Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:48 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
i use it on poison ivy, as it's the only thing that works, but i pull or dig up just about everything else. Occasionally, something really stubborn or big.
No it's not. When we bought a new house when I was a kid, the fence around the back yard was absolutely overgrown with poison ivy, to which I am deathly allergic (I once got poison ivy IN THE DEAD OF WINTER just from touching a wall it had been growing on the previous summer).

Fortunately my dad was ALMOST immune to the stuff. So he could pull all the vegetation and dispose of it without a huge risk, but that left the roots.

I had never boiled so much water in my life, before or since. He dug a trench along the main rootlines and killed it all with boiling water.

The one thing I would use it on, it won't kill. Trumpet vine will drink it by the gallon, laugh at you, and then get on with the business of pulling your house down anyway.

We xeriscape here a lot, but to too many people that means gravel and black plastic, which soon sprouts weeds because all that is, is a nice place for the desert sands to rest and the weeds just sprout in the gravel ON TOP of the black plastic/weed block.

So they use roundup all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 02:51 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
i use it on poison ivy, as it's the only thing that works, but i pull or dig up just about everything else. Occassionly, something really stubborn or big.
I've never used Roundup. I own a half acre of woods behind my house and poison ivy pops up every year. I use whatever weed killer I'm using on my grass and it kills the poison ivy. I've sprayed a couple of times this year.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:25 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,574,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
The one thing I would use it on, it won't kill. Trumpet vine will drink it by the gallon, laugh at you, and then get on with the business of pulling your house down anyway.
Cut the Trumpet Vine back to ground level every spring. It won't grow back enough in one season to do any damage. It is a wonderful vine for hummingbirds, they adore it. You can then train it up lattice instead of having it grow up your house. It will then provide wonderful shade cooling the house in summer.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Given the guys job, I would suspect he was exposed to all kinds of chemicals in addition to round-up.

Not to mention that it's not the companies fault that he got literally bathed in the stuff by applying it in high winds and equipment failures.

It's also not going to be that hard to pack a jury in San Francisco with people that have strong "organic" leanings etc.

All that said, maybe it does cause cancer but I'm familiar enough with lawsuits and so forth that until I see a really solid study with essentially conclusive proof I'm going to be a little dubious.
I have to wonder if anyone on that jury would even know how to operate a pump up sprayer.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:41 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have to wonder if anyone on that jury would even know how to operate a pump up sprayer.
Does it take that to sit on a jury... or just be fair and honest.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:20 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Its not required, but it helps if the juror is at least familiar with the product, what it’s used for, and how it should properly be used.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Its not required, but it helps if the juror is at least familiar with the product, what it’s used for, and how it should properly be used.
I would imagine all that would be explained during the case..

Old 08-15-2018, 07:58 AM

643 posts, read 329,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
It also takes people who don't already have a preconceived notion that RoundUp causes cancer.
I'll bet the majority of San Francisco residents firmly believe it does along with most posters posting here.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
It also takes people who don't already have a preconceived notion that RoundUp causes cancer.
I'll bet the majority of San Francisco residents firmly believe it does along with most posters posting here.
Do you think its safe for the public to use ...

Old 08-15-2018, 06:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
I was reading USAToday and found this scary information:

A number of popular breakfast foods, including cereals, granola bars and instant oats, were tested and found to contain potentially dangerous amounts of cancer-linked glyphosate, the main ingredient in weed killer.

The Environmental Working Group (EWG), an environmental advocacy organization that conducted the study, said Wednesday that glyphosate was found in all but five of 29 oat-based foods that were tested.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ler/999167002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden