Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 05:43 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,230,685 times

Advertisements

Deterrents?

Wire mesh fencing, but then you need to periodically check to see if holes have been dug under; then plug them with big rocks.

If you see intruders - then some shots with the hose may scare them off for a bit.

After that - it's time for BlackOps. No poisons, but there are quick stop tactics.

I've employed all of these. Works for the most part. I don't spend good money and time to feed varmints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 06:24 PM

531 posts, read 452,680 times
Well, one thing that works but is a pain to set up is chicken wire. You dig a trench around your garden, six inches deep and one foot wide, buy four-foot chicken wire, fold it into an L-shape, and bury the base in the trench. So they can't jump over and can't burrow under. Except if they do get in, they forget how to get out, so you see them looking at you from inside the fence early in the morning.
Unfortunately, the wire gets rusty and disgusting after a year. The plastic wire doesn't stand up on its own.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:35 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
A recipe for rabbit stew?

Old 07-05-2019, 06:38 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
A recipe for rabbit stew?
See post #6

Old 07-05-2019, 06:40 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Jack Russel Terrier. Amazing, and fun.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:12 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Yes, a dog like the barking idiot next door is a major deterrent. Clover, too, and rabbit fencing is easy if they have something to eat outside your cheesy little wires. I use cheap as heck wire fencing and rabbits are too lazy to dig six inches, so no trenches or any of that here. Stick it in, give them something else to chew on, and plant densely.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:09 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheCat View Post
My wife makes a concoction out of chili powder which she sprays around her perennials. It seems to work, but you know, this summer has been kind of rainy.

https://www.hunker.com/13429471/home...cayenne-pepper

I use a Hav-A-Hart trap, medium size, baited with apples. I relocate them at least 3 to 4 miles away. Put the trap where you see them. Some of the smaller rabbits will not trip the trap door, so add a little weight to it (either a flat rock or a magnet).
Relocating an animal is inhumane....what if the animals you are removing is a mother who has babies that will be left abandoned?

Old 07-06-2019, 06:39 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Relocating an animal is inhumane....what if the animals you are removing is a mother who has babies that will be left abandoned?
True! Rabbits leave their babies during the day, only returning at night.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:53 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
I never had a rabbit problem in my previous garden, because the house next door had a completely overgrown back yard that was a fox's favorite haunt. I'd see the fox coming and going across my yard regularly.

House was sold in 2011, new owners cleared the property down to the bare soil and turned it into a manicured landscape. Fox was gone, rabbits moved in, and all my favorite perennials because Rabbit Buffet. I never realized how effective a nearby resident fox was in keeping rabbits well away, lol

Rabbits aplenty in my current neighborhood. I'm in the process of re-doing the garden (prior owner planted tons of invasive perennials, all of which I dislike and will take at least 2 years to eradicate) and every perennial and shrub I am putting in will be on the "rabbit resistant" list.

Luckily there are enough of those that I like and are suitable for my conditions. For example I will be sad about not having lilies but glad that I will still have hardy geraniums; I'll miss the campanulas but will be happy to have epimediums; etc.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:23 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I have a rabbit that currently lives under our deck that's low to the ground and surrounds a big tree. It wintered over under there during the polar vortex. It killed three Azaleas and nearly killed a rose bush. I have a big garden and I had some fencing around some of the cages. It was a little foot high ornamental fence and I watched it jump over it and go thorough one of the small squares in a fence I was using somewhere else. It didn't eat any of the vegetables. I guess it doesn't like green peppers and it never touched the kale either. I had one eat my hostas one year but this one didn't touch any of them. I was going to trap it in the humane trap and re-locate it but our neighbor is attached to it and it isn't bothering anything. My Yorkie loves chasing it around the yard. I bought some carrots for it but it didn't eat them either. It's pretty picky and very friendly. I've been within a foot of it. If it survives the coyotes and stays the winter I'll just get some rabbit pellets and put some straw under the deck. I really enjoy having it as long as it behaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden