Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 06:58 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,260,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Something to consider for those that use soy products. A roundup ready soybean plant was developed that has been genetically modified to be resistant to herbicides, and can live through being saturated with roundup yet not die while the weeds perish. Unless organic, most of our soybeans are roundup ready.

Knowing that plants absorb things through their leaves, and every part of the plant means that the plant would transport the roundup throughout itself, even to the soybeans themselves. It just doesn't kill it. This is how it kills non roundup ready plants as it goes to the roots. But does the herbicide become part of the food after being absorbed by the plant? What does that possibly do to us when we eat those soybeans? Are we being slowly poisoned, although the company says it is "harmless"?

"Nevertheless, there are concerns about how much glyphosate we might be eating. Some crops have been genetically modified to be tolerant to glyphosate and therefore are sprayed to eliminate weeds growing in their midst. “And because of that, these crops . . . accumulate glyphosate in very high concentrations inside the plants,” Félix Carvalho, a toxicologist from Portugal’s University of Porto and secretary general of the European toxicologist organization Eurotox, writes to The Scientist in an email. “There is evidence that we are being exposed to increasing doses of glyphosate and other compounds of the herbicide formulation over the years. Such exposure is potentially deleterious.”

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...-roundup-30308
---------------------------------------------------------------
Not long after round up ready products became available, natural selection brought on weeds that were resistant to round up, so some chemical company (prob monsanto) came up with dicamba which was shown to drift in runoff water and kill neighboring crops.

I always worry, when I see planes spraying stuff, because that's how you would apply round up on larger round up ready fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 07:17 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,586,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Not long after round up ready products became available, natural selection brought on weeds that were resistant to round up, so some chemical company (prob monsanto) came up with dicamba which was shown to drift in runoff water and kill neighboring crops.

I always worry, when I see planes spraying stuff, because that's how you would apply round up on larger round up ready fields.
That was pretty much how I grew up - there were planes spraying DDT over everything and Fogger Trucks that drove through residential neighborhoods spraying insecticide and God knows what else.

Kids used to run after the trucks, and get the stuff all over themselves. They acted like it was the ice cream man.

Other things work with weeds. The mixture I suggested really works well. My thought is that I have had enough exposure to pesticides, and weed killers in my life. Why not play it safe?

Old 08-13-2018, 07:42 PM

52,804 posts, read 34,700,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
dicamba was around before roundup/glyphosate was ever invented.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:36 PM

643 posts, read 331,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Yup, I used Banvel in the 70's.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:45 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,587,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
That doesn't make it any safer.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:12 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,587,314 times
A number of years ago in an allergy forum tolerance to allergies was explained like this. (And this can be transposed to toxin buildup as well, imho) Many people can develop allergies at any time of their lives to things they were able to tolerate at one time. Our bodies are like a bucket that slowly fills up with water one drop at a time. Some bodies are better able to filter out, and remove toxins/allergens than others. But sooner, or later that bucket can fill up, and overflow. I know this is over simplified, but you get the general idea.

Remember that some toxins are fat soluble, and are stored in our body fat where they build up over time, and reach "critical mass", to borrow a term from nuclear chain reactions. Or a really dirty kitty litter box, lol.

Also, there are more health problems out there that could be negatively impacted by these toxins in addition to cancer that we haven't realized yet. Our bodies are infinitely complex. Add things into our systems that weren't meant to be there, ever, creates a domino effect of problems that we don't really understand. We aren't that intelligent.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:01 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,818,226 times
Quote:
No it certainly doesnt and isnt even an arguement on this horrible stuff... its being taken off the shelves in the UK as far as Ive read.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:10 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,818,226 times
Quote:
No it certainly doesnt and isnt even an arguement on this horrible stuff... its being taken off the shelves in the UK as far as Ive read. what makes me angry is the government always need proof.. before they make a move.... do they make so much money from selling stuff that can kill us........ surely they have scientists who know exactly whats in this toxic dangerous stuff.. and should never ever been on shelves.

Last edited by dizzybint; 08-14-2018 at 02:25 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 10:07 AM

78,664 posts, read 60,852,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
He was exposed to Roundup a lot but not "almost every day for many years."

Some quotes I have seen:
Given the guys job, I would suspect he was exposed to all kinds of chemicals in addition to round-up.

Not to mention that it's not the companies fault that he got literally bathed in the stuff by applying it in high winds and equipment failures.

It's also not going to be that hard to pack a jury in San Francisco with people that have strong "organic" leanings etc.

All that said, maybe it does cause cancer but I'm familiar enough with lawsuits and so forth that until I see a really solid study with essentially conclusive proof I'm going to be a little dubious.

Last edited by Mathguy; 08-14-2018 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 10:55 AM

3,157 posts, read 2,275,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Fortunately, glyphosate is not as toxic as table salt, and breaks down rather than being eternal like salt.
You said it Larry. There was a reason why invading armies in the Old Testament day’s would sow their enemies fields with salt. Once that was done, they could kiss any chance of growing a crop goodbye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden