Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 AM

16 posts, read 96,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
You may try posting this in the pet forum under cats.. They may be able to help.
I posted here, thinking other gardeners with the same issue might have insight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
You can't keep your neighbor's cats out of your garden.

If you can find an effective way to keep cats out of a garden you can become a millionaire.
Ha, yea, I know nothing I do will be 100% successful (aside from catnap and relocation, which isn't an option)... but I sure hope to find that million dollar answer ... I'm not sure which neighbor's the cats belong to, but they have collars and tags - so they have homes inside somewhere close by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
There is a plant that has a smell that cat's don't like and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. I'm pretty sure it's a perennial and you typically see it in a 4-inch container. I'll have to think hard about this one because the name is eluding me.
Let us know if you remember the name... I'll try the pepper spray too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 11:02 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
I want to say it's called Mosquito Plant......still thinking

Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
How to Keep Cats Away From Yards | Cat Repellents

Lots of info on getting rid of cats including a link to the sprinklers.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:14 PM

5,335 posts, read 4,423,566 times
Unlike most here I am not a cat lover. After working in my garden one year and sliding face first into some cat poo I began my attack against the cats that were attracted to my yard. While I don't like the little creatures I searched for natural ways to rid my beds of these pests. The most important thing you need to remember is that if you go the natural route you must be vigilant. You will have to "treat" your beds every few days and after each rain.

This is easy to make. Mix together:

2 parts cayenne pepper
3 parts dry mustard
5 parts flour

I kept a used spice bottle with a shaker lid and used that to store and sprinkle the mixture around the perimeter of the garden and on top of the previously soiled areas.

I also used crushed red peppers in the same manner.

NOTE...anytime working with hot peppers used a covering over your nose and mouth so you do not inhale it.

Spread your used tea leaves or citrus peels around plants. Cats hate the smell of citrus. You can also plant catnip in another area of your yard to attract cats away from your beloved flower beds or veggie garden.

If part of your landscaping includes holly spread some leaves in your garden. Cats won't walk on them. Same with rose stems. Just remember that they are there before you reach in or walk barefoot! Broken up pinecones work too.

Cats also hate the smell of mothballs! You can lay some out under your plants.

Try spraying vinegar around the perimeter ontop of mulch. Vinegar can kill plants and grass so be careful. Gin works too!

Give these a try. Something is going to work!

Old 04-11-2008, 12:15 PM

5,335 posts, read 4,423,566 times
And if all else fails...get a supersoaker! It will scare the crap out of them but it doesn't hurt them.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:36 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
mothballs will keep squirrels from eating your tulip bulbs too.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:54 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,524 times
I'm laughing (at myself) because I also tried the mothballs. It didn't work, but you could smell my yard a hundred feet away. And the supersoaker. It does scare them at the moment but they come right back.

I had to think about what my time is worth. How much of my time do I want to spend on spreading new cayenne pepper products (capsicum), keeping a leaky supersoaker "loaded" and ready by the door, or being a lunatic chasing cats with the garden hose or a handful of stones to throw. Not that much.

I did ultimately find a solution to the cat problem, after 3 years of an uncooperative neighbor, but I can't post it publicly. One thing that does help is to definitely not use any cedar mulch around your plants and trees. They're attracted to cedar.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:30 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
There are some good suggestions in the cat forum. Do a search. I did, when we encountered the same problem with a neighbor's cat.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
There are several zoonotic parasites humans can get from cat feces. You're lucky you and your family and guests didn't get feline roundworms or hookworms, etc., after eating the tomatoes.
Well, if the tomatoes grow off the ground anyway, and you wash them before eating them, I don't see the problem. Live and let live.

Except for squirrels.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:03 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
As I mentioned in another thread, my neighbor has about a dozen wild feral cats that poop in my yard and it drives me crazy. They also walk back and forth in front of my windows which drives my two dogs crazy. I started a little Koi pond in the back yard and then I started noticing missing fishies. I had to put wire over the pond to keep the cats out, so that pretty much destroyed the look of it. My biggest complaint is just the smell of the poop. They scratch the mulch up into little piles, and then when I spread it back out the odor nearly knocks me down. I accidentally stuck my finger into it once too. I planted tea olives along my property line for the fragrance. Now I smell the tea olive mixed with cat poo, and it's disgusting. I did read somewhere that cats don't like to step on sharp objects, so I spread out some sweetgum balls, but they just go around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden