Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times

Advertisements

There is a video about home building/remodeling where it was suggested that before you close off an area with sheet rock, that you sprinkle some boric acid in that area to thwart any passing insect that might happen to be in there.

How long do you think boric acid would be effective for in an enclosed cavity? Would diatomaceous earth be a better substitute or even a combination of the two?

Planning on doing a bathroom remodel and was thinking of placing something under the bath tub area as a form of insurance. Don't really have any bug issues any more than your average southern Mississippi home. Any roaches we have seen are mainly in the bathroom areas due to the moisture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 06:24 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
How long do you think boric acid would be effective for in an enclosed cavity?

Indefinitely. It doesn't degrade.

Would diatomaceous earth be a better substitute or even a combination of the two?

Perhaps a combo. In that area there could be moisture caused caking that would mildly reduce effectiveness.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Yes, diatomaceous earth must remain dry to be effective. I use it in my greenhouse vegetable garden but it has a drip irrigation system so the water is controlled and doesn't contact it. I have had Japanese beetles and ants, both eliminated with it. Boric acid has a more limited use, it must be ingested by the pest, and it's not as safe for children and pets, though that doesn't matter inside a wall cavity.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:24 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Diatomaceous earth will be more effective over the long run than boric acid.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:23 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Diatomaceous earth is a mineral, formed from lava. It doesn't have any active ingedients. It works on killing insects because it has "sharp" edges and cuts the insect when particles of it get on insect. It doesn't dissolve or wear out nor is it toxic. Where as boric acid is toxic to insects and can degrade and dissolve.

A combo of both would probably be good.

I've actually seen some people promote the ingestion (yes eat it) of diatomaceous earth, not that I would do that.

I think diatomaceous earth has been used as insulation.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 PM

50 posts, read 54,168 times
We used both when we redid our floors last year, and redid a few walls. ( went from crappy paneling to drywall).

Just dusted all the studs and joists and insulation liberally, and so far, no problems with pests.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,241 times
Exclamation Diatomaceous earth not formed from lava!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Diatomaceous earth is a mineral, formed from lava. It doesn't have any active ingedients. It works on killing insects because it has "sharp" edges and cuts the insect when particles of it get on insect. It doesn't dissolve or wear out nor is it toxic. Where as boric acid is toxic to insects and can degrade and dissolve.

A combo of both would probably be good.

I've actually seen some people promote the ingestion (yes eat it) of diatomaceous earth, not that I would do that.

I think diatomaceous earth has been used as insulation.
Diatomaceous earth is the tiny bits of ancient (fossil) marine organisms with silica shell bodies. These organisms are known as diatoms, hence the name of the earth composed of their remains.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:14 PM

137 posts, read 120,345 times
I put DE in one of those plastic squirt condominent bottles when we redid out flooring and baseboards. I squirted a line all around the perimeter than we added the baseboard over it. It has seriously helped! This was about 7 years ago and this is the first year we are seeing some spiders that weren’t there before....no roaches, ants or other ickies. Just a few spiders every now and then. I’ll never do another remodel without that!

Old 08-02-2020, 06:45 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times
Default sasie 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, diatomaceous earth must remain dry to be effective. I use it in my greenhouse vegetable garden but it has a drip irrigation system so the water is controlled and doesn't contact it. I have had Japanese beetles and ants, both eliminated with it. Boric acid has a more limited use, it must be ingested by the pest, and it's not as safe for children and pets, though that doesn't matter inside a wall cavity.

I was planning to purchase some D/E for my container plants, but that means that I cannot water them, since it must remain dry to be effective?

Old 08-03-2020, 08:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
I was planning to purchase some D/E for my container plants, but that means that I cannot water them, since it must remain dry to be effective?
Correct. The only options I know of are to use it on the leaves, and water only the soil, or re-apply it a day after you water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden