Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:54 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times

Advertisements

Be sure whatever you do don't allow the seed to dry out during germination.

In addition whether Spring or Fall especially around seedng time never use a weed andfeed product such as Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I mowed it Friday afternoon, as we were scheduled to rain all weekend. After mowing, I fertilized it with the Scott's (32-0-4) I posted above. The rain was a slow and steady one all day Saturday and Sunday, and we got over 1 inch.

My grass filled in better on the hydroseeded section (about 3,000sq ft), and even the hand-seeded section next to it (1,000 sq ft) I just started a week ago, greened up and came up about another 1 inch or more just this weekend! It looks so good compared to other parts of the lawn, I wish now I had been able to afford to do even more of the lawn this way. There's quite a few other sections that are just grass coming up in black sand, and when it's dry, they die out very quickly.

There's always next year, and I learned a lot just doing this. The previous owners didn't do anything, and allowed most of the lawn to just die off. When we moved in, the FIRST thing I did was removed 27 trailer-loads (Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer with sides) of old oak and maple leaves that had been left over the years!

The lot is 1/2 acre and is all grass except for the house and driveway.

I learned a lot just reading this and the other thread on lawn care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 04:55 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
I mowed it Friday afternoon, as we were scheduled to rain all weekend. After mowing, I fertilized it with the Scott's (32-0-4) I posted above. The rain was a slow and steady one all day Saturday and Sunday, and we got over 1 inch.

Nice to hear you used the Scotts stuff. I've had good success with it.. I noticed grass grows better with rains than with city water.

My fall stuff is done... now I just wait and watch...

Alan from Florida (Lawn Care Nut) has great tips on Fall lawn care.. Check out the journal he has, that's an awesome idea. I do it for the garden but didn't think for the lawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tG1zo5LUCk

Old 10-19-2017, 03:52 PM

It takes a good 2 years to establish a solid lawn that dominates your neighborhood.

Be sure to stick with straight fertilizer and do not use any weed and feed ever is my recommendation as other experts will also advise, especially on freshly seeded and germinating grass.

Quote:

My grass filled in better on the hydroseeded section (about 3,000sq ft), and even the hand-seeded section next to it (1,000 sq ft) I just started a week ago, greened up and came up about another 1 inch or more just this weekend! It looks so good compared to other parts of the lawn, I wish now I had been able to afford to do even more of the lawn this way. There's quite a few other sections that are just grass coming up in black sand, and when it's dry, they die out very quickly.

There's always next year, and I learned a lot just doing this. The previous owners didn't do anything, and allowed most of the lawn to just die off. When we moved in, the FIRST thing I did was removed 27 trailer-loads (Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer with sides) of old oak and maple leaves that had been left over the years!

The lot is 1/2 acre and is all grass except for the house and driveway.

I learned a lot just reading this and the other thread on lawn care.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:55 PM

https://youtu.be/-MHrLB20ISc

Old 10-29-2017, 07:28 AM

Saw this and thought you might enjoy it.

Don’t forget to get that late fall fertilizing down even well after top growth stops....Feed the roots.

Home Depot and Scott's VS Millennial

https://youtu.be/EuD7cy8TE0Q

Quote:
My yard was Hydroseeded. It has high-phosphorus fertilizer mixed in it from the start for good rooting. The Scott's fertilizer is high-nitrogen. Since it's new seedlings, I can NOT use a weed killer right now.

I have not used the Scotts as of yet, as the first mowing is still a few days off and it's been raining off and on. Probably by Monday I will have mowed it, and then I'll use the Scotts.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:38 PM

Hard to believe Fall is coming to an end. Grass cuttings may be slowing down, but be sure to keep those leaves removed from the lawn.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:05 PM

Hard to believe, last week in November and still cutting the lawn....by now all the hard work back in late August is reflected in the lawn...no weeds, no bare patches, thick green lawn that will provide for early spring green up.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:17 AM

It is that time of the year again.

Summer heat will soon be subsiding and the perfect opportunity to get your lawn back in shape.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:12 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
I have new Bermuda sod. I think I can throw down some Milogranite. That's it. Landscapers are installing some Green Arboirviates, Hollies, and Roses. I'm new to Bermuda coming from Zone 6a to 7b.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:21 AM

Definitely can throw down Milorganite.

Scott's Starter Fertilizer is now marked down for a 14,000 sq ft bag from $52 to $39. Stock up while you can.

Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food - Starter Food for New Grass, 14,000-sq ft (Lawn Fertilizer for Newly Planted Grass) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FOMY10O

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I have new Bermuda sod. I think I can throw down some Milogranite. That's it. Landscapers are installing some Green Arboirviates, Hollies, and Roses. I'm new to Bermuda coming from Zone 6a to 7b.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden