Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 07:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I really want to enjoy the aroma indoors. If I use a growing light and humidifier, can I grow it indoors year round?
You can try, but will be disappointed. By May when mine goes out it has dropped leaves, others are brittle and drying out. Like most trees they need to be outside when not below freezing. If you provide enough humidity for it you risk mold and other issues in the house. They also need air movement, so you would want to run a small fan several hours a day. My suggestion is to bring it in for a few days to enjoy the aroma when in bloom, and hand pollinate. Of course, if the temperatures outside get too cold in your winters bring it in then too. I have had mine 5 years now and it almost always blossoms inside, though last year it started in the fall while still in the patio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 10:28 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I live in zone 8, so there were only a few months when it was too cold. I have some nice big garage windows, so they were moved in there.

OP will probably not have good luck inside unless she has optimal light.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, I have grown both lemon and lime (and fig) under grow lights indoors full time. They produce fruit just fine and the lemon tree smells amazing when it is blooming.
How do you hand pollinate?

Old 04-05-2018, 12:16 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
I don't. One lemon tree, one lime tree, 6 fig trees. I never hand pollinated and still got fruit.

The two citrus trees were touching, but I doubt that you can pollinate a lemon tree with lime pollen.

All the fruit was first rate, except the figs were small.

Potted fig trees are extremely fussy about water. Potted citrus needs frequent pinching back.

By the time you have a pot big enough for a dwarf citrus, it is rather heavy to be moving it around. I use gritty mix for my most valuable potted plants, and that is really heavy. 10-15 gallons of that requires some serious muscle to move it around.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:22 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
I ordered a lemon tree. I would like to keep it indoors. After reading a few articles, it seems that is not the best option to produce flowers and fruit. I have a growing light and humidifier for winter conditions.

I want to keep it indoors so I don't have to worry about bringing it in and out when it gets cold as well as bugs. Has anyone grown citrus trees indoors with success? If so, any tips?
I had a lemon tree. It thrives better outside. Just needs that magical rain and real sunshine with natural air flow and warmth.

but there's no better way to know than to experience it. I say go for it but if you see it not doing well, then you might want to just bring it in and out.

I have to say, I miss it...but I learned my lesson. Anything that has to come in and out for the seasons is not worth it. I've had my share of Tropical stuff and they just don't do well.

Here are a couple pics of my lemon Tree from 2012. Each time I brought it in for the winter it would drop its leaves but then regrow come Spring and Summer outside. Until 2014 it just never came back.

Spoiler

Notice the 1st pic was in my Dining Room, I had it inside but on November 11th it went into the warm 60s so I brought it outside for fresh air then brought it back in for the winter after this day

Old 04-05-2018, 05:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
Quote:
You can get some without hand pollinating because the pollen is plentiful and may land on another blossom just on it’s own. My crop this year was over 30 on a small tree and I doubt there would be anywhere near that many without my pollinating. I just use a soft artists brush, and go from flower to flower transferring pollen just as a bee does. I have a lot of practice, because I also have to do it for my cucumbers and zucchini in the greenhouse.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:04 AM

My lemon tree has been inside under a growing light all season. I have my mandarin tree outside but moved it inside last week because of the cold temps.

Both are dropping leaves. The leaves stay green. I lose about 2-4 leaves a day. I fertilized, Epsom and water. I'm only finding the leaves yellow then drop on google. Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 10-03-2018, 07:48 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
It is common for trees to drop leaves when they are moved. Any evergreen tree, such as citrus will lose old leaves a few at a time over the seasons.

Just give it time, and don’t over water. I’ve heard you shouldn’t fertilize a stressed plant, so just let them be for awhile.

I used to have an orange tree that got moved into a sunny garage in the winter. During this time, it didn’t grow, but just maintained. They need little water at this time. When it went back outside (March) I would water and fertilize and it started growing like crazy.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is common for trees to drop leaves when they are moved. Any evergreen tree, such as citrus will lose old leaves a few at a time over the seasons.

Just give it time, and don’t over water. I’ve heard you shouldn’t fertilize a stressed plant, so just let them be for awhile.

I used to have an orange tree that got moved into a sunny garage in the winter. During this time, it didn’t grow, but just maintained. They need little water at this time. When it went back outside (March) I would water and fertilize and it started growing like crazy.
Thanks!

Old 10-08-2018, 07:36 AM

I brought my Meyer Lemon in this weekend. There were about 6-8 yellow leaves that I pulled off. It currently has 5 green lemons the size of walnuts on it. Though it was outside when in blossom, only a few got pollinated because it rained the whole time the blossoms were on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden