Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 02:13 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,357,219 times

Advertisements

"in fact a live Christmas tree should not be inside more than about 2-3 weeks." ...2 to 3 days is more like it.
I've successfully planted many Norway and Blue Spruce, zone 7 over the years....hole was pre-dug, prepared and covered with plywood, tree came indoors on Christmas eve, planted on 12/26. Norway Spruce are much faster growing than Blue.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 04:04 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
OP here's what your local extension service says about planting daffodils...
https://newsok.com/article/2767282/i...spring-flowers

Old 11-09-2018, 04:55 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,368 times
It'll grow. Done it at our last 3 homes. Just gotta have the hole dug now before it gets too hard.
Good luck

Old 11-09-2018, 07:31 PM

7,028 posts, read 4,891,679 times
I might plant a blue spruce, but not a pine tree. I've got so many of those around my lot that I'd give them away to the first person who wanted to cut them down. Do people know what a pine tree looks like as it gets larger?
Attached Thumbnails
Purchase a live Christmas tree and then plant it?-5-right-side-looking-towards-left.jpg  

Old 11-09-2018, 08:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Keep it outside in the pot until the ground is warm enough to plant it, or dig the hole now, as someone else mentioned. That's what I would do.

I used a live Norfolk pine as a Christmas tree for many years. They can live indoors if there's enough light. Mine was underneath a skylight, grew to 12 feet or so.
Yes, Norfolk’s can stay inside, we have one, and at work the office has several 6-8’ tall. They are tropical, and not really a Pine despite the name, but can make a nice Christmas tree.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:16 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
I bought a Christmas tree with a root ball one time and planted it in the ground later on. Can't remember how I did it. The ground is frozen solid in winter so I think I must have taken the tree outside after Christmas (I didn't have a garage at that house) and just laid it on the ground until spring. Even if I had dug a hole in October, the soil around it would have been frozen by the end of December. Maybe protect the root ball with layers of some kind of insulating material--or maybe since it's a cold weather tree, the roots can freeze and it will still live.

This was in Connecticut. It wasn't a huge tree, just a Blue Spruce average size Christmas tree. Whatever I did, the tree lived and thrived.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:56 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times
Better know what the tree looks like as it grows bigger!!!

Old 11-10-2018, 02:13 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,312,269 times
Once when we had first christmas in this house here tree was a well rooted in pot pine tree. Kept it moist and moved it into the garden early january winter that year was mild not much cold/frost and today it is a tall christmas tree very nicely grown.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:15 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
I loved seeing different sized pines in people's yards in CT. I'm sure they were Christmas trees planted through theyears.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:39 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I loved seeing different sized pines in people's yards in CT. I'm sure they were Christmas trees planted through theyears.
Probably evergreens/conifers, not pines. Spruces are used for Christmas trees, not pine trees. White Pines are extremely common here and they are a junk tree. They are the first to grow where developers have ruined the soil or fire has destroyed the forest. Up springs a White Pine. Trouble is, they grow tall and spindly, their brittle branches constantly snap off and make a mess, their roots are shallow so they tend to get blown over easily. The lower branches all break off until you only have branches up near the top. The trees and their branches fall onto houses, cars, and power lines. Some neighbor used to call them petticoat trees--something like that--because the few branches that remain at the top look like a little skirt.

Also, they are constantly dropping pine cones for you to rake up. If they're not dropping pine cones, they're dropping pine needles for you to rake up. Terrible yellow pollen in the spring to be allergic to. They grow really fast so if you are so unfortunate as to have one in your yard, you will have to trim it often. The wood is very soft and not good for burning or for making much of anything. I always used to wonder if there is anything good about the White Pine.

They also reproduce really fast so you have to keep pulling up baby pine trees. AND, if you are unfortunate enough to have one near your driveway, the sap drops onto cars and makes the paint peel off. My parents lived in a place called Pine Valley--so I know, LOL. How we hated those seemingly innocent pine trees!

Last edited by in_newengland; 11-10-2018 at 10:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden