Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 01:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times

Advertisements

What is the best liquid fertilizer for tomatoes in pots? I don't think I am using the right stuff. They are making tomatoes but so slowly. I think they must need some different vitamins !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 01:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
You want something with a higher third NPK number (the K) such as alfalfa meal or kelp meal. I use a product from a local producer, Hendrikus Organics, which has other benefits and is not cheap, but $12 bag last all season.

https://www.hendrikusorganics.com/or...nobloom-5-2-4/

Old 06-17-2018, 05:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
What I have read (on line) is that a higher second number is important. Higher at least than the first number. I have been using 7-4-4 from the nursery. This is a general feeder so I need to switch to something else.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:40 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I always used Miracle Gro for Tomatoes. 10-10-10 is a good ratio of nutrients. Or something with the middle number biggest (that's phosphorus.) Tomatoes are really heavy feeders and when they start making flowers, you need to start fertilizing them. Not too much so as not to "burn" them, but follow the directions on the package.

Miracle Gro is 18-18-21. That's highest in potassium. It has always worked really well. This year I had run out of Miracle Gro and since I only have one tomato plant, I simply cut up a banana peel and stuck it into the soil. That should rot and provide some potassium until I can get some Miracle Gro.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I always used Miracle Gro for Tomatoes. 10-10-10 is a good ratio of nutrients. Or something with the middle number biggest (that's phosphorus.) Tomatoes are really heavy feeders and when they start making flowers, you need to start fertilizing them. Not too much so as not to "burn" them, but follow the directions on the package.

Miracle Gro is 18-18-21. That's highest in potassium. It has always worked really well. This year I had run out of Miracle Gro and since I only have one tomato plant, I simply cut up a banana peel and stuck it into the soil. That should rot and provide some potassium until I can get some Miracle Gro.
Me, too. I just fertilized again today with Miracle Gro Tomato for my tomatoes and peppers - works for both. I also used the generic Miracle Gro for all plants on my other plants today. 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water, once a week.

I had set up a gravity feed watering system at a community garden where I used to live, where I had a bucket of water set above the raised bed, and I put Miracle Gro in the bucket, which then had irrigation tubes to drip feed the raised bed - worked great.

Some will disparage Miracle Gro as not religiously organic, but it's basically the same thing as taking a man-made vitamin. It doesn't hurt insects and has no poison, etc. It's just man-made or collected, etc., minerals, etc. So, it doesn't harm the environment or your food.

Great stuff for the price. I also use organic soil, but the fertilizer in the organic stuff doesn't last forever. So, I augment with Miracle Gro feeding once a week and get great results.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:19 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
OP try Miracle-Gro for tomatoes. 18-18-21 Follow the directions you'll be happy.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Miracle-Gro...iABEgLHffD_BwE

Or if you want to experiment and grow a super abundance of tomatoes then try Miracle-Gro Bloom Booster 15-30-15. It's what many pros use.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Miracle-Gro...iABEgLc_fD_BwE

Old 06-25-2018, 05:21 PM

187 posts, read 128,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

my tomato plants are still in pots, growing slowly and still haven't flowered...can i cut up small pieces of banana peel and put them in the pots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden