an application WeedStop this weekend along with an application of starter fertilizer.

Looking to have the lawn aerated by the end of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 04:06 AM

This is the weekend.

Aerate and fertilize.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:48 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,216,807 times
I have been reading up on pre-emergent treatment in the fall. WeedStop is what I will most likely buy for my bermuda grass. From what I have read it says to put down when I get 4 days of low temperatures between 55 and 60. Is this correct?

Also would I put this down before or after I put down some Winterguard fertilizer? I was going to put it down the first of October and then again the first of December.

I just bought a new zero turn mower and being I have my push mower set up for mulching should I get the mulching blades for it?

Old 08-23-2022, 11:55 AM

I would be sure to time your application of weed stop by soil temperature, not the air temperature.

You can put down weed stop the same day as WinterGuard or different times. Whatever works best.

For all is when nearly all the nitrogen should be put down on a lawn. So I typically do numerous applications starting later this month going all the way into early December with about 5 weeks apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have been reading up on pre-emergent treatment in the fall. WeedStop is what I will most likely buy for my bermuda grass. From what I have read it says to put down when I get 4 days of low temperatures between 55 and 60. Is this correct?

Also would I put this down before or after I put down some Winterguard fertilizer? I was going to put it down the first of October and then again the first of December.

I just bought a new zero turn mower and being I have my push mower set up for mulching should I get the mulching blades for it?

Old 08-26-2022, 07:08 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
Has anyone tried liquid aeration as opposed to core aeration?

It's time to dethatch and aerate my lawn, but I don't want to rent an aerator from Home Depot. I don't have a ramp to push the aerator on to my truck bed, and I can't pick it up myself. It's just too heavy. Another factor against renting is that I have a lumpy lawn. The cores would add to its lumpiness.

With respect to the lumpiness, how can I level the lawn? In the past, I've used sand mixed with top soil/compost and peat moss. My preference is a sand/top soil mix, but the top soil available at the big box stores are generally lumpy with mulch and wood added to it.

Old 08-28-2022, 05:48 AM

Better than nothing, but would still go with core aeration.

Generally you can always find helpers looking for some hourly work.

Last year Dethatched mine and it was worth paying a guy $100 to rake up all the thatch on my half acre lot after I Dethatched it.

Just paid a guy $200 to core aerate mine, went back and forth over it 4-5 times. ;ok:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post

It's time to dethatch and aerate my lawn, but I don't want to rent an aerator from Home Depot. I don't have a ramp to push the aerator on to my truck bed, and I can't pick it up myself. It's just too heavy. Another factor against renting is that I have a lumpy lawn. The cores would add to its lumpiness.

With respect to the lumpiness, how can I level the lawn? In the past, I've used sand mixed with top soil/compost and peat moss. My preference is a sand/top soil mix, but the top soil available at the big box stores are generally lumpy with mulch and wood added to it.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Better than nothing, but would still go with core aeration.

Generally you can always find helpers looking for some hourly work.

Last year Dethatched mine and it was worth paying a guy $100 to rake up all the thatch on my half acre lot after I Dethatched it.

Just paid a guy $200 to core aerate mine, went back and forth over it 4-5 times. ;ok:
If I did a core aeration I would have to pay someone to pick up all the rocks that popped out. Each time when I get ready to mow I have to walk around to look for rocks that has popped out since the last time I mowed.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post

What brand are you looking at? This may be a good option for a section of my yard that grass does not grow as well as the other sections.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:25 AM

I ordered some liquid aeration from Amazon. Will I need to put this down just prior to the fall weedstop application and fertilizing? I will be using this only in the packed (not filled) areas of my yard. Where fill was brought in the bermuda is growing very good.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:04 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
What brand are you looking at? This may be a good option for a section of my yard that grass does not grow as well as the other sections.
In a prior year, I used a product called "Revive." But that was in late June, when my backyard lawn began to die. It's supposed to make your lawn dark green and lush, which it did do. The other advertised benefits include loosening up the soil, allowing water and other nutrients to reach the grass roots. I'm not so sure it accomplished that. After one month, I had to reapply the product. I also tried clay breaker without much success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden