Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 07:50 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,092,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
LOL...funny.

Are the two potted ones Patio tomatoes? Mine were like that until I fed them then they sprang to life.

Enjoy your volunteer tomatoes!
Yes. This is my first attempt at growing. I haven't yet ventured into the world of plant food. Maybe next year.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 09:22 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Yes. This is my first attempt at growing. I haven't yet ventured into the world of plant food. Maybe next year.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Miracle Gro for Tomatoes. It works like magic and a box lasts years.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:28 AM

175 posts, read 366,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Wow, that's an impressive list! I haven't heard of many of them. Where do you find these? Did you plant as seeds or did you buy the seedlings?
I've gotten many from other tomato growers, some from tomatoes I bought from the farmers market and saved seeds from, some from seed companies. I grow them all from seed, except I did buy black cherry as a seedling from walmart. This year I grew a bunch extra to see if I could sell them to local people. I grew 70 to sell, advertised on a facebook buy sell trade group, set up a time to sell them and sold out in 2 hours. I'm going to grow a lot more next year!

Old 07-31-2018, 03:36 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
"Wow, that's an impressive list! I haven't heard of many of them. Where do you find these?"

Tomatofest

Tomato Growers Supply

Totally Tomatoes

Baker Creek

Seed Savers Exchange

more here.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-31-2018, 04:47 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yip812 View Post
I've gotten many from other tomato growers, some from tomatoes I bought from the farmers market and saved seeds from, some from seed companies. I grow them all from seed, except I did buy black cherry as a seedling from walmart. This year I grew a bunch extra to see if I could sell them to local people. I grew 70 to sell, advertised on a facebook buy sell trade group, set up a time to sell them and sold out in 2 hours. I'm going to grow a lot more next year!

How do you save the seeds? Do you just cut the tomato in half and scoop out seeds and let them set to dry out, or is there a different process?

Old 07-31-2018, 05:58 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
How do you save the seeds? Do you just cut the tomato in half and scoop out seeds and let them set to dry out, or is there a different process?
That's about how I did it. I think I may have set them to dry on paper towels. Then I put them into envelopes, label them and stored them in the fridge. It worked for Black Cherry.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:04 AM

7,239 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's about how I did it. I think I may have set them to dry on paper towels. Then I put them into envelopes, label them and stored them in the fridge. It worked for Black Cherry.

I've done it that way and then I've also done it the way you're "supposed to"-- scoop out the seeds and placenta ( the goo the seeds are stuck in) and let them soak in a shallow dish of water for a few days until they develop a little moldy scum. Rinse and then set on paper towels to dry. No need to store in fridge. It may be my imagination, but I might get a little better germination rate that way (99.9% vs 95% )

We had a cool, rainy spring here and now a dry summer. My tomatoes look pretty scrawny and sparse this year-- most unusual. Anybody else having this problem?

Old 07-31-2018, 10:02 AM

175 posts, read 366,278 times
Yeah, that's pretty much how you're supposed to do it (because the fermentation process kills any diseases and pathogens that might be passed along to the next generation), but I do it "wrong" too. I can't stand the idea of little cups of moldy goo everywhere. I scoop out the seeds onto a paper coffee filter (the folded cone ones), let it dry, fold it up for next year. Usually, you can pick them off the paper pretty easily, to plant, but you can also cut the seeds apart and plant with the paper still stuck.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:00 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,131 times
I love these gardening forums!

I have several tomato plants as well growing in my garden but can't remember what kind there all are. LOL
I have two cherry tomato plants and one grape tomato. They are producing ripe ones every day and I really love it. However, the regular tomato plants have many buds but hardly any tomatoes! I also have been battling the black spots on the leaves of all of my tomato plants. That is some kind of fungus isn't it? I had some spray for it from end of last season and I sprayed them all a few weeks ago but it didn't seem to help. I but off the affected branches/leaves asap and throw them away far from the plants themselves. Getting frustrated with that! Last year I forgot to rotate my tomato plants and planted them in the same spot and hardly had any tomatoes. This year they are in the total opposite end of the garden. My garden is pretty big. Any tips on getting a better result for tomatoes next year?
Thanks everyone

Old 07-31-2018, 12:27 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I love these gardening forums!

I have several tomato plants as well growing in my garden but can't remember what kind there all are. LOL
I have two cherry tomato plants and one grape tomato. They are producing ripe ones every day and I really love it. However, the regular tomato plants have many buds but hardly any tomatoes! I also have been battling the black spots on the leaves of all of my tomato plants. That is some kind of fungus isn't it? I had some spray for it from end of last season and I sprayed them all a few weeks ago but it didn't seem to help. I but off the affected branches/leaves asap and throw them away far from the plants themselves. Getting frustrated with that! Last year I forgot to rotate my tomato plants and planted them in the same spot and hardly had any tomatoes. This year they are in the total opposite end of the garden. My garden is pretty big. Any tips on getting a better result for tomatoes next year?
Thanks everyone

My one large heirloom tomato plant is very slow to set fruit and to ripen...I don't expect tomatoes until Sept., as I was late planting. So it might be a late variety you have...

Good to spray for fungus, I'd guess that's the black...have you had lots of rain this summer?
Or has it been very hot? That could be why no fruit is setting...

Have you fertilized your tomatoes? I bought Miracle Gro for vegetables...think they also make some just for tomatoes, as all vegetable requirements are not the same. Some plants are heavy feeders...

Plenty of sun, watch for bugs and caterpillars, spray for fungus, buy disease resistant plants if you can...
my readings said tomatoes need calcium which is not in all vegetable fertilizers so look for one with calcium and no chlorine (learned that from Nomad). I had good luck last year with an organic fertilizer that did have calcium.

Others will chime in, who know more than I....

Love the cherry tomatoes, fun to pick them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden