Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 05:15 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times

Advertisements

I unfortunately have St. Augustine grass in the Houston area. I have an area between the road and the sidewalk that refuses to stay alive. I water it, fertilize it, put down bug killer, fungicide - basically all the stuff you're supposed to do.

Is it possible the soil could be bad? At this point I have no idea where to go to figure out how to fix this.
Attached Thumbnails
What is wrong with my lawn-20181004_172631.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 10:53 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
This website should answer all your questions, solve your problem...

https://txmg.org/mclennan/2011/03/21...e-grass-lawns/

Old 10-07-2018, 10:39 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Thank you

Old 10-08-2018, 05:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I unfortunately have St. Augustine grass in the Houston area. I have an area between the road and the sidewalk that refuses to stay alive. I water it, fertilize it, put down bug killer, fungicide - basically all the stuff you're supposed to do.

Is it possible the soil could be bad? At this point I have no idea where to go to figure out how to fix this.
I have no idea but I would do anything to have ST Augustine grass. we never had any grass that was as easy to take care of and keep looking pretty from mid spring until early winter or certainly late fall. It is just to cool here in NWA so we had our entire front yard turned into a rock yard last week. Now we have to decide on a couple of year round plants that we can put with the rocks to make it look a little less blaw!!! We did have the rock guys leave a couple of small ares rockless. Now, is rockless a word, I don't know?

Old 10-09-2018, 05:28 AM

74 posts, read 50,880 times
Hi wit-nit,
I also have the same query.
Thanks for sharing the link.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:29 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
Between the road and the sidewalk. Do you need a dog deterrent?

Old 10-09-2018, 12:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post

Between the road and the sidewalk. Do you need a dog deterrent?

I was wondering the same thing, but I don't think that is from dogs doing their business on it. It's too widespread and even, not patchy. When the picture is magnified I can see obvious black spots on all the dead vegetation and on the soil and on the edges of the concrete.

I think it is some kind of spreading fungal infection in the soil.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:54 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Do you have neighbors? Do they have the same kind of sidewalk/road situation? What's their grass like?

Old 10-09-2018, 03:20 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
I suggest a soil test. They're inexpensive and will display lots of information about your soil, usually with recommendations for remediation.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:47 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I was wondering the same thing, but I don't think that is from dogs doing their business on it. It's too widespread and even, not patchy. When the picture is magnified I can see obvious black spots on all the dead vegetation and on the soil and on the edges of the concrete.

I think it is some kind of spreading fungal infection in the soil.

I didn't catch that little hand to enlarge...and then the capability to enlarge yet again. Wow. That's some tough looking 'grass'.

Sometimes the question is why is some of my grass green. Why is some of the grass surviving?

I see what looks like a mouse at the very very bottom when fully enlarged about middle.

Yes, what about your neighbor's grass in this strip? Is it all one long strip till the sidewalk where you cross? We have lived on streets like that. Some people called that strip the "devil strip" because it was so hard to keep looking good, to do anything with and it was known to be where animals did their business. At one point I discovered a neighbor would just let his dog out a few times during the day to go...where?...to that strip along our road between sidewalk and curb. And when confronted the neighbor was upset and said his dog just likes it there.

So is it private to your property? Or perhaps at least bordered by concrete top and bottom so that the area is sort of yours so you can maintain it as you like? Or is it part of a long strip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden