Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times

Advertisements

riv
I will make you a bag of clippings from the front when I mow next
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 08:36 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
There's an older book called "Compost This Book!" by Tom Christopher and Marty Asher that I have found very helpful. It talks about the science behind composting, but also is funny and very readable. Sort of like Click and Clack on composting. I just googled it and there are lots of copies out there if you can't find it at the library.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:54 AM

253 posts, read 1,740,652 times
I also don't have much "brown" to add to my compost - dead grass clippings, leaves, and such. I've always read to keep your compost mixture 50/50 of green & brown - but because I live in such a warm climate (southern NM) it breaks down quite fast. I dump greywater from my kitchen into the bin every few days, and turn over the entire pile about once a month to chop any clumps up with a shovel. If it's too wet, I rip up some brown paper bags and mix them in.

I like the Earth Machine model bin, like this:

I have the best results with this kind. I acquired a tumbler model from a friend and hated it - very difficult to turn around and a real pain shoveling the compost out - the opening was barely wide enough to get a shovel in. I've also had good results just digging a shallow pit in the ground and piling stuff in, chopping everything up with a shovel, and watering it every few days. But again, this is in a very hot climate and may not work well everywhere.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
riv
I will make you a bag of clippings from the front when I mow next
Thanks Karla, you always come through! Soon you will have nothing left on your yard (I've been "adopting" some of Karla's extra plants ) !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
There's an older book called "Compost This Book!" by Tom Christopher and Marty Asher that I have found very helpful. It talks about the science behind composting, but also is funny and very readable. Sort of like Click and Clack on composting. I just googled it and there are lots of copies out there if you can't find it at the library.
Cool, I will check that out. We have a great used book store in town and they have lots of old out of print books...they just might have a copy there . That's an easy title to remember .

Old 04-17-2008, 08:25 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
I also don't have much "brown" to add to my compost - dead grass clippings, leaves, and such. I've always read to keep your compost mixture 50/50 of green & brown - but because I live in such a warm climate (southern NM) it breaks down quite fast. I dump greywater from my kitchen into the bin every few days, and turn over the entire pile about once a month to chop any clumps up with a shovel. If it's too wet, I rip up some brown paper bags and mix them in.

I like the Earth Machine model bin, like this:...

I have the best results with this kind. I acquired a tumbler model from a friend and hated it - very difficult to turn around and a real pain shoveling the compost out - the opening was barely wide enough to get a shovel in. I've also had good results just digging a shallow pit in the ground and piling stuff in, chopping everything up with a shovel, and watering it every few days. But again, this is in a very hot climate and may not work well everywhere.
I'm in a warm climate too, so maybe I won't need much "brown" either . Between newspapers, brown paper bags and feathers, I think I'll be okay with the brown ratio.

I've looked at some similar models to yours and I'm still debating. It definitely needs to be dog-proof so the dogs aren't pulling stuff out . I figured the models that are off-ground would be out of everyone's way, but I've heard complaints about the tumbling aspect you mentioned, so I'm still looking. If I purchase a composter, it will be a birthday gift for me, so I still have time to browse .

If anyone else has compost bins they like or don't like, I'd love to hear .

Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM

287 posts, read 897,226 times
Just wondering about the dye in the newspaper...safe to use for compost?

Old 04-18-2008, 02:32 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
Just wondering about the dye in the newspaper...safe to use for compost?
Most ink used by newspapers is soy or water based. The glossy magazines I would stay well away from. The ink can be metal based.

BTW: I think composting can actually break down many of the pesticides used in gardening today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden